Grimm Forum

Full Version: Was it really possible for Nick and Juliette to have a normal life?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Was it really possible for Nick and Juliette to have a normal life?

I have read some arguments that Nick had the opportunity to have a normal life with Juliette when he lost his grimm powers.

Personally I don’t think it’s too easy like this. Nick having no grimm power doesn’t mean being no grimm. Nick would still have the knowledge, the Grimm diaries, the keys and the most important : the enemies.
Trubel had to threat a group of wesen that were planning against Nick since he had lost his powers. If it was not for Trubel, they would probably had attacked Nick. No normal life here.

The royals would not stop the searching for the keys. It would just be easier for them.

Josh’s father arrived at Portland searching for Nick witch means Nick is known out of Portland as the Portland grimm.

Since both Nick and Juliette know about the wesen world. Since they have wesen friends and know that. Since Nick already had made enemies for being a Grimm. Since Nick has two keys. Since Nick mommy was with a precious royal child. Since they have a teenage grimm girl living with them and actually protecting them, I don’t believe it would ever be possible for them to have a normal life.

What does the forum think?
This is kind of a brief answer and probably not what you're looking for, but they had the chance at a normal life and Nick passed it up. To me, he's telling the viewers he did not want a normal life. Because his mindset was that he didn't want a normal life, he wouldn't have been able to live one.
Hello Grimm People,
In reply to this question I'll go back to what Marie told Nick:
"That evening Nick is visited by his dying aunt Marie Kessler who explains to him that his duty is to kill the Wesen who start killing humans. Aunt Marie also tells Nick that he cannot marry Juliette, as it is too dangerous."
1. Nick has a DUTY as a Grimm.
2. Nick cannot marry as it is too Dangerous.
A "normal" life is impossible for Nick.
New Guy
(08-18-2015, 07:44 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]This is kind of a brief answer and probably not what you're looking for, but they had the chance at a normal life and Nick passed it up. To me, he's telling the viewers he did not want a normal life. Because his mindset was that he didn't want a normal life, he wouldn't have been able to live one.

I think we can divide this in two questions:
Did they want to have a normal life?
You are right in that. Juliette wanted. Nick didn't want. What I don't like in this plot is that they never talked about it. Nick never tried to understand Juliette about having or not a normal life.
Juliette also never tried to understand Nick. She accepted, but she didn't really know what being a Grimm really means. Actually I think Nick himself is still learning it. But the point is that they never really talked.

The other question is if this would be possible. In this case I think even if Nick and Juliette wanted I believe they would never have a real normal life.

Do this two questions add some ideas?

(08-18-2015, 08:17 AM)New Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Grimm People,
In reply to this question I'll go back to what Marie told Nick:
"That evening Nick is visited by his dying aunt Marie Kessler who explains to him that his duty is to kill the Wesen who start killing humans. Aunt Marie also tells Nick that he cannot marry Juliette, as it is too dangerous."
1. Nick has a DUTY as a Grimm.
2. Nick cannot marry as it is too Dangerous.
A "normal" life is impossible for Nick.
New Guy

New guy, I see your point and i think it raises a new question. Can Nick be considered guilty for what happened to Juliette since he didn't follow Marie advice?
The only Grimm we know of to the try a normal life was Josh's dad and we have no information on how he did it or how it worked out. As Nick has acted as a Grimm his chances for normal were gone never to return. I also agree that Juliette knew of the Grimm and wessn world but did not understand it, I don't think Hank and Wu do either before anyone points that out. Wesen understand Grimm's and Grimm's understand wesen they a common point that no one else has.

As pointed out Nick had to many links to the Grimm world to ever got out clean. He would have to turn over the keys and he's killed 3 reapers don't think they would care about him not being a Grimm and say oh well that's over, think they would say easy now to get their revenge and Juliette would have also been in danger.

Unless the writers put in a witness protection program for Grimm's who lost the powers.Big Grin Again a gape Nick can't be the only Grimm who lost his Grimm because there was potion to do it so it had to have been used in the pasted, what happen to those Grimm's?

Grimm's live in two worlds and wesen live in two worlds Juliette, Hank, and Wu live in one and know of the other. This was one of reasons Juliette when she entered the second world was lost, she was living a life unknown to her and now she also had the some problems with all Grimm's that any wesen has.

Now if Nick had been living like Josh's dad and lost his powers not a problem easy to adjust.

Like this thread has many thought lines to think about.
(08-18-2015, 08:20 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: [ -> ]What I don't like in this plot is that they never talked about it. Nick never tried to understand Juliette about having or not a normal life.
Juliette also never tried to understand Nick. She accepted, but she didn't really know what being a Grimm really means. Actually I think Nick himself is still learning it. But the point is that they never really talked.

