Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x13 - Three Coins in a Fuchsbau
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Three Coins in a Fuchsbau

[Image: KHaFJual.jpg]

Episode: 1x13
Air Date: March 2, 2012
Synopsis: While Nick and Hank look for rare coins that were the target of an robbery that ended in homicide, a friend of Aunt Marie's arrives with information for Nick about his family.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)
Wogs 3
Head Count 3

This time the beginning quote is from a story included in the Grimm’s Fairy Tales. According to Wikipedia it was originally a Norwegian Fairy Tale. I just read the summary but I don’t see anything in this episode that has much to do with the Fairy Tale. In the past, I have overlooked things. So Grimmsters, what do you think?

I think this was a pivotal episode. Probably the most important thing was the introduction of the coins and the mystery surrounding the death/murder of Nick’s parents.

There were a lot of Weson in this episode. Quite a bit of action, too.

Captain Renard got a lot of screen time. And we got to see him without a shirt again. I guess we had some more Renard Reveals again. The phone call he made to his French friend and how the coins affected him. But again I felt like it posed more questions than answers. And still, a season and a half later those questions are still unanswered.

I must have some kind of architectural envy syndrome. I really like Captain’s Renards apartment.

Something I caught in the re-watch. There were 10 of those coins in the Nazi’s hands. So there are still at least seven unaccounted for.

One of the common topics in the forums and fans sites is how Nick/Juliette/ and Wu must be getting suspicious. Have we ever mentioned the Medical Examiner? She keeps seeing the weirdest stuff and even in Season 2 she hasn’t gotten suspicious.

Every time Juliette does something nice, I have to comment on it. I guess its my over-reaction to all the hate Grimm fans gave the character as the season wore on. But here again she gives her help to Nick in investigating his parents’ death. She is such a nice girlfriend!

What do you think of Hitler being a Weson? I know some fans thought it was sort of cool watching the old film. But some didn’t like blaming Hitler’s evilness on the supernatural.
Outstanding episode. It's probably been mentioned before, but there was no Fuchsbau shown in this ep, at least I couldn't see one. Guess it was the jeweler.

This is a big and important episode if the writers have any sense of continuity. And Farley Kolt may be on Kelly's trail right now if he stays true to form. That is a good thing for season three potential, imo, because I really like both of them. Thing is, can't figure if he's a good guy or a bad guy. He had the letters and the old film of Hitler in his hotel room. (Nick's got it all now!) The Kehlsteinhaus mentioned in the OSS (pre-CIA) letter is an actual lavish retreat built on a mountain in Bavaria as a 50th B'day present for Hitler (also called the Eagle's Nest, courtesy of Google) and when the coins were discovered there they were transferred to a government-owned vault in the U.S. for security. So maybe Kolt has a connection with our military and is part of why they were stolen from the vault (then how the heck did the jeweler get his hands on them?). But it was Kelly who had them at the time of the auto accident, so maybe not. Hopefully, we'll find out more this next season. Odd that Marie and Farley were engaged in view of all of this. Points to him being a good guy, tho'.

The Captain was brought under the sway of the coins immediately and they seemed to give an already ambitious person an intense desire to lead and possibly dominate. And they brought out an awful aggressiveness in Hank, so we can see how corrupting they are. Reminds me of the One Ring in LOTR.

Wonder if only a Grimm can see the wesen transformation on film (looked like actual footage of the Nuremburg rallies). It's a near-heresy, because I love him, but I can't help but see an evil Dan Ackroyd when Hitler wogesSmile
This is one of my favorite episodes, and in terms of Grimm's ultimate television style, probably the most important episode. Before this episode, the producers of this show were trying to do a Fairy Tale meets Criminal Minds procedural. However, this is where they say "fark it", we suck at writing police procedural crime mysteries, so let's change the entire tone of the show (though, Last Grimm Standing had much of this tone also, but wasn't a complete break). Beginning with this episode, Grimm is now the Indiana Jones and the Supernatural Antique Roadshow ™. I believe that the following conversation, while possibly apocryphal, may be fairly accurate of what actually happened.

David Greenwalt: This show just isn't going to work at its current pace. We can't keep making stuff up on the fly. We also are pretty bad at ripping off Criminal Minds. We haven't even figured out how wessen recognize that Nick is a Grimm yet. Once the audience catches on, we're doomed.

David Greenwalt: Grimm will be a one and done season unless we change how we're going. I just know it. Sure, we'll get a bunch of hardcore fans like Firefly and Jericho did who will hold sad pathetic conventions devoted to Grimm and decry the untimely death of a great show but that won't get us a paycheck. We might have to go back to waiting tables. Dammit, Jim. I'm a producer, not a waiter.

Jim Kouf: Hey, remember that National Treasure movie I worked on a while back. That was a big hit, and the plot was all over the place. I wrote the screenplay, and even I have no clue what was going on half the time. We gotta do the same thing.

David Greenwalt: We gotta hire Nicholas Cage?

Jim Kouf: No! David, but let's keep that idea on hand if we make it to season 4. I'm talking about the story. We gotta do something to fool the audience into thinking we know what we're doing.

David Greenwalt: But Jimmy, how do we do that?

Jim Kouf: I got it. People like shiny old crap. We can use that knowledge to keep the suckers, umm, I mean, our fans, returning week after week hoping for an update on the shiny old crap. Remember that key we gave Aunt Marie? Let's have it unlock a huge crusader treasure.

