Grimm Forum
Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? (/Thread-Are-female-Grimm-s-more-agressive-than-their-male-counterparts)

Pages: 1 2 3

Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - Starfury - 06-20-2014

I know we really don't have a large enough sample, but the three female Grimm's we have met all seem to much more aggressive than the two male Grimm's. Granted one of the men didn't want to be a Grimm at all, and Nick may be too early in his Grimming life to be a fair indicator of what he may become in the future.

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - grimmfreak - 06-20-2014

Not sure really. Nick is the only Grimm we've had a chance to observe regularly, Kelly and Trubel are more aggressive but they were much younger when they became Grimm. We know women become Grimm younger than the men so perhaps that makes them more prone to extremes.

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - wfmyers1207 - 06-20-2014

This is an interesting question, but I think an answerable one.

Let's go through the history of the shows universe.
Women TEND to know they're grimms before men, but this is not an absolute.

Kelly and Marie were raised and trained 'old school' by their father.

Truble was 'raised' if you will, half feral and subject to constant threats she didn't understand.

Nick wasn't even told what he was until rather late in life. He didn't even know he was a grimm until long after he was a trained officer of the law. So, he tends to try and deal with wesen issues as a law enforcement matter.

Rolek Porter never wanted to be a grimm, even after he knew what it was, he was a person who would not strike back at anyone who wasn't an immediate threat to him or his family. (He did kill the werat agent that came into their hotel room.) As he told Nick: "I can't do what they did. What you do."

So, it seems to me, it's the background rather than the gender that is important.

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - pale boy - 06-20-2014

Nick has a fairly high body count after three seasons, so I think it's fair to say that aggression comes with the territory, even if its mostly self defense on his part.

Like wfmyers said, I think maybe part of the reason he's not as "violent" though, could be attributed to being raised outside the lifestyle, so to speak. From what I remember, it sounded like Marie and Kelly were taught to have a hardened mentality from a young age. But it does seem that male Grimm are "late bloomers", so that could be part of it too. Nick never had to deal with seeing (what would look like) monsters in his teenage years.

(And after thinking about it, yeah, this all sounds like there is a metaphor regarding the horrors of puberty somewhere in there.)

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - grimmfreak - 06-20-2014

I was trying to convey the idea you guys made clear. Yeah, it seems like female Grimm are faced with things earlier so they are often raised as Grimm or end up somewhat feral if they don't have proper role models. I think from what Kelly and Marie said to Nick they (especially Marie) had hoped Nick would be spared being a Grimm. Thus they probably tried to keep him away from the Grimm life.
I find it very interesting that Marie once had Farley Kolt (at least that's what he told Nick) as a boyfriend (I don't remember if they'd been engaged at any point.) She must have loved him a great deal to burrow past all the years of 'wesen are evil' training she must have had... I mean when Kelly showed up it almost floored her to find out Nick had wesen friends, imagine how she must have reacted when her sister came home with a wesen BF! wow if we ever get a spin off with Kelly and Marie younger, I hope it has Farley Kolt as a character so we can see that scene... Tense.

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - wfmyers1207 - 06-21-2014

(06-20-2014, 09:04 PM)grimmfreak Wrote: I was trying to convey the idea you guys made clear. Yeah, it seems like female Grimm are faced with things earlier so they are often raised as Grimm or end up somewhat feral if they don't have proper role models. I think from what Kelly and Marie said to Nick they (especially Marie) had hoped Nick would be spared being a Grimm. Thus they probably tried to keep him away from the Grimm life.
I find it very interesting that Marie once had Farley Kolt (at least that's what he told Nick) as a boyfriend (I don't remember if they'd been engaged at any point.) She must have loved him a great deal to burrow past all the years of 'wesen are evil' training she must have had... I mean when Kelly showed up it almost floored her to find out Nick had wesen friends, imagine how she must have reacted when her sister came home with a wesen BF! wow if we ever get a spin off with Kelly and Marie younger, I hope it has Farley Kolt as a character so we can see that scene... Tense.

wow, I never even thought of that. I have 3 brothers and a sister so I know siblings can be Brutal when they're hacked off at you! The scene where Marie tells Kelly she has a wesen boyfriend would probably be epic!!Big Grin

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - syscrash - 07-11-2014

(06-20-2014, 05:22 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: This is an interesting question, but I think an answerable one.

Let's go through the history of the shows universe.
Women TEND to know they're grimms before men, but this is not an absolute.

Kelly and Marie were raised and trained 'old school' by their father.

Truble was 'raised' if you will, half feral and subject to constant threats she didn't understand.

Nick wasn't even told what he was until rather late in life. He didn't even know he was a grimm until long after he was a trained officer of the law. So, he tends to try and deal with wesen issues as a law enforcement matter.

Rolek Porter never wanted to be a grimm, even after he knew what it was, he was a person who would not strike back at anyone who wasn't an immediate threat to him or his family. (He did kill the werat agent that came into their hotel room.) As he told Nick: "I can't do what they did. What you do."

So, it seems to me, it's the background rather than the gender that is important.

If you include Nick as a Zombie, I would have to say males win hands down. In the barn he was a beast, unstoppable. If I was Nick when they find a solution to return his Grimm I would ask if they could through in a little Zombie.

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - Elkhound - 07-11-2014

Has nobody here read Kipling? http://www.bartleby.com/364/191.html

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - Starfury - 07-11-2014

Who doesn't love Kipling Smile

I'd say read this : http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/young_british_soldier.html

Final paragraph says it all in my humble opinion Confused, Always found it so poignant, and yet so apt even for today sadly Sad The more things change, the more they stay the same as the saying goes.

RE: Are female Grimm's more agressive than their male counterparts? - wfmyers1207 - 07-12-2014

Always loved Kipling. What has come to amaze me over the years, and speaking as a veteran, is how a man who never wore a uniform seemed to understand the minds and lives of soldiers so well.