Grimm Forum

Full Version: Lack of main character development in Grimm?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
I was thinking about Grimm when I first started watching it and as it is today. I can't really think of one main character that has really changed and grown since day one.

Take Monroe for instance. Izzy made a comment about the complexity of Monroe's character. I agree with that, he is a complex character. But has he changed and grown since day one? He got married. However, I still see the same guy in season four we saw in season one.

Is there a lack of character development in Grimm with regard to the main characters?
(10-25-2015, 12:02 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking about Grimm when I first started watching it and as it is today. I can't really think of one main character that has really changed and grown since day one.

Take Monroe for instance. Izzy made a comment about the complexity of Monroe's character. I agree with that, he is a complex character. But has he changed and grown since day one? He got married. However, I still see the same guy in season four we saw in season one.

Is there a lack of character development in Grimm with regard to the main characters?

I think that's definitely been a recurring problem with the series as a whole. Juliette underwent a major change in season four when she became a Hexenbiest, but IMO, the writers completely squandered the potential her metamorphosis could have offered.

Bud is the one member of the cast who should remain fundamentally the same throughout the series, since he often provides much-needed comic relief in a very gloomy show. But there hasn't been anything too interesting done with Nick lately, at least in terms of what we've seen from protagonists in a hundred other TV shows. (That ISN'T a suggestion to turn Nick into a villain, by the way! Between "Grimm" and "Terminator: Genisys", I've had enough of seeing formerly heroic characters pull a Darth Vader.)
(10-25-2015, 12:54 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: [ -> ]I think that's definitely been a recurring problem with the series as a whole. Juliette underwent a major change in season four when she became a Hexenbiest, but IMO, the writers completely squandered the potential her metamorphosis could have offered.

Bud is the one member of the cast who should remain fundamentally the same throughout the series, since he often provides much-needed comic relief in a very gloomy show. But there hasn't been anything too interesting done with Nick lately, at least in terms of what we've seen from protagonists in a hundred other TV shows. (That ISN'T a suggestion to turn Nick into a villain, by the way! Between "Grimm" and "Terminator: Genisys", I've had enough of seeing formerly heroic characters pull a Darth Vader.)

I don't consider Bud a major character. Every time I see him, I like him more and more though. In my opinion, he is the one character who has grown and become more complex since day one. He had a real fear of Nick and learned to overcome it. He also showed real courage in the episode where Monroe was kidnapped. Of all the characters, he turned out to be the real standout in that storyline.

I agree with you about Juliette. She is probably the worst example of a character with potential who was flushed down the toilet. When I saw her turn into a hexenbiest and scream at herself in the mirror, I was really excited for a new and different storyline. I actually could see some comedic moments with the hexenbiest vet treating patients' pets. Or, as a hexenbiest, being able to develop some concoction to treat some terminal pet malady like Parvo. Of course, actually being part of the Scooby gang would have been a good plotline for her as well.

The Juliette-now-becomes-a-hexenbiest-slut was also completely wrong, unbelievable and not worthy of her character.
(10-25-2015, 01:58 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]I don't consider Bud a major character. Every time I see him, I like him more and more though. In my opinion, he is the one character who has grown and become more complex since day one. He had a real fear of Nick and learned to overcome it. He also showed real courage in the episode where Monroe was kidnapped. Of all the characters, he turned out to be the real standout in that storyline.

LOL, I came to the same conclusion when thinking about the characters. Bud has grown the most, he is now tougher, willing to take a stand, and willing to throw down to protect a friend or even a friend of a friend.

I would say Renard has grown a bit too, in regard to his remorse of the jack killings. That was a bit of a departure from his established character. Also his concern for Wu, was a bit surprising.

And of course we may or may not see differences n Adalind, how much is acting vs real transformation remains to be seen
(10-25-2015, 08:40 PM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]LOL, I came to the same conclusion when thinking about the characters. Bud has grown the most, he is now tougher, willing to take a stand, and willing to throw down to protect a friend or even a friend of a friend.