It was a while before Nick chose to bring her into his Grimm world, so I can't completely fault Juliette for not trying to understand Nick. In her place, I would find it hard to understand a man who doesn't share his work with her. In Nick's defense, I've never seen Juliette come home and talk about a particularly difficult case she encountered in her work.

You mentioned something above about Juliette not knowing what it means to be a Grimm. I am curious if even Nick himself, Marie or Kelly knows what it means to be a Grimm, so here's a question for consideration.

Is being a Grimm a physical state or a state of mind?
(08-18-2015, 10:30 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2015, 08:20 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: [ -> ]What I don't like in this plot is that they never talked about it. Nick never tried to understand Juliette about having or not a normal life.

It was a while before Nick chose to bring her into his Grimm world, so I can't completely fault Juliette for not trying to understand Nick. In her place, I would find it hard to understand a man who doesn't share his work with her. In Nick's defense, I've never seen Juliette come home and talk about a particularly difficult case she encountered in her work.

You mentioned something above about Juliette not knowing what it means to be a Grimm. I am curious if even Nick himself, Marie or Kelly knows what it means to be a Grimm, so here's a question for consideration.

When I wrotte about being a grimm I was thinking more about the consequencies of it. In this matter, I think Marie knew about the consequencies and that is why she told Nick to get apart from Juliette.

In a more complete picture, I see your point: is being a grimm physical state or a state of mind? I would add: is being a grimm just about DNA? Does it have something to do with their actions, their behavior? In this point, I think none of them has the correct answer.

Writting about Nick and Juliette, your comment is exactly what I have in mind: how could they decided the best think to do about Nick grimm power if Juliette didn't understand exactly what it is? If Nick didn't understand either, it gets even worst.

My opinion: If Nick really wanted to marrie Juliette and share a life with her, she sould be part of his decisions, including this one since being or not a grimm affected Juliette directly. If Juliette believed they could get married and they could share a life, she should have tried to understand "what kind of life she was going to share". I see none of them really working to make their relation works. Maybe this post should go in the relationship post.

But why is it important? Because the answer to those questions will impact an answer for another question: What does it mean to have a normal life?

As @jsgrimm45 pointed, Josh father aparreently managed to have a relatively normal life with grimm powers. So, are the grimm powers the real issue about "having a normal life"?
(08-18-2015, 10:55 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2015, 10:30 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]

When I wrotte about being a grimm I was thinking more about the consequencies of it. In this matter, I think Marie knew about the consequencies and that is why she told Nick to get apart from Juliette.

In a more complete picture, I see your point: is being a grimm physical state or a state of mind? I would add: is being a grimm just about DNA? Does it have something to do with their actions, their behavior? In this point, I think none of them has the correct answer.

Writting about Nick and Juliette, your comment is exactly what I have in mind: how could they decided the best think to do about Nick grimm power if Juliette didn't understand exactly what it is? If Nick didn't understand either, it gets even worst.

My opinion: If Nick really wanted to marrie Juliette and share a life with her, she sould be part of his decisions, including this one since being or not a grimm affected Juliette directly. If Juliette believed they could get married and they could share a life, she should have tried to understand "what kind of life she was going to share". I see none of them really working to make their relation works. Maybe this post should go in the relationship post.

But why is it important? Because the answer to those questions will impact an answer for another question: What does it mean to have a normal life?

As @jsgrimm45 pointed, Josh father aparreently managed to have a relatively normal life with grimm powers. So, are the grimm powers the real issue about "having a normal life"?
Hello Adriano,
Thanks for helping this Forum be international.
A "normal life" is not pain free. There is disease, death, divorce, job loss and other problems that have affected all of us.
Our goal is to overcome these. John 16:33 comes to mind:
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
New Guy
(08-18-2015, 11:15 AM)New Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Adriano,
A "normal life" is not pain free. There is disease, death, divorce, job loss and other problems that have affected all of us.
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
New Guy

You are welcome. Thanks for sharing John 16:33. I really like this quote.

This makes me think: Maybe Nick and Juliette were in a false dilemma between normal life versus grimm life.
But I think the problem is about perception. @jsgrimm45 posted about Nick living in two worlds while Juliette lived in just one.

(08-18-2015, 09:17 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: [ -> ]Grimm's live in two worlds and wesen live in two worlds Juliette, Hank, and Wu live in one and know of the other. This was one of reasons Juliette when she entered the second world was lost, she was living a life unknown to her and now she also had the some problems with all Grimm's that any wesen has.