David Greenwalt: But Jim, we can't afford that. Do you think NBC is going to pay for that? They sent us to the Friday Night Death Slot so we would hurry up and get cancelled, and no longer have to pay us.

Jim Kouf: You're right, David. We need to do something now to keep the "fans" tuning in. We can mention the huge crusader treasure at beginning of next season to keep them coming back, but we need a solution now.

*light bulb go off above Jim and David's heads*
Jim and David speak at the same time: Indiana Jones!!!!

David Greenwalt: Those movies have lots of fans and neither Spielberg or Lucas could keep the story straight half the time. Hell, all we need to do is mention something cool like the Holy Grail or the Ark, and people will keep coming back for more.

Jim Kouf: No, we can't do something that's well-known, unless you want the History Channel doing a bad documentary about the "Treasures of Grimm." Remember, where is the real money for TV shows made? Merchandising. Merchandising. Merchandising. We gotta come up with something new.

David Greenwalt: How about a ring?

Jim Kouf: No, too Tolkien.

David Greenwalt: Well, what kind of totally useless stuff do you find at antique shops?

Jim Kouf: COINS! I got it, it'll be Three Coins of something something. We can figure out what the "something" refers to later.

*lightbulb goes off*

Jim Kouf: Dude, we gotta have damn Nazis. What were the best Indiana Jones movies? Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade. Do you why they were the best? Because the audience had damn Nazis to hate.

David Greenwalt: Oh, you're right. And when you're right, you're right. And you - you're always right.

Jim Kouf: *imagining Hitler becoming a wessen* Send in the Nazis.

*And we got Three Coins in a Fuchsbau*

/had more fun writing this, than most will have reading it
I like this episode, beginning with this typical bad-guy conversation, they nearly shoot each other already, they are so sweet.Smile

The fairy tale quote is from the Grimm-fairytale "The Master-Thief", it's nice to read, just google it. I wasn't familiar with it before. And there's no connection at all to this episode, none that I can see.

(07-20-2013, 05:21 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably been mentioned before, but there was no Fuchsbau shown in this ep, at least I couldn't see one. Guess it was the jeweler.
The jeweler had to be the Fuchsbau, otherwise the title would be stupid... OK, that's still possible Wink
I like the title, Fuchsbau means fox hole as mentioned before, you can easily hide small things in a Fuchsbau, so there's a double meaning in the title. The jeweler hid in his safe like a chased fox in it's hole, didn't he?

(07-20-2013, 05:21 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]And Farley Kolt may be on Kelly's trail right now if he stays true to form. That is a good thing for season three potential, imo, because I really like both of them. Thing is, can't figure if he's a good guy or a bad guy.

That's what I like about Farley Kolt: He's not "good" or "bad" he simply has his own agenda. Another possibillity: he's "good" but can't resist the coin's influence. I like him and would like to see him again.
End-of-season-1-spoiler:

Spoiler :
It's still open if he survived Akira Kimura. I like to think so.

Concerning Hitler: I've mixed emotions whenever I see this mass-murderer in another context than history. You could think all of his crimes were partly not his fault but the coin's. Confused

@HellJacket: I loved your dialogue Smile

German remarks (if someone's interested)
Monroe "We got a little Deutsche Geschwierigkeit"
There's no such word as Geschwierigkeit, but Schwierigkeit means difficulty.
Steinadler: stone eagle
Schakal: Jackal
bis später, Alligator: see you later, alligator (nonsense, but it rhymes nicely)
"see you later, alligator" is an American colloquialism. Similar to "In a while, crocodile".
Gretal, Monroe's German farewell "bis spater, Alligator" to Nick and his answer "bis spater" was so cute and reminiscent. As Lou pointed out, back in the day we used to have a very popular saying that went "See you later, alligator" to which the response was "After while, crocodile." Took me back. There was even a song recorded by Bil Haley and the Comets called "See You Later, Alligator".

Spoiler :
Your spoiler remark threw me as I had forgotten about that. Going to have another look at the episode and see if I can stretch, tear, spindle, and fold events to fit in with a 'Kolt lives' model!

Just read something about 2013 Comic Con in which David Greenwalt is quoted as saying that the writers and producers are only about two episodes ahead of what the players know about where the show is headed. So HellJacket knows of whence he speaks about these brain storming sessions!

Also liking "Three Coins in a Fuchsbau in a Fuchsbau" for a titleSmile
There's one funny bit of dialogue that no one ever talks about regarding this episode. It seems very few people recognize the comedic genius of the following bit of dialogue.

"Where are the detonators?
– Flynn has them.
– I don’t have them.
– They’re your responsibility.
– Packed them.
Well, I don’t see them
."

Maybe it's because Die Hard is almost 30 years old, but Hans just cracks me with that scene every time.

/Hans Gruber approves of Hans Roth
OHMYGOSH!
That totally went over my head.
(07-21-2013, 07:21 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]OHMYGOSH!
That totally went over my head.
Also, it is worth noticing that a group of Europeans are trying to break into a vault (like in Die Hard). I think Grimm needs to abandon ripping off fairy tales, and needs to rip off 1980s action movies instead. The writers seem pretty good at it.

Here's my list of movies that I want Grimmified:

1.) Tango and Cash
2.) The Terminator
3.) Rambo: First Blood Part II
Pages: 1 2 3