Grimm Forum
What I love about Grimm... - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: What I love about Grimm... (/Thread-What-I-love-about-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2

What I love about Grimm... - Zansy - 05-15-2018

So the name should be simple enough, but in case it’s not, this thread is meant to offer everyone an opportunity to share why you enjoy Grimm enough to still discuss the show nowadays. Talk about all the things you like or love about the show. After all, you probably didn’t spend about four days of your life on watching a show that you don’t like, right?

So tell us what you love. Talk about scenes, about episodes, about characters and/or relationships. Just please... talk about good things. You can even talk about characters you dislike if you do talk about what you like about them. There are plenty of threads for everyone to talk about what you dislike or hate. But please leave that outside of this particular thread, okay? Let’s try and have a thread people can safely come to when they’ve had a bad day. So please be as nice as I’m sure every one of you can be. That’s if you want to post here. Otherwise, there are plenty of other threads.

Just a few random topics you could mention: (You’re welcome to add to that list, or simply post about an entirely different -positive- topic. And there’s absolutely no need to cover all of these in the same post. You can come back later and talk about a different topic. Just keep it happy and pleasant.)

Who is your favorite character?
Which episode(s) must be part of any rewatch you do?
What scenes do you find particularly well written?
Which type of Wesen is your favorite?
Do you have a favorite arc?
What’s your favorite fairy tale retelling?
Who among the recurring characters intrigues you?
If a friend asked you about Grimm, which episode would you recommend to them?
Which relationships are you particularly fond of? (Both ships and friendships count)
Which seasons worked best for you?
Is there a quote that made you laugh or smile? Any favorites you’d like to share?
Of the various memorable guest characters. who did you like the most?

RE: What I love about Grimm... - Henry of green - 05-15-2018

I love the series it will defineitley go down as one of my all time personal favorites, my favorite two characters on the show are Adalind and Nick with Monroe being a clsoe 3rd place for me.

The thing that actully got me into grimm orignally was the Nick and Monroe friendship which I really enjoyed. I really ejoyed Monroe and the German mythology and folklore, also Silas Weir Mitchell is easily the best actor on the show along Clarie coffee in my opinion .

I liked Nick right from the start because he was a relatable guy just trying to deal with this crazy situation his bloodline had got him into. I liked how he was different than his ancestors,he wasn’t just a mindless Wesen killer like the grimms of old, Nick befriended Wesen and usually only killed in self defense or to protect innocents from evil wesen. I also found his backstory compelling, supposedly losing his mom and Dad in a crash and being raised by his strange aunt Marie. I also really enjoyed his partnership with Hank as you could tell they really had each others backs. I also liked how Nick became more and more Grimm like as the seasons rolled on as it added more layers to his character and made him more complex than he’d originally been as a fresh faced Grimm in season 1.

Monroe, This wired sweater guy a walking encyclopedia of monsters and can rattle off those German sounding names like ingredients for his quinoa blueberry pancake. He is witty, sweet, funny, protective, and a loyal friend.

I also liked Monroes different layers, he is a reformed Blutbad (wolf-like creature); a vegan who also happens to love Pilates; plays the violin; and tinkers with clocks for a living. His unlikely friendship with the Grimm really made the show for me in the early seasons.

My favorite part of the show overall though has been Adalinds journey from villian to loving and protective mother . I also always really enjoyed the character even as a villian as I thought she always showed a naiveness and immaturity that made her more relatable to me even when she was a heinous manipulative witch in the first two and a half seasons.

While I enjoyed Adalind the first two seasons though thanks to Claire coffee’s excellent acting she didn't actually become My favorite along with Nick until season 3 when she decided to keep Diania and really showed her compassionate side for the first time and from then on I really came to love the charecter.

As I have said above my favorite relationship on the show was Nick and Monroe but my favorite romantic relationship on the show and the only one I really cared for much was Nick and Adalinds. I think the writers done a pretty horrible job of setting up the relationship, I mean they have both basically sexually assaulted each other in the past and I can understand why that would put some viewers off but this is a fantasy show after all and a lot of these characters have done horrible things on each other so it didn’t really bother me.