I think he has a point here. For Juliette living divided between two different worlds is not a normal thing to do. For Nick, maybe because of some kind of genetic memory, this is something natural. Maybe Nick didn’t even think about an existing dilemma while Juliette wanted what she used call as normal life back.

(08-18-2015, 09:17 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: [ -> ]The only Grimm we know of to the try a normal life was Josh's dad and we have no information on how he did it or how it worked out. As Nick has acted as a Grimm his chances for normal were gone never to return. I also agree that Juliette knew of the Grimm and wessn world but did not understand it, I don't think Hank and Wu do either before anyone points that out. Wesen understand Grimm's and Grimm's understand wesen they a common point that no one else has.

As pointed out Nick had to many links to the Grimm world to ever got out clean. He would have to turn over the keys and he's killed 3 reapers don't think they would care about him not being a Grimm and say oh well that's over, think they would say easy now to get their revenge and Juliette would have also been in danger.

Unless the writers put in a witness protection program for Grimm's who lost the powers.Big Grin Again a gape Nick can't be the only Grimm who lost his Grimm because there was potion to do it so it had to have been used in the pasted, what happen to those Grimm's?

Grimm's live in two worlds and wesen live in two worlds Juliette, Hank, and Wu live in one and know of the other. This was one of reasons Juliette when she entered the second world was lost, she was living a life unknown to her and now she also had the some problems with all Grimm's that any wesen has.

Now if Nick had been living like Josh's dad and lost his powers not a problem easy to adjust.

Good point about Josh father. But even he arrived at Portland running from some wesen that were hunting him because of the keys. So, I don't think that even Josh father would have a normal life. Actually... Josh is not a grimm at all, and he is being hunted because of his father. Trubel had to help him about this. The wesen hunting and all the other things is not just about being a grimm, but because all the involvement with the wesen and the royals world.

This leads to some questions I have already made in this thread:
What does being a grimm mean? Is it just DNA? Is it just physical or mental (as irukandji posted prior)?
Is this just about grimm powers? I mean: did Nick stop being a grimm when he loose his powers?

Another good point is about living in two worlds. Juliette (before the hexanbiest thing), Hank and Wu know about the existence of the wesen world, but they don’t live in it. Nick as a grimm lives in this world just like the wesens do. Nick lost his powers, but he didn’t lost his conscious about everything that does happen out there.
(08-18-2015, 01:13 PM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2015, 11:15 AM)New Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Adriano,
New Guy

You are welcome. Thanks for sharing John 16:33. I really like this quote.

This makes me think: Maybe Nick and Juliette were in a false dilemma between normal life versus grimm life.
But I think the problem is about perception. @jsgrimm45 posted about Nick living in two worlds while Juliette lived in just one.

(08-18-2015, 09:17 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: [ -> ]Grimm's live in two worlds and wesen live in two worlds Juliette, Hank, and Wu live in one and know of the other. This was one of reasons Juliette when she entered the second world was lost, she was living a life unknown to her and now she also had the some problems with all Grimm's that any wesen has.

I think he has a point here. For Juliette living divided between two different worlds is not a normal thing to do. For Nick, maybe because of some kind of genetic memory, this is something natural. Maybe Nick didn’t even think about an existing dilemma while Juliette wanted what she used call as normal life back.

(08-18-2015, 09:17 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: [ -> ]The only Grimm we know of to the try a normal life was Josh's dad and we have no information on how he did it or how it worked out. As Nick has acted as a Grimm his chances for normal were gone never to return. I also agree that Juliette knew of the Grimm and wessn world but did not understand it, I don't think Hank and Wu do either before anyone points that out. Wesen understand Grimm's and Grimm's understand wesen they a common point that no one else has.

Good point about Josh father. But even he arrived at Portland running from some wesen that were hunting him because of the keys. So, I don't think that even Josh father would have a normal life. Actually... Josh is not a grimm at all, and he is being hunted because of his father. Trubel had to help him about this. The wesen hunting and all the other things is not just about being a grimm, but because all the involvement with the wesen and the royals world.

This leads to some questions I have already made in this thread:
What does being a grimm mean? Is it just DNA? Is it just physical or mental (as irukandji posted prior)?
Is this just about grimm powers? I mean: did Nick stop being a grimm when he loose his powers?

Another good point is about living in two worlds. Juliette (before the hexanbiest thing), Hank and Wu know about the existence of the wesen world, but they don’t live in it. Nick as a grimm lives in this world just like the wesens do. Nick lost his powers, but he didn’t lost his conscious about everything that does happen out there.
Very good point fills a lot of gapes. In this thread an the crumbs thread.
Pages: 1 2