Bud has become quite brave and defiant for an Eisbiber. Further proof that a Wesen needn't always be confined by their core nature. Juliette could have taken a few pointers from him.
I find this interesting in how do we rate character development? That is a subjective point each person can see it differently as I do. How much does even a real person change in 4 years unless there is a some major event.

I'll take each main character:

Nick find out he's a Grimm willing to ask for it from Monroe. I would say a big change for season 1. Season 2 take out the Juliette part, learn the royal and out to get him and meets his mother but he changes her on the wesen front helps Hank learn about wesen. Season 3 saves Diana from the royals even if he doesn't like Adalind. Works with Sean on some off the books problem. Trains Trubel and put her on a better path.
Season 4 again tries to save LBB from the royals. I could list more things I see as character develop, but granted others my not subjective.

Hank learns about wesen. Works with Nick to save Monroe. Understands his long time friend in a way he never would have without Nick. I see his character make major changes again subjective.

Renard (most complex character in series) in some ways we still don't know what his next move will be. Come 180 % from the first season (can't say full circle because he be back where he started Tongue). Yet we still with the king dead don't know how that will work into the Renard character?

Monroe in season 1 was a loner now he's out in the world working to help people. Has helped a Grimm of all things. Helped Rosalee in season 1 a total unknown but did it to help. Helped Hank like I said not a loner any longer.

Rosalee like the post on Bud had to overcome fear of Nick with Monroe help now is a main character and in some ways the backbone of the Scooby's. She has help ever member of the group in some way. Nick trusts her and the Scooby's with the keys.

Wu has faced his demons and won, maybe even more so than Hank. Trusts wesen when his first question was should we be hunting them do and killing them.

Subjectively I see all character have made major changes have grown into the parts and add to their parts.

But this and 5 dollars will get you a cup of coffee. Just my opinion.
(10-26-2015, 06:24 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: [ -> ]I find this interesting in how do we rate character development? That is a subjective point each person can see it differently as I do. How much does even a real person change in 4 years unless there is a some major event.

I'll take each main character:

Nick find out he's a Grimm willing to ask for it from Monroe. I would say a big change for season 1. Season 2 take out the Juliette part, learn the royal and out to get him and meets his mother but he changes her on the wesen front helps Hank learn about wesen. Season 3 saves Diana from the royals even if he doesn't like Adalind. Works with Sean on some off the books problem. Trains Trubel and put her on a better path.
Season 4 again tries to save LBB from the royals. I could list more things I see as character develop, but granted others my not subjective.

Hank learns about wesen. Works with Nick to save Monroe. Understands his long time friend in a way he never would have without Nick. I see his character make major changes again subjective.

Renard (most complex character in series) in some ways we still don't know what his next move will be. Come 180 % from the first season (can't say full circle because he be back where he started Tongue). Yet we still with the king dead don't know how that will work into the Renard character?

Monroe in season 1 was a loner now he's out in the world working to help people. Has helped a Grimm of all things. Helped Rosalee in season 1 a total unknown but did it to help. Helped Hank like I said not a loner any longer.

Rosalee like the post on Bud had to overcome fear of Nick with Monroe help now is a main character and in some ways the backbone of the Scooby's. She has help ever member of the group in some way. Nick trusts her and the Scooby's with the keys.

Wu has faced his demons and won, maybe even more so than Hank. Trusts wesen when his first question was should we be hunting them do and killing them.

Subjectively I see all character have made major changes have grown into the parts and add to their parts.

But this and 5 dollars will get you a cup of coffee. Just my opinion.

jsgrimm45, I will disagree with you that. Dodgy

Actually, I disagree on same parts. First, I understood your point and I agree with you when you say that no one has a big change on 4 years unless there a big happening in this someone life. The problem with that affirmation (in my opinion) is that we are talk about real life. We are talking about a story told in a TV series. Those stories, to be interesting, should describe the development of the story and this development affects the characters. I think grimm fail to describe the changes in the character.
Maybe the problem is not that the characters don’t grow. They grow. In my opinion the problem is that they don’t grow in the speed and direction I would like to see it. Explaining myself better… My problem with characters in grimm is that they only poorly react to things that act in the show… They don’t act first or they don’t learn, as a way to speak, with the happenings in their life. I am talking mainly about Nick.
Let’s compare Nick to Wu, for example. Nick learned he is a grimm and he stopped on that. We have talked about this in other posts. Nick never tried to understand how and why wesen reacts to him until Monroe wedding. Nick never tried to find other grimm. Wu, in another direction, as soon as he was told about wesen, he went to trailer and maybe he read more about the wesens described in the books than Nick did.

