Grimm Forum

Full Version: Gotham General Discussion thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking forward to this one. This'll be the general discussion thread for Gotham.
Young Jim Gordon? Awesome. Kid Bruce Wayne and mini-me versions of everyone else ... eh. I'm a little skeptical about how this concept will work in the long-term, but I'll definitely check it out and I really hope that it's going to throw me and my expectations for a loop.
(07-29-2014, 11:06 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]Young Jim Gordon? Awesome. Kid Bruce Wayne and mini-me versions of everyone else ... eh. I'm a little skeptical about how this concept will work in the long-term, but I'll definitely check it out and I really hope that it's going to throw me and my expectations for a loop.

Agreed on how they get some longevity on the show without eventually addressing the Batman issue that hangs over the entire mythos. Batman is my favourite Hero in the DC universe, and the locale of Gotham is such a wonderful character all by itself, populated with such weird and wonderful people. I have high expectations but am fearful they will proverbially screw the pooch on this one which will make me very, very sad Sad BUt we live in hope it could be another Arrow and do something unexpected and refreshing with a well know character.
I was a pretty big fan of Batman when I was a little kid, so I'm looking forward to seeing a tv show based in the same universe. Does anyone remember Birds of Prey on The WB back in the day? lol I was curious to see if there were any other live-action Batman spinoffs on TV, and it turns out that was the only one.

I wonder if they'll do any crossovers with the movies from DC Comies, sort of like what they did with Agents of SHIELD and Winter Soldier.
(07-30-2014, 07:08 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: [ -> ]I was a pretty big fan of Batman when I was a little kid, so I'm looking forward to seeing a tv show based in the same universe. Does anyone remember Birds of Prey on The WB back in the day? lol I was curious to see if there were any other live-action Batman spinoffs on TV, and it turns out that was the only one.

I wonder if they'll do any crossovers with the movies from DC Comies, sort of like what they did with Agents of SHIELD and Winter Soldier.

Loved Birds of Prey, another of a long line of genre shows that got royally Tongue screwed over and ended way before their time.

If DC were intelligent they would use cross media deployments to strengthen and enrich their franchises, unfortunately like most large unwieldy organizations there is very little real communication and to suggest cooperation between said departments would be heresy. DC is getting its arse handed to it by Marvel, because at least their they have a vision and are willing to use cross platform promotion to enhance their product and bring the new and the staunch fan along for the ride.

With the upcoming Superman, Batman crossover movie along with a plethora of other DC characters purported to be showing up, wouldn't it be intelligent to sprinkle titbits and outright crossover material in all the franchise offering you have out at the moment. But why do something intelligent that might build buzz that would be silly Undecided
@GrimmForum -- I didn't really catch Birds of Prey when it was airing, but I was a Batman: The Animated Series fan, aka the series that introduced Harley Quinn.

I think it would be cool if they placed this in an 'alternate universe' but I think there is a higher probability of crossovers with the films. Mainstream US might not be ready for the concept of AUs. Tongue

Also, is anyone else hoping that mini-Bats might solve equally mini-crimes on this show?
(07-31-2014, 10:41 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]@GrimmForum -- I didn't really catch Birds of Prey when it was airing, but I was a Batman: The Animated Series fan, aka the series that introduced Harley Quinn.

I think it would be cool if they placed this in an 'alternate universe' but I think there is a higher probability of crossovers with the films. Mainstream US might not be ready for the concept of AUs. Tongue

Also, is anyone else hoping that mini-Bats might solve equally mini-crimes on this show?

The animated series was awesome Big Grin, like the idea of 'mini Bats' cutting his crime fighting teeth in the show, how about him becoming Gordon's protégé, it would explain where Bats ultimately developed his skill to solve crime?
(07-31-2014, 11:31 PM)Starfury Wrote: [ -> ]The animated series was awesome Big Grin, like the idea of 'mini Bats' cutting his crime fighting teeth in the show, how about him becoming Gordon's protégé, it would explain where Bats ultimately developed his skill to solve crime?

Oh, that would be awesome. If wee Bruce learned about detective work from Gordon -- who maybe ends up as some sort of mentor figure to the orphan -- then his skills in that department would make so much since. Good thinking. That's a great idea. Smile
(08-02-2014, 09:10 PM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2014, 11:31 PM)Starfury Wrote: [ -> ]The animated series was awesome Big Grin, like the idea of 'mini Bats' cutting his crime fighting teeth in the show, how about him becoming Gordon's protégé, it would explain where Bats ultimately developed his skill to solve crime?

Oh, that would be awesome. If wee Bruce learned about detective work from Gordon -- who maybe ends up as some sort of mentor figure to the orphan -- then his skills in that department would make so much since. Good thinking. That's a great idea. Smile

Not only that it explains why Gordon allowed a vigilante to run around in his city. Gordon strikes me as a great many things but a person who doesn't follow the letter of the law isn't one of them. But a previous relationship with a young Bruce Wayne, mentoring him in the skills to be a great detective now that knowledge of the man ultimately behind the mask would give Gordon enough of a pause to let Batman continue to exist, especially in the face of the lunatics that happen to stalk the streets of Gotham. Having said that Batmans psychology isn't exactly stable either, but if Gordon at least had an up close and personal look at wee Bats as he was transforming himself into future alter ego at least would understand the man behind the mask and know how much he can trust the mans' motives and agenda.

Damn I just spotted it's a Fox offering, (shame on me for missing that) what's the betting it lasts a full season Sad
(08-03-2014, 03:27 AM)Starfury Wrote: [ -> ]Not only that it explains why Gordon allowed a vigilante to run around in his city. Gordon strikes me as a great many things but a person who doesn't follow the letter of the law isn't one of them. But a previous relationship with a young Bruce Wayne, mentoring him in the skills to be a great detective now that knowledge of the man ultimately behind the mask would give Gordon enough of a pause to let Batman continue to exist, especially in the face of the lunatics that happen to stalk the streets of Gotham. Having said that Batmans psychology isn't exactly stable either, but if Gordon at least had an up close and personal look at wee Bats as he was transforming himself into future alter ego at least would understand the man behind the mask and know how much he can trust the mans' motives and agenda.

Gordon does have to play Mr. Straight and Narrow in comparison to Bats, but yeah, I can see him playing into a "for the greater good" scheme if he actually knows (and therefore trusts) this dark knight roaming the streets in later canon. Unfortunately, it seems that an actual Batman-oriented show isn't what we're getting, so I'll just have to hold off on my ardent hopes for a Lost style flashback mess of intricacy between the pasts and presents of characters here, ha ha. Hrm, well, at the very least, I hope we do get some mini-Batman crime fighting.

(08-03-2014, 03:27 AM)Starfury Wrote: [ -> ]Damn I just spotted it's a Fox offering, (shame on me for missing that) what's the betting it lasts a full season Sad

Fortunately, Fox has actually been doing a bit better with handling sci-fi and fantasy stuff lately. Not only did they let Fringe come to its conclusion a couple years back, they also allowed Dollhouse to get to a second season despite (and I say this as a Whedon fan) lackluster ratings and a generally unlikeable first season. I believe Fox is also showing Sleepy Hollow which turned out to be really fun, imo, and a bonafide ratings winner for the network.
Pages: 1 2