Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x12 - Last Grimm Standing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last Grimm Standing

[Image: sB5BIkI.jpg]

Episode: 1x12
Air Date: February 24, 2012
Synopsis: An underground fight club where monsters participate in blood battles is tied to a murder that Nick and Hank are investigating.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)
Head count – 3
Wogs – 4

The opening quote, according to the Grimm Wiki is from “Androcles, written by Latin author Aulus Gellius in the 2nd century.” I always thought this was one of Aesop’s fables. My guess is that in the beginning the writers were looking at the Grimm Fairy Tales and trying to adapt them for this TV show. Now, I think they are writing the show and then trying to find some story that might be used as a connection. I can understand how a lion can’t get a thorn out of its paw. But how come Dmitri can’t pull a nail out of his hand? Obviously Dmitri hadn’t read that story or else he would have let Monroe go.

The story opens up at some nice old people’s house. I gotta give kudos to the guy who finds these locations. I love the houses we see in Grimm. The killing of these nice old people really doesn’t further the plot. It provides an opportunity for the special effects guy to get in some blood and guts, though. Oh, and maybe more importantly it provides a murder, so the PPD can call in our favorite homicide detectives Nick and Hank.

This episode has some nice Juliette moments. The first one, when she finds the engagement ring that Nick bought before all the weird stuff happens, is a very nice moment. And the scene with her at the end of the episode, after she has been stood up on their anniversary, provides a nice counterpoint.

One of the things I have learned by re-watching Grimm is to pay attention to people’s names. The bad Lowen in this one is called Leo Tamer. Oh, c’mon writers. You can do better than that.

It seems like we haven’t had any action scenes in a while. Nick and Monroe battling it out with Dmitri in a cage match with maces and shields is pretty wild.

It also seems like its been a while since we were subjected to stupid criminals. But, kidnapping two guys from the same gym, on the same trail, close to the murder scene, and then moving and abandoning their cars at the same place, near the former site of their fight club is pretty dumb.

This episode provides us with more Renard clues – but it seems to pose more questions than answers. Strangely enough, a season and a half later, I still have the same questions.
This is one of my favourite episodes again. Thinking about the relationship between Nick and Monroe it's the first time Nick can show real loyalty by risking his life for him. But even here: Monroe ends up in this situation because of - Nick. Monroe keeps on solving Nicks problems.

(07-12-2013, 08:04 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]I always thought this was one of Aesop’s fables.... I can understand how a lion can’t get a thorn out of its paw. But how come Dmitri can’t pull a nail out of his hand? Obviously Dmitri hadn’t read that story or else he would have let Monroe go.

Thank you for that very interesting hint, I would have missed Aesop.

(07-12-2013, 08:04 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]The killing of these nice old people really doesn’t further the plot. It provides an opportunity for the special effects guy to get in some blood and guts, though.

On german TV, they cut all of the murder scenes. The same with Monroe in the cage, no cages were shown, no Aesop link, no tattooed meat. It had to be suitable for children of 12. I was so dissapointed, they ruined it. Rolleyes

(07-12-2013, 08:04 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]This episode has some nice Juliette moments.

Juliette adds some tragic to this episode. The audience knows very well that Nick absolutely wasn't able to be there in time, it was quite possible he would never made it back to Juliette again. But she had to be dissapointed, for her (as clueless as she is) the anniversary was the most important aspect of that day.

(07-12-2013, 08:04 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]This episode provides us with more Renard clues – but it seems to pose more questions than answers. Strangely enough, a season and a half later, I still have the same questions.

I agree. What kind of "church" is this? Renard showed respect and asked for help. He never did something like this to anyone befor or after that, as I remember. What kind of creature killed Leo? Was it the priest himself?
"Leo Taymor, Leo Taymor" - I even said it out loud a couple of times. But clever boots here decided there was no special meaning to the name (cheese and crackers, it even sounds like 'tamer' - how thick can you get.)

This episode is rich with symbolism and archetypal meaning. For you younger posters, there was a movie made in the '50's, i think, starring one my favorites, Victor Mature. It was called "Demetrius and The Gladiators". Dimitri is a common varient of name Demetrius. Don't see ary other similarities to this story, tho'.

The 'just butter' telephone scene with Nick and Juliette really portrayed a young couple in love, and the one that followed w/Juliette finding the engagement ring is bittersweet (like Gretal says) because we know that trouble is coming to Paradise.

Monroe mentioned in his narrative to fill the audience in on what gives, that the Lowen or lion was king of the jungle before being netted into the Roman arena. Based on that, I am seeing one royal stand up to another in the scene where Renard puts Leo on notice. And I thought I could see in the Captain's eye that Leo better put his affairs in order when he said 'no' to the command.

