Grimm Forum

Full Version: Advices guys ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody ! Smile
I'm writing this to get some advices : all the TV Shows I'm watching are over (end of season) and I don't know what to watch.
For you to know my taste i'll tell you what I'm watching :
- Scandal
- Awkward
- Person of Interest
- Pretty Little Liars
- Downton Abbey
- American Horror Story
- The Walking Dead
- Arrow
- 2 Broke Girls
- The Following
Would you have some advices ?
Sorry if i bother you >.<
You have pretty eclectic tastes. I feel I can recommend anything. I haven't seen most of the stuff on your list. I'm adding your list to my To Do list. But I lost interest in "Person of Interest" in just a couple of episodes. I stopped watching The Walking Dead during the second season because i thought it was going to slowly. I only watched one episode of the Following, it was too gruesome. I really like Arrow.

I fell in love with The Good Wife this year and went and watched all 4 seasons. Give it a shot. I didn't think I'd like it either but it has great characters- both heroes and villains. Rich stories and back stories and handsome and beautiful actors and actresses. Drama, comedy, suspense, mystery, romance.... I really can't recommend it highly enough.

If you liked Downton Abbey you gotta check out "Call the Midwife". I like it a little better because it has no villains, life itself provides all the adversity necessary. There is also a new Masterpiece Theatre called "Bletchly Circle" which is great, too. (these are British but post WWII)

If you have read Ken Follett, two of his books were made into mini series. World Without End and Pillars of the Earth. I think they can only be recommended if you loved the books because all by themselves I don't think they are that great. End of the dark ages in England.

I'm almost through the first season of Californication and the second season of House of lies. Both of those are short, 30 minute, sexy little serialized dramas. I've watched a few seasons of Dexter but I'm taking a break. I've watched one season of the Wire, and one season of Modern Family - I plan on getting back to them. Then i want to start Boardwalk Empire.

Some of these are available online at CouchTuner.
Since you like Scandal, Amandine, I'd recommend checking out the ABC show called "Revenge". It's a modern twist on the Count of Monte Cristo staring a young woman who is going to bring her father's enemies to justice. There is a lot of intricate planning in the show and plenty of drama. It is basically a revenge drama crossed with a soap opera and I enjoy the heck out of it.

With American Horror Story and The Following also on your watch list, I will also say that "Hannibal" could be a good fit. The show is fantastic. It has its gory and squeamish parts (for network TV, that is), but it also has great cinematography, chilling imagery and subject matter, wonderful interplay between the characters, and great casting. If you're familiar with the source material, ("Red Dragon", "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal") then you should definitely try it. It's a superb psychological thriller.

@Lou -- the first season of Person of Interest starts out as generic, I admit, but boy howdy does it pic up around 8-13 in Season 1. The second season has been the best television I've watched in years. (Still has the occasional clunker, but it happens to the best shows.) This thing rivals Lost in terms of influencing the next generation of shows, I swear. The S2 finale was just ... wow.
@ pale boy. one of my friends has been raving about Person of Interest. so I watched the first episode and wasn't wowed.But with your recommendation, i'm going to try it again. My friend hadn't been wrong before.
(05-17-2013, 07:56 AM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]@ pale boy. one of my friends has been raving about Person of Interest. so I watched the first episode and wasn't wowed.But with your recommendation, i'm going to try it again. My friend hadn't been wrong before.

It has a slow start, but it gets better. A lot better. Especially when I realized that this show was by Christopher Nolan's brother -- and it shows.

I like to sum up the watching experience by this equation:

Batman ÷ 2 - the cowl + a gun + a supercomputer = PoI
Hmm. OK, it goes to the top of my list. Thanks.
Possibly is Homeland or The almighty Johnsons something for you.
I'd like to recommend:
Hell on wheels - pure wild west, dirt, smoking guns and a real hot Cullen Bohannon (Anson Mount) as anti-hero
A Game of Thrones - epic fantasy-saga, absolutely addictive, great actors, really breathtaking story, complex characters
(05-21-2013, 11:48 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to recommend:
Hell on wheels - pure wild west, dirt, smoking guns and a real hot Cullen Bohannon (Anson Mount) as anti-hero
A Game of Thrones - epic fantasy-saga, absolutely addictive, great actors, really breathtaking story, complex characters

I feel bad for forgetting about Hell on Wheels. That one is a good Western show -- not at all sugar and light like Westerns from the '50s!

Haven't watched much of Game of Thrones, but the books are great, albeit dark, fantasy. Low on the magic.