I never expected or needed the show to put Nick and Adalind together though Oddly enough I did see the potential with Nick and Adalind to be something quite amazing from early on. I felt the two actors had great chemistry together even as enemies in the early seasons. Also had they been given a proper build up with better writing they might have been something special but personally I enjoyed them regardless, which is saying something since I usually don’t have any intrest at all in tv romances, but there was just something about thier relationship that I really enjoyed probably due to the actors chemistry.

My three favorite seasons were, 4, 5, 3, in that order and my least favorites were 2,1,6 but I enjoyed the whole series regardless of which seasons I liked or disliked more.

What I also loved, The Medieval Weapons Handed down from Nick’s Grimm ancestors, each of these weapons is designed to kill different kinds of wesen from all over the world.

My particular favorite weapon was the one that generated a targeted sound wave strong enough to destroy a Murcielago (a bat-like wesen). I enjoyed that episode. And that powerful triple barrel rifle? Awesome! It is the weapon with bullets that can penetrate a thick Siegbarst (ogre-like wesen) skin. Monroe branded it as the ogre gun.

I also enjoyed the fact that Monroe found someone to care for him as much as Rosalee does, I’m glad they found each other even if I personally never really found their relationship that interesting, I definitely think they had great chemistry with each other but I never really was that invested in thier relationship.

The Grimm books Just like the weapons, Nick inherited the books. I really enjoyed Nick reading handwritten accounts by generations of Grimms about their personal experience on their first encounter of wesen. The books illustrate how to destroy these creatures. It is a mine of information for wesen hunters. The books were also an excellent way to tie the Grimm series mythology with real actual historical events which I found fascinating as I absolutely love history.

RE: What I love about Grimm... - Zansy - 05-16-2018

Wow, that was a lot longer than I thought I’d come back to! Big Grin But what an interesting read.

I’m glad to hear that there are people who actually like Nick and Adalind best regardless of whether or not they’re together in canon. - And hey, I can definitely understand loving Monroe. (My own favorites are Rosalee and Monroe with Hank as a close third.)

And a definite yes on mythology and folklore as an original draw towards the show. I definitely enjoy SWM’s and CC’s acting, too, though I can’t say I ever tried to rank favorites in that category.

I agree that Nick’s relatable, but to be fair, Aunt Marie was engaged to a Wesen, so it seems that the more recent days of his family history allows for a certain leeway. He is, usually, a pretty good guy. And it’s always good when characters go through a certain amount of development throughout the show. (Which obviously happens to the majority of protagonists.)

Oh it definitely worked for me that Monroe’s a bit of an outcast originally, and to watch him go from that to someone who becomes part of a loving and trusting relationship. On top of the friendships he manages to form, particularly with Nick and Bud, but obviously also with the various other Scoobies to varying degrees. And yes, I have an especial weak spot for Monroe’s love for music. Particularly Cello (which I love as well) and Zither, which I find wonderfully quirky. Smile And I mean clocks. What’s not to love? I could’ve listened to him go on about those forever.

I thought Adalind an interesting character throughout, but I think the writers did her a disservice by how little they actually explored how hard it was for her to unlearn what she’d been brought up to believe. Adalind, like Monroe, has been raised with completely different values from Kehrseite people. But other than Monroe she’s actually been taught that she’s *worthless* if she’s not a Hexenbiest. When Adalind becomes a good mother eventually, that’s an amazing feat, not just a natural instinct kicking in. Her own mother only loved her for what she could accomplish.

Good to hear that enemies to lovers relationships work for you. Smile I prefer mine based in friendship and mutual trust (and I’m glad the writers offered me Monrosalee for that, always pleased when my favorite characters either like or love each other throughout, and those two clearly do). But I guess it’s nice if the writers think to introduce several relationships for the fans to pick from. And I’m very pleased with the various friendships we get to witness, too. (Even if I personally think they start and stop those a bit too easily on occasion.)

I must admit that I’m a little surprised that you don’t like season one more, as a lot of what you mention seems strongest in S1. (Both the weapons you like most are from that one -Game Ogre and Happily Ever Aftermath-, it’s where you get the foundations to Monroe’s and Nick’s friendship, the folklore/mythology connections are most visible...)

Good to hear that while you don’t like Monroe and Rosalee the way I do, you also appreciate the way they’re allowed to find someone to care for them after their not-so-great experiences in the past. It’s like I’m a bit uncomfortable with Nick and Adalind for various reasons (mostly the pre-relationship consent issues and their recurring trust issues), but I’m pleased for them being happy enough to stay together for years eventually.

