Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x01 - Pilot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Pilot

[Image: Ekggeou.jpg]

Episode: 1x01
Air Date: October 28, 2011
Synopsis: Nick thought he was prepared for the realities of working as a homicide detective, until he starts seeing things he can't quite explain.

We begin the Season 1 rewatch with the Pilot. What are all of our thoughts on the first episode of the series?
I'll post my episode 1 checklist from the other thread, since it'll probably get more hits here. My thoughts on the episode are that while I liked it, it's different in many ways from the tone that the rest of the series would take. This episode is more CSI, while later on, the series becomes more Indiana Jones.

Episode 1: Pilot Checklist
1. The jogger is killed near "Talon Creek."
2. The license plate for Aunt Marie's car is for the "treasure state", i.e., Montana.
3. Based on Aunt Marie's comment, "did you see Hulda for what he really is?" it's unclear whether the authors had come up with the distinction between mini-woge and full-woge. The fact Hulda changed back into human form upon dying resembles many of our instances of full-woge. But with Aunt Marie's comment, that woge form was apparently only visible if Nick was a grimm.
4. Am I the only who who thinks the evil blutbad looks like Steve Carell?
5. The black and white opening Grimm promo. I personally think this one is pretty cool.
Yeah, it's funny how different the tone of the show is in the pilot. I also forgot how much Monroe disliked Nick (at first).
(05-31-2013, 09:37 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it's funny how different the tone of the show is in the pilot. I also forgot how much Monroe disliked Nick (at first).

I loved the lighting... sadly they changed it after the pilot
It sure was great to see the first episode again. The Pilot did a great job of introducing the main characters and the Grimm mythos. Here are some of my thoughts about the episode:

- I didn't realize the logo looked so different in the pilot.
- I forgot that Monroe got arrested by the cops because of Nick. Surprised he gave him a beer after that. Also surprised he assaulted an officer when he jumped Nick. Good thing Nick didn't go for his gun, lol.
- When Nick's father died, I wonder who in his lineage became a Grimm?
- Monroe's as hilarious as always, "Did you not just hear about my Regimen?" lol
- I liked the imagery used throughout the episode, with deep red and green was great. Really liked the scene with the Beetle running through the Forest.
- I forgot that Monroe has super scent because he never uses it on the show.
- Why couldn't Monroe get close to the cabin? Why was he turning Blutbad?
- Great to see Adalind with her Hexenbiest powers.
- I really liked how they started the show with the original version of Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics, then ended it with Marilyn Manson's cover. I'll never forget that ending scene with Aunt Marie opening up her eyes. It's been stuck in my head since I first ever saw the episode lol... A memorable ending I think, which is great for a pilot.
- The first episode reminded me of Fringe. Not so much with the second episode and moving forward, but the cinematography and sounds of the Pilot reminded me of Fringe events.
sweet episode and i can quote monroe in this episode
undefined
I was trying to remember what I thought of it the first time I watched it almost two years ago. And I really can’t remember, but I must have liked it cause I kept on watching it. Watching this as part of the Grimm Re-Watch, I paid more attention to it than I had the first time and watched it with a bit more of a critical eye, plus I was paying attention for clues to some of the ongoing mysteries of the show. Overall, I really liked this episode.

I went and got the DVDs out of the library, and this is my first time watching the DVDs. One of the first things I noticed is the audio. I don’t think I ever noticed this before; it may have been because the audio quality is much better on the DVD than on broadcast TV, or it might just be that I was paying more attention. But the audio is really great. The sound effect guys really pulled out all the stops. There is always something going on in the audio track, it might be the sound of rain falling or a creek babbling or crickets chirping, or a dog barking or a cat yowling but there is always something going on. And every door creaks. Another thing I noticed for the first time is that the background music is pretty good; you could probably even call it a score. It’s never intrusive but its always there helping to set the mood. The composer must have majored in creepy.

On the DVD there is a deleted scene. Strangely enough, Juliette works (maybe owns) a bakery. So her being a vet wasn’t part of the original idea.

The pilot episode is full of fairy tale references. I really liked the fairy tale references and I’m sorry it’s something that the writers eventually moved away from. I’m sure everyone noticed all the red hoodies. I got a kick out of the little girl’s backpack had her initials “RH” for Robin Howe, which gets us a little closer to Riding Hood. Oh, and the bit that she disappeared on her way to her Grandfather’s house.

I also really liked the mailman’s house. I want to live there.

The other thing worth noting about the Pilot is that the writers didn’t quite have Monroe figured out. He said he couldn’t be around other Weson – but we know he can. And some of his other statements and mannerisms don’t quite match the Monroe of later episodes.

I thought I would keep track of some things. It turns out I’m not that good at it. I keep forgetting I’m supposed to be keeping track. You can think of these as minimum numbers. I’m looking for how many woges are on each episode, the head count, and how many times I can spot an Apple product.
Apple Count 3
Head Count 3
Woges 5
(05-31-2013, 10:02 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: [ -> ]- When Nick's father died, I wonder who in his lineage became a Grimm?

Nick's father was not a grimm.... I posted one source for this in the spoilers section but I know there are others.
Monroe uses it occasionally. One example is episode 4 'lonelyhearts' when he went to investigate the Ziegevolk in that bar on nicks behalf
(05-31-2013, 10:53 PM)grimmfreak Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-31-2013, 10:02 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: [ -> ]- When Nick's father died, I wonder who in his lineage became a Grimm?

Nick's father was not a grimm.... I posted one source for this in the spoilers section but I know there are others.
Monroe uses it occasionally. One example is episode 4 'lonelyhearts' when he went to investigate the Ziegevolk in that bar on nicks behalf

Ahh... I forgot that Nick's dad wasn't a Grimm.

Spoiler :
I do remember now Kelly telling him that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5