Grimm Forum
Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others (/Thread-Did-the-Grimm-writers-make-Nick-to-reliant-on-others)

Pages: 1 2

Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - Henry of green - 04-09-2018

Nick was pretty good in a figth and had good instincts when dealing with dangerous wesen but did the show make him just a little to reliant on his scobbie gang particularly Monroe, Rosalee and Hank. Should they have have allowed him to be stronger and stand on his own two feet a little more often. The show often I thought under powered Nick too much for being the central hero, I really enjoyed his character but often thought he was too indecisive or too dependent on others. The writers often also made him too naive at times particularly in his decision making when dealing with Renard throughout the series.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - irukandji - 04-09-2018

(04-09-2018, 08:02 AM)Henry of green Wrote: Nick was pretty good in a figth and had good instincts when dealing with dangerous wesen but did the show make him just a little to reliant on his scobbie gang particularly Monroe, Rosalee and Hank. Should they have have allowed him to be stronger and stand on his own two feet a little more often. The show often I thought under powered Nick too much for being the central hero, I really enjoyed his character but often thought he was too indecisive or too dependent on others. The writers often also made him too naive at times particularly in his decision making when dealing with Renard throughout the series.

I think DG is a very nice guy in real life, but I also think that niceness transferred to the screen more than once and weakened his character. Because of that, I believe early on that the creators realized he was never going to be able to hold the story on his own. The gang gave him more of a backbone and a way to continue to fight wesen.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - dicappatore - 04-09-2018

(04-09-2018, 08:02 AM)Henry of green Wrote: Nick was pretty good in a figth and had good instincts when dealing with dangerous wesen but did the show make him just a little to reliant on his scobbie gang particularly Monroe, Rosalee and Hank. Should they have have allowed him to be stronger and stand on his own two feet a little more often. The show often I thought under powered Nick too much for being the central hero, I really enjoyed his character but often thought he was too indecisive or too dependent on others. The writers often also made him too naive at times particularly in his decision making when dealing with Renard throughout the series.

Henry, under powered is an understatement. He was a pushover. The only time he actually showed some balls is when he killed Ken. As the series progressed, he was much more than just a Grimm with police training. He had the Grimm instinct and don't forget the few episodes that enhanced his physical abilities. The zombie incident made him more acute to hearing and sensing and additional enhancements were added in one or two more episodes. But his decision abilities sometimes dragged too much for my liking.

Take season 2. The way Juliette treated him was over the top. Yea she was the love of his life but how much resentment can a guy take. Sure she had no memory of him but you would think the photographic proof of their relationship. Add in all the confirmations of them as a couple by all her friends, this should have made her a bit more sensitive to him. I didn't expect the photos or what her friends claimed as them being a couple in love to allow her to have sex or even sleep in the same bed. But her superlative attitude was too insulting for my taste.

I refer you to a scene when he gets home from work and she isn't home. He calls her and she tells him she is out with some friends having cocktails. The part of going out with friends for a few drinks wasn't the issue. The way she questioned his inquisitive phone call was condescending to say the least. I am not saying he should have ended it with her before he learned about the "KISS" effect from Sean, I would have shown a bit more assertiveness to her superlative attitude. She acted as if he never existed. Again, she was not at fault for loosing her memory of him but she could have shown a bit more sensitivity.

Now, I know some will reply with "Well thats when the creative team flock up". And I agree, they flocked it up big time. But I am critiquing the characters behavior as what I saw on the screen not what I wished for.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - rpmaluki - 04-09-2018

Nick was a novice at the start who had no other choice but to rely on Monroe, a walking, talking encyclopedia. He also had Rosalee and his books, as someone always learning about the many different wesen and their weaknesses, he had to be dependent on others. His brand of a protagonist isn't limited to this show, I have seen it on other sci-fi shows like Eureka. The main character is the hero always surrounded by people who know better, are more intelligent than him but only he contains the ability (and exceptional bravery) to execute whatever devil may care/hail mary type of saves that are spawned from the other more "genius" characters' intel. It's typical of these shows. Angel is another example, Bones is another but that show has two leads instead of one, Brennan is the brains while Booth is the brawn but the concept still applies. If he could do everything himself, he'd have no need for a supporting cast who will be reduced to background noise. The biggest complaints I have heard from the new Black Panther film come from some of his comic book fans who feel his character was downgraded in terms of smarts, leadership quality as well as strength in order to boost his supporting cast who have been lauded as the best ever seen in a genre movie since forever. If you have a character do everything and be good at everything, you risk the character being widely criticised for being a Mary Sue or Gary Stu, so evenly spreading out all the qualities in a handful of characters creates a balance that generally well received.

In S1 of AoS, you had the leader, a brilliant pilot/fighter, two genius scientists, a hacker and a generic fighter. You put them all together you have a fantastic team. You have one person who can do all these things, you have a very limited story that wont last past the first season. That's better suited for movies which are bubble stories not depended on continuing past the closing credits.

