Grimm Forum

Full Version: Magic Spells and Potions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
(08-20-2015, 10:46 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Good point, one that makes sense to me. A hexenbiest could rob their Grimm victim of strength and agility by sleeping with them.

If the Grimm in question were female, or gay, could a Zauberbiest do the same thing? (I ask because it is canon that there are some things that Hexenbiesten can do that Zauberbiesten cannot [and, I presume, vice versa.])
(08-21-2015, 10:16 AM)Elkhound Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2015, 10:46 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Good point, one that makes sense to me. A hexenbiest could rob their Grimm victim of strength and agility by sleeping with them.

If the Grimm in question were female, or gay, could a Zauberbiest do the same thing? (I ask because it is canon that there are some things that Hexenbiesten can do that Zauberbiesten cannot [and, I presume, vice versa.])
I had wondered that also I would add this looks like and I could be wrong a zauberbiest has strength but no abilities to make potions as most of the potions require blood maybe only female blood has potion powers. I add this because Sean the only one we know and his mother is a hexen so I've been thinking (no jokes) she would have taught him potions if he could make them. Rosalee implied the they lack some of the powers of a hexen.
(08-21-2015, 12:26 PM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: [ -> ]

I had wondered that also I would add this looks like and I could be wrong a zauberbiest has strength but no abilities to make potions as most of the potions require blood maybe only female blood has potion powers. I add this because Sean the only one we know and his mother is a hexen so I've been thinking (no jokes) she would have taught him potions if he could make them. Rosalee implied the they lack some of the powers of a hexen.

The question on my mind was a little different. If the Grimm was female and the hexenbiest was also female, could the hexenbiest even turn herself into a man? Would an entirely different spell be needed because the Grimm was a woman rather than a man?
(08-21-2015, 04:38 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]

The question on my mind was a little different. If the Grimm was female and the hexenbiest was also female, could the hexenbiest even turn herself into a man? Would an entirely different spell be needed because the Grimm was a woman rather than a man?
I think you hit on the point it would have to be different for women and men. Just because Adalind used sex may not be the only way there could be more that one. Adalind choose sex as to get at Nick using Juliette as a double hit my opinion.
(08-21-2015, 10:16 AM)Elkhound Wrote: [ -> ][quote='irukandji' pid='16232' dateline='1440092760']
Good point, one that makes sense to me. A hexenbiest could rob their Grimm victim of strength and agility by sleeping with them.

Sean was able to brew up the antidote when he realized what Adalinde had done. We don't know if it would have worked because Trubel wasn't able to get it to Nick.

But, yes--some of what Hexenbiest do seems to be learned and some innate, and we don't know how much of what Zauberbiests can't do is because the actually can't and how much is a matter of it being against their cultural taboos to teach boys these things. (There are SOME things that are clearly beyong Zauberbiests' abilities, but there is a grey area.) Some of the potions Adalinde was able to brew up even after she was de-powered, so in some cases it may just be a matter of knowledge and access to the ingredients. There is probably a bit of overlap--some thinks that a Zauberbiest could do, but because of cultural conditioning he would believe himself unable to do, so wouldn't try. (Just as until relatively recently human women/girls thought they couldn't do, that they were 'boy's/men's things' simply because they were brought up to think that way.)
I always have a doubt about zaberbiest and hexanbiest. Apparently hexanbiest are more powerful in dealing with potions and things like that if we compare with zaberbiest.

But the only zaberbiest we know is Sean, a half zauberbiest half royal. I always have the impression Sean gives more importance to the royal half then to the zauberbiest half.

So the question is: Sean doesn't know much about potion because zauberbiest don't know in general or because Sean choose to develop his royal nature.

I mean: maybe there is no difference between zauberbiest and hexanbiest. Maybe Sean choose to not develop his zauberbiest knowledge.

What do you think?
(08-20-2015, 10:29 AM)Elkhound Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2015, 06:39 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:There's no reason to know that the old hexenbiesten knew about the extra rods--just that doing thus-and-so would neutralize a Grimm's power.

It's not hard to determine where a Grimm's power comes from. He sees what others cannot. There's no need for a hexenbiest to come up with this special spell to disable a few extra cones and leave the rest untouched. All Adelind had to do was blind him.