I have to admit that I prefer the books over the weapons. Don’t get me wrong, medieval weapons (much like most things medieval) do interest me. But books filled with tons and tons of knowledge collected over centuries? Fantastic. I also enjoyed it when Nick updates his collection, mostly by writing his own Grimm diary, of course. But also by adding weapons that worked to defeat a particular foe, such as the watergun they used to defeat the Phoenix from Trial by Fire.

RE: What I love about Grimm... - Henry of green - 05-16-2018

(05-16-2018, 09:59 AM)Zansy Wrote: Wow, that was a lot longer than I thought I’d come back to! Big Grin But what an interesting read.

I’m glad to hear that there are people who actually like Nick and Adalind best regardless of whether or not they’re together in canon. - And hey, I can definitely understand loving Monroe. (My own favorites are Rosalee and Monroe with Hank as a close third.)

And a definite yes on mythology and folklore as an original draw towards the show. I definitely enjoy SWM’s and CC’s acting, too, though I can’t say I ever tried to rank favorites in that category.

I agree that Nick’s relatable, but to be fair, Aunt Marie was engaged to a Wesen, so it seems that the more recent days of his family history allows for a certain leeway. He is, usually, a pretty good guy. And it’s always good when characters go through a certain amount of development throughout the show. (Which obviously happens to the majority of protagonists.)

Oh it definitely worked for me that Monroe’s a bit of an outcast originally, and to watch him go from that to someone who becomes part of a loving and trusting relationship. On top of the friendships he manages to form, particularly with Nick and Bud, but obviously also with the various other Scoobies to varying degrees. And yes, I have an especial weak spot for Monroe’s love for music. Particularly Cello (which I love as well) and Zither, which I find wonderfully quirky. Smile And I mean clocks. What’s not to love? I could’ve listened to him go on about those forever.

I thought Adalind an interesting character throughout, but I think the writers did her a disservice by how little they actually explored how hard it was for her to unlearn what she’d been brought up to believe. Adalind, like Monroe, has been raised with completely different values from Kehrseite people. But other than Monroe she’s actually been taught that she’s *worthless* if she’s not a Hexenbiest. When Adalind becomes a good mother eventually, that’s an amazing feat, not just a natural instinct kicking in. Her own mother only loved her for what she could accomplish.

Good to hear that enemies to lovers relationships work for you. Smile I prefer mine based in friendship and mutual trust (and I’m glad the writers offered me Monrosalee for that, always pleased when my favorite characters either like or love each other throughout, and those two clearly do). But I guess it’s nice if the writers think to introduce several relationships for the fans to pick from. And I’m very pleased with the various friendships we get to witness, too. (Even if I personally think they start and stop those a bit too easily on occasion.)

I must admit that I’m a little surprised that you don’t like season one more, as a lot of what you mention seems strongest in S1. (Both the weapons you like most are from that one -Game Ogre and Happily Ever Aftermath-, it’s where you get the foundations to Monroe’s and Nick’s friendship, the folklore/mythology connections are most visible...)

Good to hear that while you don’t like Monroe and Rosalee the way I do, you also appreciate the way they’re allowed to find someone to care for them after their not-so-great experiences in the past. It’s like I’m a bit uncomfortable with Nick and Adalind for various reasons (mostly the pre-relationship consent issues and their recurring trust issues), but I’m pleased for them being happy enough to stay together for years eventually.

I have to admit that I prefer the books over the weapons. Don’t get me wrong, medieval weapons (much like most things medieval) do interest me. But books filled with tons and tons of knowledge collected over centuries? Fantastic. I also enjoyed it when Nick updates his collection, mostly by writing his own Grimm diary, of course. But also by adding weapons that worked to defeat a particular foe, such as the watergun they used to defeat the Phoenix from Trial by Fire.

I did really enjoy season 1 but i just happened to like the rest of the later seasons after season 2 better as I found season 1 a bit slow paced at times. The season did have of many of my favorite episodes and Monroe and Nicks growing friendship in season one was great as was the growing mythology. But I really disliked the season 1 finale though because it set up my least favorite storyline in the entire show the Juliette comma and amnesia arc. Also even though I put season 1 just above season 6 on my list as my second least favorite it could easily be level with season 6 those two are interchangeable in my rankings as I enjoyed them both immensely way better than season 2, but they also had some small problems which is why they are both not in my top 3.