I have no issues with Nick's limited skills outside of what we saw on the show. I didn't mind that Monroe knew so much more than Nick, as he should since he grew up a wesen and was a bookworm. My problem came from the show falsely focusing on Eve at the end of the show when the show was about Nick and all of that hoopla around Eve amounted to absolutely nothing.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - irukandji - 04-10-2018

I understood this thread was a question about Nick and his reliance upon others. Yet, once again, there is one here who just can't leave the old, tired arguments about Juliette and her faults alone.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - eric - 04-10-2018

I would rather listen to a band with many musicians rather than just one(a few exceptions apply). Same with Grimm, the more people helping the Grimm to defeat the evil wessen and royals the better. In real life we all depend on others to help us plan and move forward. When they got the books from Uncle Felix both Nick and Truble saw many new wessen, that info could be of help in the future. Monroe provided information about the wessen world and different types of wessen, Rosalee had great spell and potions books-that apparently she had read and remembered. If Nick did not have his crew, who all knew more about some subjects than him, the show would have been a lot less interesting and probably would not have lasted as long as it did.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - dicappatore - 04-10-2018

(04-10-2018, 06:29 AM)eric Wrote: I would rather listen to a band with many musicians rather than just one(a few exceptions apply). Same with Grimm, the more people helping the Grimm to defeat the evil wessen and royals the better. In real life we all depend on others to help us plan and move forward. When they got the books from Uncle Felix both Nick and Truble saw many new wessen, that info could be of help in the future. Monroe provided information about the wessen world and different types of wessen, Rosalee had great spell and potions books-that apparently she had read and remembered. If Nick did not have his crew, who all knew more about some subjects than him, the show would have been a lot less interesting and probably would not have lasted as long as it did.

Given the success of Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Agents of Shields, just to name a few, how can anyone disagree with eric. My complaint wasn't with the gang or Juliette and how he dependent on them.

If some took the time to read my whole post with objectivity, stop for a few minutes and wake up to the fact that the show was more about Nick, instead of just focusing on what I wrote about Juliette. One would see that my complaint of Season 2 wasn't so much about Juliette and her treatment of Nick.

My main complaint was how he, Nick, lacked the backbone of standing up for himself, to her as a man, instead of a cuckold Grimm.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - irukandji - 04-11-2018

(04-10-2018, 06:29 AM)eric Wrote: If Nick did not have his crew, who all knew more about some subjects than him, the show would have been a lot less interesting and probably would not have lasted as long as it did.

I don't think so. In fact, I think it would have been more interesting and remained with us for a few more seasons at least. The formula of having a gang to do the backup work every now and then is a good one. For Grimm, however, it became mundane. None of the characters were ever really given a chance to shine on their own and grow because Nick was always relying on them to do something for him. They, in turn, seemed to be moonstruck followers who'd never question anything the man said.

As a for instance, the order to "kill" Juliette comes to mind.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - Robyn - 04-16-2018

According to statements G & K made in interviews, the network requested the addition of Adalind and Rosalee as recurring characters and Bud as an occasionally recurring character. And if I’m remembering correctly, G & K created the Wu character because Reggie Lee didn’t fit the Hank role he auditioned for but they liked what he had to offer.

So it could be that the network steered the show toward the lead character being surrounded by a larger supporting cast than originally planned. But with practically every episode a WoW, little screen time was available for fleshing out the lives of seven supporting characters beyond how those lives related to and interacted with the central character.

To me, the hero surrounded by supportive friends and believers in the cause is the typical format for shows like Grimm. What caused the most eye rolls for me was that Monroe and Rosalee were a walking library of all things Wesen, almost always having a book containing the WoW within arm’s reach whenever Nick arrived for information and human characters readily accepting the Grimm/Wesen world the minute Nick chose to clue them in. Juxtaposition and individuality were so rare within the core group that any variety came from each episode showcasing a different Wesen villain while the investigation and conclusion became increasingly predictable. But that too is probably typical of procedural shows, and it’s the writers and actors maintaining sufficient intrigue and excitement that makes tuning in each week worthwhile for viewers.

RE: Did the Grimm writers make Nick to reliant on others - eric - 04-16-2018

(04-10-2018, 10:03 AM)dicappatore Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 06:29 AM)eric Wrote: I would rather listen to a band with many musicians rather than just one(a few exceptions apply). Same with Grimm, the more people helping the Grimm to defeat the evil wessen and royals the better. In real life we all depend on others to help us plan and move forward. When they got the books from Uncle Felix both Nick and Truble saw many new wessen, that info could be of help in the future. Monroe provided information about the wessen world and different types of wessen, Rosalee had great spell and potions books-that apparently she had read and remembered. If Nick did not have his crew, who all knew more about some subjects than him, the show would have been a lot less interesting and probably would not have lasted as long as it did.

Given the success of Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Agents of Shields, just to name a few, how can anyone disagree with eric. My complaint wasn't with the gang or Juliette and how he dependent on them.

If some took the time to read my whole post with objectivity, stop for a few minutes and wake up to the fact that the show was more about Nick, instead of just focusing on what I wrote about Juliette. One would see that my complaint of Season 2 wasn't so much about Juliette and her treatment of Nick.

My main complaint was how he, Nick, lacked the backbone of standing up for himself, to her as a man, instead of a cuckold Grimm.
Not having seen any of the above shows(work schedule is a mess), do those shows have a supporting cast or not? I remember the Superman series on TV, the main character had to carry all the action himself. I also remember that the actor was so type cast he couldn't find any more work and killed himself.