The way I see, Nick’s life changed because he is a grimm because different things happened. But I never saw Nick thinking being a grimm and how this would affect his life. He never talked to Juliette about this, for example.

Another sample, comparing Grimm to “Once Upon a Time” (I don’t like to compare different shows because I understand some times they have different ways to tell the story, but this time I will compare because I think this a good example of my point). In “Once Upon a Time”, for example, we see the evil queen trying to became a good person. The happenings in the show are always trying to send her in the bad way, bud she is always reacting to this trying to became good and to show to the others characters that she had changed. We see the changing. She is not just reacting but she is trying to have a better response to the hole story.

I don’t see this in Nick. He is not trying to assume control of his life. He is just reacting. I think this is what make us believe Nick is an underdeveloped character. The same goes to Juliette (even after the hexanbiest thing, she didn’t try to understand that and use it in her benefit… she just reacted to what the others characters did about this). Even the ones I think had some development, I think they could have had a better one, like Monroe, Rosalee and Hank.

I hope I could explain myself and could add some new perspectives to the debate.
(10-26-2015, 11:20 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s compare Nick to Wu, for example. Nick learned he is a grimm and he stopped on that. We have talked about this in other posts. Nick never tried to understand how and why wesen reacts to him until Monroe wedding. Nick never tried to find other grimm. Wu, in another direction, as soon as he was told about wesen, he went to trailer and maybe he read more about the wesens described in the books than Nick did.

The way I see, Nick’s life changed because he is a grimm because different things happened. But I never saw Nick thinking being a grimm and how this would affect his life. He never talked to Juliette about this, for example.reacting to this trying to became good and to show to the others characters that she had changed. We see the changing. She is not just reacting but she is trying to have a better response to the hole story.

It makes you wonder.....does Nick have a conscience or did he lose it once he became a Grimm? Kelly didn't seem to have much of a conscience and Trubel doesn't seem to be bothered by her actions either. Or is this just an oversight because the writers don't consider a conscience to be an important thing in the series?

I would love to see Nick as a hero in the series, and I'd be willing to show empathy if he once in a while voiced regret over killing a wesen, even if the wesen was breaking the law.
(10-26-2015, 12:12 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]It makes you wonder.....does Nick have a conscience or did he lose it once he became a Grimm? Kelly didn't seem to have much of a conscience and Trubel doesn't seem to be bothered by her actions either. Or is this just an oversight because the writers don't consider a conscience to be an important thing in the series?

I would love to see Nick as a hero in the series, and I'd be willing to show empathy if he once in a while voiced regret over killing a wesen, even if the wesen was breaking the law.

Truble was a Grimm young, she had to fight for her life, killing desensitizes the young, the military recruits the young for a reason. Consider this, men are not in their prime at 18, not even close but it is the last visage of major psychological shaping time left, hence the reason they are recruited at that age. In other words, I would not expect Trubel to have remorse, she is emotionally damed, apparently in many ways.

Nick on the other hand appears to be a sociopath.

I call them as I see them.
(10-26-2015, 12:26 PM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]Truble was a Grimm young, she had to fight for her life, killing desensitizes the young, the military recruits the young for a reason. Consider this, men are not in their prime at 18, not even close but it is the last visage of major psychological shaping time left, hence the reason they are recruited at that age. In other words, I would not expect Trubel to have remorse, she is emotionally damed, apparently in many ways.

Nick on the other hand appears to be a sociopath.

I call them as I see them.

Generally I would agree with you, except I would call all of them sociopaths; Kelly, Nick and Trubel.

But.......what if the intent of Grimm is for us to believe Nick is the hero. Could we be misinterpreting the characters due to lack of character development.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24