The only season had any real problems with was season 2 beacuse even though it had some great stand alone episodes, the Juliette amnesia storyline in season 2 nearly ruined season 2 for me completely. They just dragged that storyline on far too long for my liking . But I really enjoyed Hank finding out about Nick being a grimm and enjoyed him becoming part of Nicks Grimm team. So season 2 was a real mixed bag for me but I kept watching and enjoying the season regardless.

RE: What I love about Grimm... - eric - 05-16-2018

The thing I loved the most about Grimm was that its basic story, a different yet similar world, a normal person trying to adapt to this new reality, slowly finding his place in it. I liked that this fantasy did not try to be science fiction but magical fiction--no attempt was made to be realistic. Not all the beings in the same group behaved the same--Monroe and his dad for example. I loved the dreams, I liked the arc when Juliette started getting her memory back until she finally learned about the new reality. My two favorite episodes were Monroe's trial in the woods and Cry Havoc. The least favorite season was 6, they could have tied up a bunch of issues but wasted a lot of time on WOW episodes. It is my most favorite show and it lasted more than 1 season. I am not sure when I will quit watching the DVD's, but based on what's on TV, probably not too soon.

RE: What I love about Grimm... - dicappatore - 05-16-2018

For me, if the show was like a fishing line, S1 set the hook. S2, I almost spat out the hook but by S3 the hook was set and I was hooked in.. Obviously the 2nd season was my least favorite. I am a Sci-fi/Fantasy/Mystical fan. My favorite character was Nick, Monroe 2nd then Hank. I actually have a friend that was a loner/quirky type similar to Monroe. He ended up joining the military. A tour in Iraq and it straighten him up. He is now married with 3 kids, not triplets. Retired and owns a restaurant business.

The rest of the cast did a great job in supporting the main character. Did not matter what side they were on, they did their jobs well. Did I ever foreseen, Nick could end up with Adalind, from S1 to S4? NO. Was I glad he did not end up with Juliette? Yes.

I loved the way they morphed this fantasy world into a modern-day city, IMO a lot better than Once Upon a Time and Beauty and the Beast. Especially how they adopted the fairy tales story lines with no magic. I also enjoyed how Nick & Company resolved crimes that could not be dealt with in the legal system, when the legal system was not adopted to resolve the Wesen infractions. Especially the Kenneth resolution and how they dumped the slashing incidents on him. That was a great trade off of getting Nick off the hook for killing Ken by letting Sean get away with what his possession did. I had wished for Nick to show more of a backbone but was made up by when Trubel showed up.

I had wished the show killed off Sean. A great reflection on the actor’s ability to make you hate him. Part of me wished the same for Juliette. At the same time, it served justice by letting her live out her life with her memories. Sort of like giving someone a life sentence instead of the death penalty. It might not give you immediate revenge satisfaction but prolong the guilt for what they did wrong. In the end, based on Kelly’s narrative I liked how she was reduced to irrelevant. As per Kelly, mom, dad and the triplets were waiting on Kelly and Diana but no Auntie Evette, to go kill Wesen.

One of my favorite scene had to be when Monroe is bitching how Nick is just using him as a reference and how he didn’t even know what his favorite color was. Then Nick asks him and Monroe replies, Red. Maybe it’s not the funniest but it’s the one that sticks in my mind the most. The rubber rat in the pizza box was nice and the Adalind finger bending of Rosalee’s ex, when he raised his hand to her. I have to admit, One of the scenes on the top of the list is when his mom shows up and kicks his ass, in his own house. Don’t know why. Even after re-watching it on Amazon and the DVD’s, when I think of Grimm, those scenes seem to pop up in my beginning thoughts.

Overall, S3 was my favorite, next S1 & S5, then S4 & S6, finally S2. IMO, the show should have lasted way past S6. Way beyond Supernatural. At least a full S6 to close up so many holes.

I am a signatory of:
https://www.thepetitionsite.com/954/113/415/nbc-please-renew-grimm-for-season-6/

You can also Click “like” and follow “Bring Back Grimm”, on Facebook.