Having a little trouble with Monroe's not woging into a Blutbad and getting all up in that croc's face when they fought, but it's all good. That Colosseum gladiator scene was really a good one, with Nick showing he's got game. It was fast and I missed it on the first pass, but when that cretan tried to climb into the ring to kill Nick, Monroe cold-cocks him and presumably saves Nick's life - now that's more like it, Mr. BBW. Seems Nick's blood was up at the end there, and Monroe had to try to bring him down a notch; humorous. Noteworthy also that Nick won the contest with Dimitri and tried to spare his life. New-age Grimm.

The whole church scene toward the end of the episode is both tantalizing and unfathomable to me. I think it was a Catholic church because of the confessional and the priest's garb. There was alot of churchy conversation, including a biblical reference to there being nothing new under the sun, whose meaning I didn't get. But it did seem evident that Renard, Leo, and the priest are members of the same organization. Said organization's rules having been broken by Leo, who is found to be beyond redemption, the penance of being torn to pieces is given (whatever happened to three Hail Mary's and an Our Father.) It really seemed that the priest is the means of deliverance to me. Maybe he is the illusive schnietmacher (sorry if I fractured the spelling) we've been talking about!
(07-12-2013, 08:04 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]The story opens up at some nice old people’s house. I gotta give kudos to the guy who finds these locations. I love the houses we see in Grimm. The killing of these nice old people really doesn’t further the plot. It provides an opportunity for the special effects guy to get in some blood and guts, though. Oh, and maybe more importantly it provides a murder, so the PPD can call in our favorite homicide detectives Nick and Hank.
I gotta disagree with the above highlighted comment. The murder is what brings Renard to take on this wessen-issue. Without the couple dying, Renard does not really have a reason to confront Tamer (or learn that Taymor is using people off the "acceptable" candidate list). It also provide a baseline showing the audience how wessen can go "wild." Really, pretty much every wessen we've met up until now is "house-trained." This murder shows the audience how a normal average citizen who is also a wessen, can become a bloodthirsty gladiator. While the chosen explanation is a bit silly, I do consider it necessary.

And as you say, the murder got Nick and Hank involved. There always needs to be that domino in every episode.

(07-12-2013, 08:04 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]It also seems like its been a while since we were subjected to stupid criminals. But, kidnapping two guys from the same gym, on the same trail, close to the murder scene, and then moving and abandoning their cars at the same place, near the former site of their fight club is pretty dumb.
Here's my list of stupid criminals in Grimm up until now.

1. The pot farmer who was using national park land.
2. The child molester who attacked Holly, the blutbad girl.
3. Every character in Of Mouse and Man.
4. Soccer mom bear who falls into a bear trap. (Really, one of the dumbest scenes in the show, even if ironic)
5. The kids in Danse Macabre who try to frame Roddy.

So, considering this is episode 12, it appears about every other episode has a stupid criminal. And looking at the above list, it appears that the writers don't put much faith in non-wessen as more than cheap plot devices. Personally, in supernatural shows, I'm a strong believer that the regular humans should always be the most interesting characters, but too many TV writers do not understand that truth (which is why shows likes Heroes become terrible). Grimm was actually following this guideline well until they made Renard a half-hexenbiest.

But in regard to Leo Taymor and the games, I don't consider this case exceptionally stupid. Taking two victims from the same gym isn't that much different from the Geiers in Episode 10 who kidnapped kids who had all been to the same free clinic. It's also no different from our bluebeard who kept a dungeon of kidnappes at his very own establishment while even going to local bars to pick up possible candidates. Or how about the blutbad from the pilot who kidnapped a little girl in broad daylight while on his mailman route. Given how each episode is only about 42 minutes, it's always best for fans to avoid nitpicking a show apart (well, unless you enjoy nitpicking, then go ahead). It can be done with any episode, but most fans don't realize it.
RE: Stupid criminals.

I don't know why I feel compelled to defend these guys intelligence. but here goes.

1. Stupid pot farmer
Even if it is stupid to farm pot on Government Land. Not so much anymore but it used to be inadvisable to go hiking too far off trail in some areas of Northern California because you could inadvertently stumble across someone's plantation. So even if its stupid - its common. However that guy and his brothers were idiots. How they could mistake the dog grooming hikers for cops or pirates is beyond me.

2. Attempted child molester of Holly.
Well, he didn't know she was a blutbad (neither did she). He must have gotten her to go away with her without anyone knowing, too. shoot, he just about got away with it, too.

3. Mouse and men.
Not sure if anyone was stupid. The mouse guy was just deranged.

4. Momma bear.
Momma bear was just in a rage. She didn't know there was a bear trap. She was just rushing to her cubs defense.

5. Teenage quartet.
Their first attempt to get Roddy was successful and they got him suspended and out of the ensemble. They were probably just emboldened by their success. The rats in the car was just a stupid high school prank. it might have been successful if the teacher didn't have a heart condition and died. And if two really sharp detectives hadn't been assigned to the case. Smile

6. Bluebeard
More like arrogant than stupid. if he was even the least it cautious he might have pulled up stakes when the woman got killed on the bridge. certainly he should have at least stopped hunting. then again, the ending was somewhat ambiguous. Maybe he got away - then his arrogance is deserved.

