Grimm Forum

Full Version: Forum Background Color
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The dark gray is a tad bit of a strain on the eyes. Why not just use a white background?
You're here one day, and you're already complaining.

That reminds me of a joke.

A man wanted to become a monk so he went to the monastery and talked to the head monk.
The head monk said, "You must take a vow of silence and can only say two words every three years."
The man agreed and after the first 3 years, the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"
"Food cold!" the man replied.
Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said "What are your two words?"
"Robe dirty!" the man exclaimed.
Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"
"I quit!" said the man.
"Well," the head monk replied, "I am not surprised. You have done nothing but complain ever since you got here!"
Hi Charles, welcome to Grimm Forum and thanks for your feedback! If others here would like a white background, please let me know at this thread and I will create an alternative theme you can set through your User Control Panel. Restyling the theme will take some time though, so I'd like to see how many users are interested in this first.
(05-23-2013, 07:04 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]You're here one day, and you're already complaining.

The feedback forum preexisted my arrival here. The purpose of its existence is to obtain feedback, and ideas on how to improve things here for the betterment of the community, as I understand it.

The default white text on gray background provides less visual contrast, compared to black text on white background. That's why it is a strain on my eyes.

I could have waited more than one day, before posting, whether on this topic or some other topic. I opted to go ahead and post. To me, anyway, it didn't take more than a single day to notice the strain on my eyes.
Charles,

I've made it possible for you to change the theme of this forum to the original theme, which has black text on white / light gray.

To change the theme:

1) Click User CP located at the top right
2) Click Edit Options on the left menu
3) Under Other Options, you'll find a drop down menu for Board Style. Click that, and select Original Theme
4) Click Update Options

In the mean time, I hope this works out better for you, and thanks again for joining our forum!
(05-23-2013, 08:25 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: [ -> ]Charles,

I've made it possible for you to change the theme of this forum to the original theme, which has black text on white / light gray.

To change the theme:

1) Click User CP located at the top right
2) Click Edit Options on the left menu
3) Under Other Options, you'll find a drop down menu for Board Style. Click that, and select Original Theme
4) Click Update Options

In the mean time, I hope this works out better for you, and thanks again for joining our forum!

I just tried this and I'm still seeing the same theme.

The colors don't bother me too much though, unless I'm hanging out here for awhile.
Like Courtney, I'm not seeing the background change either. No option for it.

(I actually like the white writing on black -- well, typically green in my case -- but I just wanted to see what it looked like reversed, lol.)
I changed to the default theme. I just now noticed that you are using MyBB forum software, which I like a lot.

The default theme just doesn't include the tree background image.

Press CTRL+F5 to refresh the screen, after you save your change to the new theme, in order to see it, if you're not seeing it, otherwise.

The default forum uses a very light gray for the background where the body of the text goes, so while it's not white, it is a big plus for me. It's just far easier on my eyes, rather than straining at all of that gray.
Courtney and Pale Boy, the reason those steps didn't work is because I only set it so that it works for Charles. So i'll also activate those features for you both too. And if anyone else wants the default theme, please let me know here. The reason I'm doing this on a per-member basis is because the default theme doesn't have some of the features and changes I've implemented on the main one.

Would increasing the contrast between the text and background help on the main theme? I can make the text more white.
(05-24-2013, 03:09 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: [ -> ]Would increasing the contrast between the text and background help on the main theme? I can make the text more white.

One option that you have is to make a copy of the Grimm forum, export it and rename it, and then re-import it. Then, just make a couple of changes to the theme settings in the admin control panel. You can then make either theme optional for anyone, and we can each have our cake and eat it, too.

It's not hard to do, although if you haven't much experience with MyBB themes, then it might seem a tad more complicated than it really is.
Pages: 1 2