Grimm Forum
Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar (/Thread-Rolek-Porter-how-did-he-live-under-the-wesen-radar)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - jsgrimm45 - 02-17-2018

Rolek told Nick he couldn't do what his dad did or what Nick was doing. Of hand I can't remember where he live but I do remember it was a large city in PA.

We know he was a Grimm we know he would fight and kill for his life and the life of his son. So I don't see him as a coward, now for the but how did he live under wesen radar?

Like did he have a behind the scene office job? Did he ware sun glasses when out in public? Did his wife know? Was she the reason he didn't work as a Grimm? How much would he have to limit his outdoor life?

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - wfmyers1207 - 02-17-2018

This is a question that I have asked myself. But, I think in the end it was just another one of those plot holes the show decided to gloss over. No way he could have stayed under the radar for decades.

The only thing I can think of is that while he wasn't a hunter, he would defend himself and his family as he did at the hotel. Sort of "live and let live". They don't bother him and his family, he won't bother them. Dodgy

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-17-2018

Aunt Marie apparently managed to stay under the radar while raising Nick, since he had no clue there was anything unusual about his life with her.

The simplest thing I can imagine is that grimms wanting to avoid the life move around until they find places to live where wesen populations are extremely small or nonexistent and avoid occupations that involve a lot of contact with the public.

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - eric - 02-17-2018

Rolek could only work in a low stress job and have a limited social network. Bartender, cop, undertaker, school teacher, social worker, marriage counselor can be crossed off the list. He was too old to have had an online job. He lived in a major city, going out in a crowed area would not be a good idea. Night watchman? Lighthouse keeper living at the lighthouse? Going to funerals and marriages would be risky. I doubt he knew about sunglasses, Monroe didn't mention it until before his marriage. According to Truble, wessen would yell "GRIMM" and then try to kill her. Telephone operator? Telephone salesman? Maybe he lived in a town with no wessen, Truble moved around a lot and always met wessen, even in a ladies upscale clothing store. Stumped on both questions.

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - irukandji - 02-17-2018

It would be unimaginable to think that wesen in Portland aren't walking around just being normal people. Nick didn't shy away from walking around in public either. If they didn't woge, they would have passed Nick and he them without incident. Rolek didn't exhibit himself to be a grimm so there'd be no need for him to exist under the radar either. Any wesen passing him by would take him for just an ordinary human and he them as well. He had to fight some, no doubt, but that just comes with them finding out he's a grimm.

Nick's presence as combination cop and grimm seemed to put woged wesen on a death track. Rolek's presence may have affected woged wesen differently. No doubt some wesen would be prepared to fight Rolek. But, after woging *and* seeing he wasn't a threat, would they simply leave him alone? I think so.

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - brandon - 02-17-2018

I think his interest was to have a life normal.
Maybe the others GRIMM would see it as a coward. He had the right to live as like.
Maybe he did not see all Wesen as bad.

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - dicappatore - 02-18-2018

Sometimes some read in too much for a character that wasn’t even on the secondary list of supporting character to the main role, which was Nick Burkhardt. Rolex was a low-level character to show up in Nick’s life to present him with a second key.

If you consider some of the expectations of what some contributors complaint about the creative team. It would take a spinoff series to plug all those holes for G&K to fulfill those demands

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - eric - 02-18-2018

(02-18-2018, 08:21 AM)dicappatore Wrote: Sometimes some read in too much for a character that wasn’t even on the secondary list of supporting character to the main role, which was Nick Burkhardt. Rolex was a low-level character to show up in Nick’s life to present him with a second key.

If you consider some of the expectations of what some contributors complaint about the creative team. It would take a spinoff series to plug all those holes for G&K to fulfill those demands
True enough, but most of us are just exercising our imaginations. Marie was a hunter, Kelly sought revenge, Nick protected of the weak, Truble was just trying to be left alone, so what was Rolex? Any guess is as good as another, just a fun exercise.

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - dicappatore - 02-18-2018

(02-18-2018, 04:06 PM)eric Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 08:21 AM)dicappatore Wrote: Sometimes some read in too much for a character that wasn’t even on the secondary list of supporting character to the main role, which was Nick Burkhardt. Rolex was a low-level character to show up in Nick’s life to present him with a second key.

True enough, but most of us are just exercising our imaginations. Marie was a hunter, Kelly sought revenge, Nick protected of the weak, Truble was just trying to be left alone, so what was Rolex? Any guess is as good as another, just a fun exercise.

I am happy with the idea that Rolek was a Grimm, living in Philadelphia. He was keeping a low profile until 2 things happened. 1st, he was dying of cancer and wanted to pass on his Grimm stuff to another. Since his son's Grimm was maybe skipped. If you recall, Nick got his Grimm when he was at least 10 years older than Josh, he had to find another Grimm to pass on the more important "Key".

2nd, he came up on Verat radar and had to dispense his Grimm possessions sooner that he planned to because he couldn't wait around to see if Josh eventually got his Grimm. Now all this is information we were given on the show, maybe not with the same assumptions I have made but they seem to match up with what we were given.

BTW, One of my wishes would be, Josh and Trubel would make a nice Spinoff match-up. We never find out how far apart they are from each other on the family tree and could become a Grimm romantic couple. They seem to have a great relationship in the show.

RE: Rolek Porter how did he live under the wesen radar - eric - 02-19-2018

(02-17-2018, 06:35 PM)irukandji Wrote: It would be unimaginable to think that wesen in Portland aren't walking around just being normal people. Nick didn't shy away from walking around in public either. If they didn't woge, they would have passed Nick and he them without incident. Rolek didn't exhibit himself to be a grimm so there'd be no need for him to exist under the radar either. Any wesen passing him by would take him for just an ordinary human and he them as well. He had to fight some, no doubt, but that just comes with them finding out he's a grimm.

Nick's presence as combination cop and grimm seemed to put woged wesen on a death track. Rolek's presence may have affected woged wesen differently. No doubt some wesen would be prepared to fight Rolek. But, after woging *and* seeing he wasn't a threat, would they simply leave him alone? I think so.
Let's say you are walking in the woods. You meet a hungry wolf or bear who is gowling and showing its fangs . Do you wait to see if it attacks or do you take your rifle and kill it? Wessen are taught from early childhood that the only good Grimm is a dead Grimm. Bud had no reason to think he would be attacked by Nick while fixing his fridge, yet he ran and told his friends there was a Grimm in town, they drove by the house and fled when Nick looked their way. Truble never said the wessen looked at her, said "Oh, how nice, a Grimm, having a nice day in our little town?" No, it was "Yell Grimm and try to kill me". Rolek would have had the same experience, no one waits until the Grimm is swinging his sword to say "Opps, guess I should have tried to kill her faster."