I'm guessing that there was an earlier version of the spell that did blind the victim. I speculate that some hexenbiesten who weren't quite that evil thought that this was going too far and worked to modify it so that it would only affect the victim's ability to see first-level volge.

But there are other things to being a Grimm besides the sight. Grimms seem to be stronger and quicker than normal humans, react to certain drugs and chemicals differently, and recover from injuries and attacks more quickly.

I remember another possibility. I remember an episode where Nick was blinded by a wesen and he got super hearing. Maybe this happened with the first version of the spell. The hexanbiest blinded the grimm and grimm was stronger in other abilities. This way the hexanbiest changed the spell to act only in the right cones of the eyes avoiding turning the grimm stronger or something like that.
(08-21-2015, 06:27 PM)Elkhound Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-21-2015, 10:16 AM)Elkhound Wrote: [ -> ][quote='irukandji' pid='16232' dateline='1440092760']
Good point, one that makes sense to me. A hexenbiest could rob their Grimm victim of strength and agility by sleeping with them.

Sean was able to brew up the antidote when he realized what Adalinde had done. We don't know if it would have worked because Trubel wasn't able to get it to Nick.

But, yes--some of what Hexenbiest do seems to be learned and some innate, and we don't know how much of what Zauberbiests can't do is because the actually can't and how much is a matter of it being against their cultural taboos to teach boys these things. (There are SOME things that are clearly beyong Zauberbiests' abilities, but there is a grey area.) Some of the potions Adalinde was able to brew up even after she was de-powered, so in some cases it may just be a matter of knowledge and access to the ingredients. There is probably a bit of overlap--some thinks that a Zauberbiest could do, but because of cultural conditioning he would believe himself unable to do, so wouldn't try. (Just as until relatively recently human women/girls thought they couldn't do, that they were 'boy's/men's things' simply because they were brought up to think that way.)
I think that Sean just took part of the potion out of the pot Adalind made he didn't mix anything. He must have know something like the hair of the dog story. He knew that drinking to potion would stop the reaction. Just a guess.
In another thread @karai9 brought the hat used for the spell/potion to change Juliette to Adalind and the reason why Juliette became a hexen into play. As with Renard if when they shot him with rubber bullets Jack thought he was dying and left Renard if the hexen spirit from the hat thought Juliette was dead it might leave also returning Juliette to Juliette.

This would give the writers a way that we could believe because they used it for Renard so as @Lou says we can believe the reason.
(08-21-2015, 08:54 PM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: [ -> ]I always have a doubt about zaberbiest and hexanbiest. Apparently hexanbiest are more powerful in dealing with potions and things like that if we compare with zaberbiest.

But the only zaberbiest we know is Sean, a half zauberbiest half royal. I always have the impression Sean gives more importance to the royal half then to the zauberbiest half.

So the question is: Sean doesn't know much about potion because zauberbiest don't know in general or because Sean choose to develop his royal nature.

I mean: maybe there is no difference between zauberbiest and hexanbiest. Maybe Sean choose to not develop his zauberbiest knowledge.

What do you think?

I think that hexenbiest and zauberbiest are very different. I think that zauberbiest are definitely weaker than hexenbiest. I'm sure Renard knows about his capabilities as a Zauberbiest being well educated by his hexenbiest mother no less and he has contacts in the hexenbiest world such a Henrietta. We saw him use some interrogating techniques on Weston Stewart when he, Kelly and Nick were formulating the rescue Diana plan. I think he compelled him to say what he wanted from him.

I think Zauberbiest are more an altered human than a person with a biest.

Let me explain: in some sources, witches were classified by their power source such as Nature witches, Elementals and blood witches. Hexenbiest appear to be blood witches because blood features very prominently in a lot of their spells. Like the zaubertrank used on Hank in season 1. Adalind put her and Hank's blood in the cookies. Hexenbiest blood also can open special books that have been locked in such a way. Renard emphasized that hexenbiest blood, not his, would open it and that there is a difference. I've never seen him mix a potion either, only collecting the remnant of the one Adalind mixed for Nick to have him drink it and neutralize it. We mainly see him use it a physical sense. Extra strength in fights (the Kenneth fight, and zombie Nick fight) .

I also believe zauberbiest are extremely rare. For whatever reason there are next to none.

I think zauberbiest are quite inferior to hexenbiest except perhaps in physical strength.
Your thoughts?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33