Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x07 - Let Your Hair Down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Let Your Hair Down

[Image: XRVqZHKl.jpg]

Episode: 1x07
Air Date: December 16th, 2011
Synopsis: Nick and Hank investigate a murder in the forest which is connected to a missing-person case, and Nick has to ask Eddie for help when it turns out the missing person is a feral creature.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

It's Friday, and the Grimm Rewatch at Grimm Forum continues with "Let Your Hair Down"

Your Thoughts on this episode?

The thread for Episode 8, Game Ogre will be coming later tonight. Stay tuned!
Great episode!

Did someone recognise Juliettes remarkable instinct? She talked about a child abuse background way before the cops thought of it.

Holly Clark is again a blutbad - when we saw the season the first time, we never would have thought that later we learn about a new Wesen every single episode. I liked it to get deeper in a creatures culture, way of growing up and so on. Usually we only scratch the surface of a Wesen, too bad.

Mr. Allison grabbed the wrong child for his purpose, he got what he deserved. I just like the story they built around the Rapunzel fairy tale, it's really creative, it wasn't easy for me to identify the basic fairy tale first.

And: I loved to see Susan Ivanova again. Big Grin.

A few questions are left for me: who on earth built that solid and spacious hut on that tree in this height? A little girl? I doubt it.

What happened to the poor doggy-wash-owner at the end? Will he rot forever in that basement? They didn't solve this.

Monroe in Santa Claus mood - so sweet again! And once again we have a "nice" german word for the kind of Wesen Santa belongs to - Gefrierengeber, what can be translated with "to freeze giver". I'm quite sure the writers create a lot of those words with a dictionary. And not a big one. When you do this, you get infinitivs all the time (Reinigen - to clean; Gefrieren - to freeze). But I like the idea of Santa Clause being a Wesen Smile .
Don't think Christmas in Germany is as colorful as Monroes living room. Most of us prefer it more natural, real candels or at least natural-looking electric ones. A christmas decoration like Monroes looks american for german eyes- and of course this style has got it's fans in germany, too!
(06-21-2013, 01:48 PM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to the poor doggy-wash-owner at the end? Will he rot forever in that basement? They didn't solve this.

That is the mystery of the ages. Poor dude.

(06-21-2013, 01:48 PM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]And: I loved to see Susan Ivanova again. Big Grin.

Heh, another B5 fan on the boards? Sweet. Smile

For me, this was the first episode where things really gelled; a couple previous episodes were sort of close, but this one was better at it. I think part of that was because Nick and Monroe seemed to be really working together instead of Nick just asking for information. Monroe is still reluctant at this time, but I like to think that he saw just how different Nick was from other Grimm by this point. Nick helped a semi-wild Blutbad despite the risks. Right there, he's nothing like his ancestors.

I'm kind of disappointed they've never had any follow up with Holly -- she is a Wesen living in a human household so there are many, many ways that can go wrong.
(06-21-2013, 08:20 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]Heh, another B5 fan on the boards? Sweet. Smile
Throw me into this category as well. I would actually consider this a bad episode except that the presence of Ivanova raises it to average.

Anyways, I'll maintain my role of dissenter for the early Grimm episodes. This one is really nothing special. It's involves a mystery that the audience always knows the answer to (i.e. Holly was a blutbad and that's why she never returned to human civilization). Therefore, there's no "surprise" that hits the audience. While the story for this episode sounds interesting if someone told me to it, the execution is pretty weak. The pot farmer and his brothers are cheezy and lame villains. Also, Holly isn't particularly interesting while on screen.

I think this episode would make for a more interesting piece as an anthropological journal article than as a Grimm episode. Another reason I dislike this episode is that I really like the Rapunzel fairy tale, and this half-azz treatment means it'll be a long time (if ever) for me to see a quality Grimm treatment of that story. Lame.

But everyone is free to disagree with me.
Head count – 2 -3. Not sure about the guy that Nick shot.
Wogs. Lost count. Holly and Monroe traded a lot of wogs
Apples – Hank and Nick made a few calls but nothing obvious
Bridges – no bridges in this one.
Architecture – No really nice houses in this one but I think Monroe’s Christmas decorations must count for something.