7. The Geiers.
if Hank and Nick didn't get involved because of the kid in the river - they might have gone completely undiscovered. those other kids hadn't been reported missing - except for in their original home towns. in fact, maybe only other run-a-ways even knew they were in portland. Just bad luck that one of the cops on the case was a Grimm. I don't know, but they might have even had a certain police captain in on their scam. I got the feeling Renard knew more than he let on.

8. Pilot - mailman
I think the little girl was an impulsive thing. he just couldn't resist a little red hoodie. Again, he probably would have gotten away with it except for Monroe helping out Nick with his nose.

But back to my original point. Kidnapping Dimitri from the trail may have been just a good opportunity, despite that he was last seen at the gym and then known to have gone to the trail. But why ditch his car near the first fight club? that seemed foolish. then taking the rhino guy from the same trail and then dumping his car in the same place. That just seems doubly foolish.
(07-13-2013, 08:46 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]There was alot of churchy conversation, including a biblical reference to there being nothing new under the sun, whose meaning I didn't get.

Since it's sunday, I think I should write down the church scene for you Angel

Forgive me father, for I have sinned.
But that’s not why you are here.
No, I have an issue with a fellow parishioner. He has lost respect.
So we have one who astray.
I’m afraid so.
You’ve made an attempt to return him to the fold?
I have, but he no longer fears the sword here or hereafter.
Sometimes the lost lamb is he most important to god.* Is he beyond redemption?
Unfortunately.
So you don’t need my forgiveness.
No, I need your wrath.
When?
Now.
Give me a few minutes to get changed. As it was before…
…so shall it be again.**

°°The Holy Bible, English Standard Version°° Wrote:Luke 15:4
What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it?
5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’
7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

** the closing sentence seems like a signing. They both want to reestablish the original status of respect and obedience. One way or (in this case) the other.

The scene has clearly a catholic touch, I agree with speakeasy. Perhaps this special circle of royals and their priests use catholic-based rituals and clothing, perhaps they even use their buildings.

(07-13-2013, 08:46 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe he is the illusive schnietmacher (sorry if I fractured the spelling) we've been talking about!
That's possible, but then it's no reaper. Reapers don't walk on all fours like this creature did, don't they? And don't worry about the spelling Smile . Since I don't know what it is, I don't know how to spell it either.

(07-13-2013, 02:32 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]3. Mouse and men.
Not sure if anyone was stupid. The mouse guy was just deranged.
Go, Helljacket, go! -waving cheerleader pompoms-
Quote:Gretal Hanselsister Wrote:That's possible, but then it's no reaper.
Nice catch, Gretal; I saw that the wesen was running on four legs when the camera showed us how the target looked through his eyes. Also, this wesen is getting the job done by tearing Leo to pieces; he's a paws-on kind of mauler, and doesn't wield a scythe; opposable thumbs needed for that. So, the search continues for the phantom wesen because I think it's a sort of Reaper, too.

As to the puzzle of Renard's group affiliation, it remains as unknowable as the mysteries of the rosary are for me at this time, but we do have some information about it that we didn't have before. It's a well-configured organization that relies on the discipline of its members in following the rules and dispatches a 'one strike and you're out' kind of punishment for breaking them! Kinda reminds me of the Mafia. Also, Renard seems to be at the top of Portland's branch of the order, because he refers to Portland as being his canton.
Spoiler :
The three groups I can remember are the Alliance, the Lauer (sp), and the Veratt. If it's one of these, thinking it's the first.

Don't know how it looked to others, but Sauly looked like he was separated at birth from Woody Allen to me!
I really like this episode. Mysterious, unexpected and a lot of fighting action Smile
Have you noticed, that the prist woges like the mama bear.Ie as complete animal. We didn´t ever seen Monroe or Rosale as a wolf/fuchs. Of course they changed her faces, but all Wesen are walked on two legs and have a human like body.This brings me to the thought, that maybe a Wesen which has very strong powers can woge into a full animal.
(07-14-2013, 08:12 AM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]As to the puzzle of Renard's group affiliation, it remains as unknowable as the mysteries of the rosary are for me at this time, but we do have some information about it that we didn't have before. It's a well-configured organization that relies on the discipline of its members in following the rules and dispatches a 'one strike and you're out' kind of punishment for breaking them! Kinda reminds me of the Mafia. Also, Renard seems to be at the top of Portland's branch of the order, because he refers to Portland as being his canton. [spoiler]The three groups I can remember are the Alliance, the Lauer (sp), and the Veratt. If it's one of these, thinking it's the first.

I thought Renard is working for the resistence?!? Not always, when you remember the words from his brother at the end of season 2, but at the moment.
@FrauleinWunderlich - i think you're right about the Resistance. Began to wonder where I got name Alliance from and researched a little and don't think there is oneBlush
Pages: 1 2