Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x18 - Cat and Mouse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Cat and Mouse

[Image: AdJbKcZl.jpg]

Episode: 1x18
Air Date: April 20, 2012
Synopsis: While investigating a string of murders, Nick and Hank learn that their suspect's crime wave began overseas. When Nick discovers the suspect is being harbored by none other than Monroe and Rosalee, he realizes he's hunting the hunted, a freedom fighter trying desperately to escape the clutches of a creature bounty hunter.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)
Really? Is no one besides me partaking in the Grimm rewatch this week? This is the second best episode of Grimm ever. And no comments? Did they move up labor day in the United States, and someone forget to tell me? This episode is awesome, and would be my favorite except next week's episode, Leave it to Beavers, is even more awesome.

All I can say is Edgar Waltz rulez. I've wanted to watch the actor in Supernatural, but his role is post-season 5 of that show, and I could barely get through season 5 as it is. Waltz is a great example of how to write a villain. The bad guy doesn't need some gay powers, or be the devil incarnate, or a walking god. He simply needs to be interesting, and able to shock the audience's sensibilities. Never has a character been so casual about shooting random strangers in the street, as the Waltz. That's what makes this character so terrifying. I wish more science fiction/fantasy/horror shows would take a note from this awesome Grimm character, and craft their villains accordingly.

This episode is also very interesting in regard to its initial take on the Verratt. That wessen organization was originally supposed to be introduced in episode 8, but they deleted Renard's scenes in that episode that involving Stark, and delayed it to now. I really don't see much of a change between the organization described in episode 8 and this one but I guess they were still debating on where to take the show at that point. I guess that original idea worked.
(08-03-2013, 09:57 PM)HellJacket Wrote: [ -> ]Really? Is no one besides me partaking in the Grimm rewatch this week? This is the second best episode of Grimm ever. And no comments? Did they move up labor day in the United States, and someone forget to tell me? This episode is awesome, and would be my favorite except next week's episode, Leave it to Beavers, is even more awesome.
Sureley someone is watching.But in germany we have sunny weather Wink

(08-03-2013, 09:57 PM)HellJacket Wrote: [ -> ]This episode is also very interesting in regard to its initial take on the Verratt. That wessen organization was originally supposed to be introduced in episode 8, but they deleted Renard's scenes in that episode that involving Stark, and delayed it to now. I really don't see much of a change between the organization described in episode 8 and this one but I guess they were still debating on where to take the show at that point. I guess that original idea worked.
Oh, that´s interesting. I didn´t know it.
I like this episode.
In german TV they let Walz talk french with Renard. That was pretty funny, because the synchronously speaker speak terrible french. Big Grin
I was wondering why Nick is all time not very intersted on things like the Verrat, Resistens or the Royals. If I were Nick, I wanted to know everything about this stuff.
(08-03-2013, 09:57 PM)HellJacket Wrote: [ -> ]He simply needs to be interesting, and able to shock the audience's sensibilities. Never has a character been so casual about shooting random strangers in the street, as the Waltz. That's what makes this character so terrifying. I wish more science fiction/fantasy/horror shows would take a note from this awesome Grimm character, and craft their villains accordingly.

He sort of has an Anton Chigurh quality. He doesn't have any big speeches or motivations. He's just a guy doing his job, a job that seems to be as void of meaning as flipping burgers. ;__; These are the creepiest kinds of antagonists. The scenery-chewing big bads are all right, but the ones that are really terrifying are the 9 to 5, just "taking orders" types. Brrrr ...

Nick's starting to get pretty casual with the whole "cover up the weird monster stuff" too this episode. Guess the rules fly out the window when you're dealing with Wesen.

I want more of the Verrat/Renard/Royal/Resistance story in Season 3. I'm glad the writers haven't forgotten it, but it's been on an extremely slow burn for a while. Moar plz. I dig tangled webs. Smile
I like this episode, just couldn't find the time to rewatch till today.

Renard is no puppet of the Verrat, Nick is solving Renard's problem to get rid of Waltz without getting his hands dirty.
We meet a polite and helpful Lausenschlange just to see him being killed - too bad Big Grin.
Also sorry about the poor Maushertz camera-salesman, he was cute.
Rosalee made me smile when she said "Freddy made some mistakes"- I imagined Helljacket throwing things at his TV...
Nick meets Ian - great scene Cool
Both Renard and Nick keep playing their different games, it's really fun to watch and to know more than they do.

-Gretel pulls the german drawer-
"Wenn Sie verstehen, was ich sage, dann lassen Sie mich mal wissen" (a bit awkward as usual) If you understand what I say, come on and let me know.
Hundjager - again the pretty little points are missing Big Grin "Hundjäger" = "dog hunter". I think it sounds like someone who hunts dogs. More likely they mean a hunting dog, this would be a "Jagdhund".
"Verrat" - "treason" My personal little problem with this word: Are they really traitors? Of whom? They have an agenda, but do they commit treason? Of course, the german translation doesn't have to mean anything Rolleyes
Freidenreden - in this word someone mixed up the letters i and e. This word has to be "Friedenreden" - "peace talking". Funny enough, if I remember it right they used Freidenreden for the german version, too.
Wogs 6
Head count 4

This episode’s literature link is from another Grimm tale I never heard of called Iron Hans. So the writers seem to be trying to keep with Grimm tales but their connection to them has become increasingly tenuous. I wonder if they have started writing the episodes first and then trying to find some connection later.