First, I really like the way all the previous episodes had Grimm Fairy Tale connections. Ok, I’ve been told the Three Pigs isn’t a Grimm Fairy Tale but it still counts as a Fairy Tale – doesn’t it?
Ok, no doubt this was a re-imagining of Rapunzel. But it was pretty weakly connected. Holly had long hair and lived high off the ground. I didn’t see any other connections. Oh, and the witch’s garden was important in the story – maybe the pot farm stood in for that, Or the burdock root.
Well, despite the lack of fairy tale connections I really liked the story. This story seemed to have more contemporary issues that some of the other episodes. First there was the pot farm, which really is a big problem on public lands. And then the child abuse/ child abduction/missing child issue which is definitely a contemporary issue.
I did have a problem with the bad brothers. Are they too stupid or what? I think their over-the-top stupidity made them implausible to me.
I know from the Pied Piper episode that Hank and Nick have been getting better at making up police reports but how are they going to make these facts work. Since Hank wasn’t there Nick gets to make up the stuff and not only does he have to fool the Captain (or at least think he can) but he sort of has to fool Hank (who probably won’t make too big a deal out of it anyway)
First, how does Nick explain Monroe, and if he tells Monroe to hide, doesn’t he then have to explain both ATVs. Ok, maybe he can make up a good story there. But then how does he explain how dead brother #2 got his neck broke just like dead brother #1? Or how Holly got shot?
And doesn’t Holly need years of therapy. I thought we would see her again; maybe just once in a while she could be visiting Monroe when Nick would stop by. Or maybe Monroe could fix her up on a date with Rat Boy.

(06-21-2013, 01:48 PM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]A few questions are left for me: who on earth built that solid and spacious hut on that tree in this height? A little girl? I doubt it.

What happened to the poor doggy-wash-owner at the end? Will he rot forever in that basement? They didn't solve this.

I think it might have started as a hunter's blind. but over the years Holly added to it. I can see how a young blutbad could haul up an ice chest. but I'm not so sure about the carpentry skills. though she could have secretly watched hunters and USFS personnel and learned from them.

I imagine that his girlfriend would call the police or at least the police would check out the bad brothers place either cause they are looking for him or just finishing up their police work. So hopefully he has been saved. but probably needs years of therapy.
(06-22-2013, 05:31 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, no doubt this was a re-imagining of Rapunzel. But it was pretty weakly connected. Holly had long hair and lived high off the ground. I didn’t see any other connections. Oh, and the witch’s garden was important in the story – maybe the pot farm stood in for that, Or the burdock root.

So help me, I laughed at this, but only because it made an odd sort of sense in a Grimm-logic kind of way. I feel dumb for not connecting the fairytale with the, um, modern day "forest gardeners". Rolleyes I don't know why, but this is just funny.

Like others said, the fairytale connection was weak. Grimm doesn't have to rely on stories too closely and it does well when the episodes take inspiration from stories rather than hew close to them. The show's more original plots tend to be better. I'm sort of glad that some of the fairytale things flew over my head the first time around, heh.

This episode still holds a place in my heart. I like it mainly because it was the first time Nick and Monroe really started to work together (as I've mentioned before).
(06-22-2013, 05:31 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, no doubt this was a re-imagining of Rapunzel. But it was pretty weakly connected. Holly had long hair and lived high off the ground. I didn’t see any other connections. Oh, and the witch’s garden was important in the story – maybe the pot farm stood in for that, Or the burdock root.

Ok, there are some minor things to add. The girl was taken by force from their parents. She was adopted, but they felt like parents and they took care as parents do, that's parent enough for me.
Her name is Holly, that's a plant name like Rapunzel is.
Burdock root, hm, that's a long shot, but Holly needs it or her fever could be fatal, isn't that close to Rapunzels mother who needs that "witch salad" to survive?
I liked this episode a lot... It was full of holes but the raw emotion in it carried it through for me... Oh and I loved seeing Ivonava even more than I loved seeing Kira from DS9 in BeeWare...
I am enjoying rewatching season one in general and liked this episode, but it's not a favorite.

In the sense that long hair is a feature of the fairy tale, there could be a loose connection between Rapunzel letting down her hair to use as a ladder and Holly using her very, very, long locks to kill the two bad brothers.

Like many other posters here, I would very much like to see Holly make another appearance; she will need to know more of her blutbad heritage and her mother doesn't seem to know that she is a wesen. The first time she woges in front of her mother will cause some consternation! And Monroe could be could be so helpful with easing her into her wesen role; some good story possibilities there.

My favorite line in the entire episode was Bud's friend challenging that he really knows a Grimm: 'Fifty bucks says you're full of tree sap.' Got a funny visual of woged Bud's bucky front teeth dripping tree sap.
I liked this episode. Like someone else mentioned, in this episode Nick and Monroe were working more together as a team than Nick asking for information. Monroe seems to be seeing that Nick is not like the other Grimms just as some of the other wesen are discovering Nick. I also liked that Hank got the chance to go back to an old case of his.
Pages: 1 2