Grimm Forum

Full Version: Issue 1 of the Grimm comic book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
for anyone wondering if nick's father was a grimm. On page 9 Kelly's lowen contact says "the Burkhardt fella certainly married into the wrong family didn't he. Had no idea the trouble he was getting himself into."
(05-27-2013, 10:38 PM)grimmfreak Wrote: [ -> ]for anyone wondering if nick's father was a grimm. On page 9 Kelly's lowen contact says "the Burkhardt fella certainly married into the wrong family didn't he. Had no idea the trouble he was getting himself into."
I just want to reiterate that companion comics, NBC's website, and anything not directly stated in the show is not canon.

In the case of Nick's father, comments by Nick's mother support the fact that he wasn't a grimm. Those comments are canon, though.
(05-28-2013, 09:48 AM)HellJacket Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2013, 10:38 PM)grimmfreak Wrote: [ -> ]for anyone wondering if nick's father was a grimm. On page 9 Kelly's lowen contact says "the Burkhardt fella certainly married into the wrong family didn't he. Had no idea the trouble he was getting himself into."
I just want to reiterate that companion comics, NBC's website, and anything not directly stated in the show is not canon.

In the case of Nick's father, comments by Nick's mother support the fact that he wasn't a grimm. Those comments are canon, though.

so you say... I say otherwise. I think a comic written by the same people that write the show (which it was) is cannon, so what's cannon to one is not always cannon to another... in the case where a comic disagrees with the show, I'll side with the show. Until you can provide a conflicting statement, I'll take the comic as part of Grimm lore and everyone else should be free to make their own decisions.
(05-28-2013, 11:06 AM)grimmfreak Wrote: [ -> ]so you say... I say otherwise. I think a comic written by the same people that write the show (which it was) is cannon, so what's cannon to one is not always cannon to another...
Do you have a link showing that the authorship of the comic includes any members of Grimm's writing staff? I did not see one posted in the links in your other thread.

Having the executive producers approve the license IS NOT THE SAME as actually writing the comic.
(05-28-2013, 11:49 AM)HellJacket Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a link showing that the authorship of the comic includes any members of Grimm's writing staff? I did not see one posted in the links in your other thread.

Having the executive producers approve the license IS NOT THE SAME as actually writing the comic.

here is the link again
https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewP...0463900111
notice in the credits
Story: David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf
Writers: Marc Gaffen and Kyle McVey

The story is by the producers and the writers have worked on numerous episodes... here is a link to the IMDB bios for the writers...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1549205/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3870957/

this is obviously a bit more involvement than simply signing off on the license
(05-28-2013, 01:54 PM)grimmfreak Wrote: [ -> ]here is the link again
https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewP...0463900111
notice in the credits
Story: David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf
Writers: Marc Gaffen and Kyle McVey

The story is by the producers and the writers have worked on numerous episodes... here is a link to the IMDB bios for the writers...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1549205/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3870957/

From Grimm's IMDB page,
Kyle McVey .... production assistant / assistant to executive producers
Marc Gaffen .... script coordinator (9 episodes, 2012)

(05-28-2013, 01:54 PM)grimmfreak Wrote: [ -> ]this is obviously a bit more involvement than simply signing off on the license
It's the equivalent of the executive producers handing off work to interns to do something for the publicity department, i.e. NOT CANON.

The story credit though for the executive producers is ambiguous. It could be the executive producers looked at the comic and said "that's fine." It could simply be a credit that they created the show. It could also be that they played a major role in determining the story arc for the comic.

In any case, the official "writers" are not "writers" on Grimm, but merely working in non-writing production aspects of the show. It gets the non-canon stamp from me (for whatever that's worth).
I figured you'd say that, which is fine with me. As far as I'm concerned just having the producers look at the comic is enough for me... At least that means they had at least an opportunity to say "hey this isn't right"... so, for me it's cannon, for you it can be whatever you want it to be. Me, I think it's silly to pose cannon arguments when nothing conflicts... I recommend reading the comic before judging it... it only takes 20 minutes to read for the slowest of readers... and if the $4 price tag is too high, i've heard you can read it free on the net... I'll send a link later... even though I deplore the idea of pirating comic books. I just want you to read it.
(05-28-2013, 02:15 PM)grimmfreak Wrote: [ -> ]I figured you'd say that, which is fine with me. As far as I'm concerned just having the producers look at the comic is enough for me...
That's fine. And really, the definition of "canon" is a semantic one. However, it's a useful classification in shrugging aside arguments. If I point to the television show and someone points to the comic to contradict me, I can say "Not Canon" and move on. Though, I can do that for anything argument anyways, since I'm not required to respond to any poster.

Hell, lots of things in the canon (i.e., the actual television show) contradict one another.
(05-28-2013, 02:45 PM)HellJacket Wrote: [ -> ]That's fine. And really, the definition of "canon" is a semantic one. However, it's a useful classification in shrugging aside arguments. If I point to the television show and someone points to the comic to contradict me, I can say "Not Canon" and move on. Though, I can do that for anything argument anyways, since I'm not required to respond to any poster.

Hell, lots of things in the canon (i.e., the actual television show) contradict one another.

Yeah and like I said, if there are conflicts, which there will undoubtedly be, as there are already conflicts within the show itself, I am more than willing to differ to the show.