Grimm Forum

Full Version: What's with all the pessimism surrounding Season 4?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Being the big Grimm fan that I am, I like to go to episode reviews on the internet and read some of the user comments about people's opinions.

I did this for last night's premiere on TVLine, and I noticed that a lot of the comments were incredibly pessimistic. I apologize if this comes across as a rant but this is a topic that I would like to discuss.

Most of the comment are either one of two things:

1. "I'm so sick of Trubel, Nick better get his Grimm powers back soon or I think I'm going to have to stop watching this show"

or

2. "If the Captain is dead then I am so done with this show"

First of all the Captain is not going to die, I mean let's be realistic here. Second, if he were to actually die, Why would you stop watching the show? I mean he really isn't that big of a character so I don't understand why people would abandon a show that they've watched for three seasons because of one thing happening.

As for the Trubel comments, just give her a chance. I like her a lot so I may be biased in that regard but I felt like as soon as it was announced that she was cast, people were already saying that she would ruin the show even before her first episode aired.

Lastly, I understand that people want Nick to get his Grimm powers back and I do too but I also think it will be interesting to see him have to enforce the law without them. Obviously the writers know what they're doing because the show is in it's fourth season. As fans let's but some faith in our writers, after all they've created an enjoyable show for three years.

Maybe it's just me but I can't possible fathom not watching one of my favorite shows just because they decided to try something new for a little while.
I understand what you mean. I especially don't get the negativity about Truble. I like the character but know some fans don't. OK by me, different strokes and all that.

But this almost abusive railing about her is more than a little weird.

She's going to destroy the show!! Huh?! What?! How does that work? It's just a TV show. Sit back and enjoy it or change the channel. No big deal.
I happened to read those comments on TVLine too and noticed the same thing.

Personally I like Trubel but I'm not surprised by the negativity around her. I've seen this happen with many shows, when new characters are brought in a lot of people seem to perceive them as a threat and hate them even before they appear. This is usually worse if said new character is female. I don't get it, but I've seen it happen countless times.

I could understand not liking a character after they've been introduced, but not even giving them a chance feels like immature behavior to me.

The funny thing is, many shows are criticized for getting stale and repeating the same patterns over and over again. But when a show changes constantly, by introducing new characters and finding different approaches to recurring themes (for example, the different story arcs of Hank/Juliette/Wu in finding out about Nick) and therefore tries very hard to not be stale it's criticized anyway because people miss "the good old times". But I guess you can never make everybody happy, right?

As for Renard, I really don't think he's going to die either. But I understand the uproar a little more. Lots of people love him and I don't blame them. I think he's a great character and it would be a loss for the show. Lots of shows have killed off great beloved characters in the past and people get upset, it's natural. The emotional uproar is what the Grimm writers were shooting for. They always try to keep us on our toes.

I wouldn't blame people if they quit the show if Renard died, because sometimes you just don't like where the story is going and need to drop it, no matter how much you loved it in the beginning. I just don't believe they need to worry. Wink

Last but not least, I want Nick to regain his powers too, but not before we've explored all the potential of this twist. It could be a great emotional arc for his character.
Obviously those guys at TV Line are not really good Grimm fans.
Lou,
My point exactly, as a true fan you stick to your show through thick and thin and you trust your writers.
I noticed the negativity as well. Now I will admit that I don't want the Nick Grimmless story to last too long, but it has nothing to do with Trubel. But I'm not going to stop watching because of it. Trubel isn't a favorite of mine, but I don't hate her either. Now the Renard stuff I can understand. Renard is a popular character and happens to be one of my favorites so I can understand why people are so upset. I think there will be a twist though. I can't imagine not tuning in for my favorite show though. Maybe this is just a rough season. I have gone through that with other shows that I have had seasons that weren't my favorite and then they turned around again.
As more people watch the show Sable, I find people (like myself) really get involved in the series, and the beauty of the producers intentionally throwing themselves into corners, it becomes unpredictable and some people may find that a bit annoying. I myself find that I like that spontaneity as it throws huge curveballs and I like a challenge figuring out on how they are going to dig themselves out of each situation (as do other Grimmsters I'll bet) Smile
But as new personalities come in, I think it boils down to the scenes they have and whether or not, they hit the mark with the viewers.
Truth be told, I do have a fondness for Trubel, I like brunettes Smile
Everybody is bringing up some good points. Regarding Captain Renard, I get it, there are some characters that I would hate to see die too. I've absolutely loved Monroe since Day 1 and if the show were to kill him off I would be absolutely heartbroken. That being said I wouldn't stop watching the show. Obviously if the writers feel the need to kill a popular character off they have a pretty good reason for doing so they aren't just going to kill one off to get a rise out of the audience. Also if they were to kill someone off they would have them die valiantly like trying to protect Nick not by getting shot three times in the chest when they leave someone's house.
When I've quit watching shows before, it was either because I never got invested in the first place or because at the end of a break, I found I just didn't care enough to tune in again. I wouldn't just stop watching because I don't like something that happens; good storytelling often requires it. You have to at least go to the end of the story arc to decide if it was worth it.
People are insane who think Renard is actually about to leave Grimm. Somehow someway he'll be alive. This is based on Grimm fairy tales after all.I really like Truble. She was a great fit into show and her character adds a new dimineson to the series.

I always laugh at people who get upset over a show, yet keep watching it. Don't like it, turn it off. No one gets their feelings hurt.
Pages: 1 2 3