Grimm Forum

Full Version: The writers of Grimm..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Gang,

So...it seems some of you are real show buffs (really, really into the details), so I thought I would leverage your knowledge.

Re, the writers of Grimm. Are the writers consistent from season to season, new ones each seasons, a bunch of freelancers or contract type bidders?

It seems to me the discontinuity and lack of character development could be easily and understandably explained if the scripts were being delivered by the team of the season or the freelancer of the week. That use to happen with a lot of long running old serials, which is in part, why there was little character development that carried on form one episode to another and each episode tended to stand alone and could be watched in about any order.

Ever curious, but too lazy to do the research myself,

Izod
(01-12-2016, 06:01 PM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]Gang,

So...it seems some of you are real show buffs (really, really into the details), so I thought I would leverage your knowledge.

Re, the writers of Grimm. Are the writers consistent from season to season, new ones each seasons, a bunch of freelancers or contract type bidders?

It seems to me the discontinuity and lack of character development could be easily and understandably explained if the scripts were being delivered by the team of the season or the freelancer of the week. That use to happen with a lot of long running old serials, which is in part, why there was little character development that carried on form one episode to another and each episode tended to stand alone and could be watched in about any order.

Ever curious, but too lazy to do the research myself,

Izod
Look in the credits you will see different writers write different episodes. I think that is the reason for the lack of consistency. They writers are allowed to express their ideas. This is definitely you can not take seriously. I find it best to ware blinders to avoid the pot holes, while trying to enjoy the ride. A ride that is like navigating the country without a map or destination.
I think the entire four seasons and this one included are just fine. I have no trouble understanding the episodes or the overall direction of the program.
As I am unable to write more than a few words before becoming confused and off topic, I think its good there are several writers on the payroll. Most people can do a job only so long without become stale and repeating themselves. This show is in its FIFTH season, not many get that far (Star Trek only lasted three). On most series longer than 2 seasons you can predict the plot lines, how the actors will react, and not expect any surprises. Same old, same old. This show is one of the few that has kept my attention for this long. I expect the staff to "lie" when doing interviews, I don't want to know how it will end.
I think it's good for the writer's to shake things up and still stay true to the show without doing too much damage. I just don't like being lied to. i.e. Nick is going to be dark and vengeful. Which he is anything but.
(01-13-2016, 09:44 AM)crossbar Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's good for the writer's to shake things up and still stay true to the show without doing too much damage. I just don't like being lied to. i.e. Nick is going to be dark and vengeful. Which he is anything but.

I don't like being lied to either.

However, eric brought up the old Star Trek series which made me think of something. Back in those days, writers were just that...writers. I may be wrong, but I believe Start Trek was probably the first to have a fan convention. With that, they paved the way for the stars themselves to be under scrutiny (will anyone ever forget Shatner's 'get a life'?

Now conventions have been expanded to include all walks of the production, including the writers. And with the writers come all kinds of fans pestering them for information. I can understand hesitancy to reveal aspects of the upcoming story. What kind of viewership would have occurred if the writers simply told us who shot JR?

So what should the writers do? Simply shrug their shoulders and say they don't know? Of, instead say that they're not revealing anything about the upcoming season?
One of the things that made Star Trek so memorable was the quality of the writing.

It was the first really serious sci-fi show to be on TV. As a result, they had people like DC Fontana, Theodore Strugeon, Alan Dean Foster, etc.. doing scripts. Hard to go wrong with the kind of talent they had willing to work for them. Smile
(01-12-2016, 06:47 PM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]I think the entire four seasons and this one included are just fine. I have no trouble understanding the episodes or the overall direction of the program.

Gotta disagree with you there. The genius in the writer's room who thought swapping Adalind with Juliette was a good idea only supplies further evidence that the people behind the scripts are pretty much flailing in the dark.
(01-13-2016, 11:22 AM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: [ -> ]One of the things that made Star Trek so memorable was the quality of the writing.

It was the first really serious sci-fi show to be on TV. As a result, they had people like DC Fontana, Theodore Strugeon, Alan Dean Foster, etc.. doing scripts. Hard to go wrong with the kind of talent they had willing to work for them. Smile

I loved it too. But it had its issues as well. Look at how many times the main characters "died" and were brought back to life.
(01-13-2016, 11:22 AM)Hexenadler Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-12-2016, 06:47 PM)speakeasy Wrote: [ -> ]I think the entire four seasons and this one included are just fine. I have no trouble understanding the episodes or the overall direction of the program.

Gotta disagree with you there. The genius in the writer's room who thought swapping Adalind with Juliette was a good idea only supplies further evidence that the people behind the scripts are pretty much flailing in the dark.
If you think Grimm switching characters is bad. I would suggest you not watch "Once upon A Time". On that show they switch a number of characters. Some worked some did not. If Eve is hexenette then the change will be a good one. What could mess it up is if they have her hanging on to Juliette. If the rest of the group can't get past the change fine that as conflict. Eve hanging on would just make her pathetic, and would keep her from owning being Eve.
Pages: 1 2 3