RE: What I love about Grimm... - Zansy - 05-17-2018

@Henry of green I guess I just would place a season higher if I liked so much about it. But it’s entirely up to you, of course. To be honest, I haven’t really put all that much thought into overall seasons I like best so far. But I loved S1 (even though there are obviously far less Rosalee scenes) for the whole build up of the show and the closer adhering to being a fairytale-detective show mix. I have to admit that the coma arc didn’t bother me more (or less) than almost any other arc in canon. I’m fairly laissez-faire about them, while I often prefer WoW type of episodes over long-term arcs.

@Eric I was also very fond of Monroe’s trial. Obviously not to see Monroe suffer, but I enjoyed seeing him withstand and rather die than try to bargain, and I was very proud of Bud there, too. Also, seeing everyone else come to the rescue really worked for me. As did watching Rosalee tear someone’s throat out after he threatened Monroe. (I like watching characters getting protective of their loved ones. Particularly if getting violent is very rare for them.)

And I so agree that it’s good to see that while Wesen seem to share common traits with their people, they also can be quite different from one another, so it’s by no means “I read about this Wesen in a book and now I know everything there is to know about them”. The books can tell the Scoobies weak spots and how to fight evil Wesen. But they can’t offer a clear indicator whether or not a Wesen is actually good, evil or neutral. Because Wesen like Kehrseite and Grimms are individuals.

@Dicappatore Just a little aside here... talking about which regular character you’d like to see dead doesn’t really belong into this thread. It’s pretty likely there are Sean fans and I know there are Juliette fans. Imagine someone talking about your own favorites that way. There are loads of threads for topics like that, please don’t bring that here? I’d really like to keep this place safe from the woe that surrounds so many other threads around here.

Always good to hear that other people like Hank, too. I think he has a tendency to be overlooked a little for his Kehrseite is-and-remains-throughout sort of status. And I’m very pleased when people enjoy him as a character, because he certainly puts in a lot of good work, given what’s thrown at him.

And I liked the Kenneth resolution, too. (I’ll refrain from going into why, just in case there are any Kenneth fans. But let’s just say... there are deaths I was sadder about. And while I did feel terrible for Jacked!Sean’s victims -I really liked Henrietta and would have loved to see more of her-, that part really wasn’t Sean’s fault.) Yes! On the “what’s my favorite color” scene from Organ Grinder. Clearly a favorite of mine. And I very much enjoyed watching Adalind protect Rosalee and herself against Tony. Even if he wasn’t Rosalee’s ex in my book (“He thinks we had a relationship. We didn’t.” -5.08). And I agree that Kelly’s introduction was fun.

Oh and before I forget. I’m glad that you like Trubel. I’m very fond of her, too.

RE: What I love about Grimm... - brandon - 05-18-2018

I liked this world coexisting with the human world.
The different Wesen.
Some scenes I liked more than others, in others it is more than obvious that they are bad.

RE: What I love about Grimm... - dicappatore - 05-18-2018

It just came to mind the Juliette's college friend Alicia arc. I think it was on two episodes. All the time Juliette knew her, she did not know she was Wesen, I think a Fuchsbau. She was staying with them because of her abusive husband. When her husband shows up at the house, he ends up sucker punching an un-expecting Nick.

The girls proceed to put up a pretty good fight but the abusive jerk was persistence. Once Nick shows both Alicia and her husband his Grimm, he runs out with his tail between his legs and promises to leave Alicia alone, forever

After all that, I can not recall a scene where Juliette was more proud of Nick being a Grimm. Plus her gratification of finding out her friend was Wesen. Alicia was now aware of Juliette awareness of that world and her man was a Grimm and now that guy was never to bother her friend again.

RE: What I love about Grimm... - Zansy - 05-18-2018

@Brandon: I agree, the real world merging with a more fantastic version always really works for me, too. Smile

Dicapp, I really enjoyed that, too. (I generally have a thing for abusive partners being chased away or taken to task about their behavior.) And I thought it was nice to see Alicia and Juliette defend themselves *and* to see Nick ensure that the guy won't be back. Smile

A quote I really liked was Nick's "Yeah, you're a Klaustreich" line from The Thing with Feathers. This "yeah, yeah I know, you're big and scary, but I'm here to take you down" tone with which he delivers that line just pleased me so much.