No wonder HellJacket likes this episode. Waltz is undoubtedly the smartest criminal we have met, yet.

Hank tells Nick he was drugged by Adalind and woke up with two people in the room. I think the writers left something on the table here. At least it could have been a funnier story.

Lots of good back story filled in here. Verat, Royal Families, and the key.

So Nick tells Hank to get rid of the body and then takes Ian away in handcuffs. Then apparently changes his mind and lets him go. I’m still not sure about the ending. The concept of Nick taking Ian out in handcuffs might have just been done to make the scene more dramatic. But maybe Nick did only just change his mind. We have been watching Nick bend laws all season long. But is this most clear case of him doing the “right” thing despite the law? Or his most dramatic deviation of being a law abiding cop?

In this kind of story, where the hero learns about his role in the world, the hero usually has a teacher, i.e. Buffy had that guy with the accent. Superman has his fortress. Nick has his trailer. I hope in season 3 Nick hides the trailer better.

After watching this episode I’m wondering if former President Reagan was working for the royal families. Or maybe he was a weson, too. Of course if you open that door you have to start wondering about Bush (I and II) and Cheney, too.
(08-05-2013, 07:41 AM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]No wonder HellJacket likes this episode. Waltz is undoubtedly the smartest criminal we have met, yet.
Out of curiosity, who would you put as a smarter "criminal"? The only weakness I would say for The Waltz is that he didn't suspect that Nick and a Fuchsbau would be working together (which is actually a good assumption based on what we have seen in the show. Grimm usually only work with other grimm or royals.). Though, I really just put this on the writers having to tie up the episode really quickly, and many times they've resorted to a similar cop out, so I'm not going to hold it against them here.

Based on the villains we got in season 2, I'd say The Waltz is smarter than all of them (except maybe Renard's brother or the Baron, but we don't have enough data on them, yet).
Really good episode. Jammed-packed with significant new information. One of the best parts of the story is Edgar Waltz. Him and his 1926 P08 Luger. A fascinating killer - ruthless, cold-blooded, as amoral as a cosmic collision, but with the same destructive potential as one. He delivers his messages of violent intent in such a beautiful, almost lilting, voice. The contrast in tone of voice and verbal content is really scary. Waltz as Hundjager may be loyal, but his 'philosophy' as told to Rosalee seems more like the self-preservation-driven objectiveness of the sociopath. But Rosalee's response to his little speech, something like, 'Sorry, I wasn't listening', made me want to cheer at her bravery. It's a shame that such a well-conceived bad guy should be used in just one episode.

Think it's significant that Renard refuses to cooperate with EW and the Veratt, and doesn't seem to want to be involved in stopping the Resistance, but not sure if it's because of motives of self-interest only or something more.

I really like Ian Harmon. Must be going through some kind of wesen/celebrity lookalike phase, because I keep seeing a Fuchesbau Richard Dreyfus lying there in Rosalee's shop when he woged. But he's a leader of the Lauffer/Resistance movement against the royals and their diabotical plan to rule the world, no less. And a journalist. And on the run from those who want to stop his work. Heroic stuff and I hope the writers bring him back. Freddie's part in getting false passports and other ID's for fugitive wesen involved in the fight, shows the conflict has come to this country already and that Ian's warnings should be taken seriously. But they seem to be lost on Nick just now, but he is taking in so much about his Grimm responsibilities and history, that we can't expect too much. He made a morally difficult decision to do the right thing (they made many allusions to that concept in this episode) in letting Ian go free because a trial would bring out the connection between him and Monroe and Rosalee. That ending tied up the story so well and is one of the reasons it's one of my favorite in the first season.
(08-04-2013, 09:09 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]He sort of has an Anton Chigurh quality. He doesn't have any big speeches or motivations. He's just a guy doing his job, a job that seems to be as void of meaning as flipping burgers. ;__; These are the creepiest kinds of antagonists. The scenery-chewing big bads are all right, but the ones that are really terrifying are the 9 to 5, just "taking orders" types. Brrrr ...
Anton Chigurh is a very good analogy, even though, personality-wise, The Waltz and him are very different. What made Chigurh very scary for me was his incredibly weirdness, which meant you really had no clue what he was going to do next. The Waltz subscribes to a strange sort of realpolitik, where he doesn't care about anything as long as he gets his job done. That also results in the audience having no clue what he's going to do next. Based on this, the Waltz and Chigurh appear to be from the similar schools of hitman code of conduct.
Ok, you got me to look up Anton Chigurh. So how bout this: Waltz was more like "The Operative" in the film Serenity.
Pages: 1 2