Grimm Forum
Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Characters (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Characters)
+--- Thread: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse (/Thread-Why-Juliette-is-such-a-dumb-arse)

Pages: 1 2

Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - dicappatore - 07-19-2017

S1, E22 Woman in Black. Just before she succumbs to Adalind’s cat scratch. Proof of Juliette stubbornness and stupidity. Here is the love of her life trying to protect her from danger and all she can come up with is suspicion of infidelity. WTF is giving her that suspicion. He is a detective. As such anyone with a half brain knows they work long and unusual hours. She has a cop in uniform sitting in his car outside her house. In the previous episode she has launched her own investigation on possible unaccounted type of DNA. She also starts to question fables like Big Foot.

But this dumb bitch, when confronted with a questionable “cat’s scratch”. She can only think of infidelity. This is an opinion. This is facts of what the writers put in her mouth as the character in the plot. If you want to speculate? Ask the question. Why is she so suspicious? She is not asking him if he had a previous relationship with Adalind, but if he is having one in the present. See the dialogue.

Maybe, just maybe, given her promiscuous past. I have posted a few examples, not opinions, given as small tid-bits of her past, that’s on the script, in various episodes. She is being suspicious cause that’s how deceitful people think. A great basis for the Hexenbiest she eventually becomes. She even admits in the dialogue below that he is being more attentive to her and his concern for her well-being is totally overlooked.

Nick; Juliette?
Juliette; I’m upstairs. Coming down. Hey.
NICK: Hey.
Juliette; I don't really feel like cooking. Do you?
Nick; No. Where do you want to go?
Juliette; I was hoping that you would ask. I made a reservation at Laurelhurst Market.
One at 9:00 in your name and one at 10:00 in my name just in case, you know.
Nick; Just in case what?
Juliette; I don't know. Things have been going pretty well lately. Knock on wood.
Nick; Uh-huh. Keep going.
Juliette; Well, you've been around a little bit more. A little bit more attentive.
Nick; Mmm. And? Ooh. What bit you today?
Juliette; Not a bite. It's just a scratch.
[They are kissing and embracing each other]
Nick; From a (GRUNTS) Dog?
Juliette; Uh-uh.
Nick; Cat?
Juliette; Uh-uh.
Nick; Bird?
Juliette; Uh-uh.
Nick; Wolf?
Juliette; Mmm.
Nick; Guinea pig, sidewinder, what?
Juliette; Just a cat.
Nick; Just a cat? You never talk about your patients that way. What, did you have to put one down?
Juliette; No. I wasn't going to tell you.
Nick; Tell me what?
Juliette; You promise you won't get mad?
Nick; About a cat? Why would I get mad about a cat?
Juliette; it was Adalind's cat, and I know that you don't like her, and she knows that, too. She didn't even want me to tell you.
Nick; Let me see that.
Juliette; Nick, what's the matter with you? Take it easy.
Nick; How long ago did this happen?
Juliette; Today, just before lunch. Baby, I get scratches all the time.
Nick; Not like this you don't. [sighs] You don't understand.
Juliette; Yeah, I don't understand. You're getting all worked up about nothing.
Nick; You don't know her like I do. Okay?
Juliette; You know, you said that once before. What does that mean?
Nick; Okay, we need to get you to a doctor right now and get that thing checked out.
Juliette; I'm not going to a doctor for a cat scratch.
Nick; Listen, your life could be in danger.
Juliette; That's ridiculous.
Nick; Juliette!
Juliette; I'm tired of this.
Nick; You don't understand what she is.
Juliette; What? What is she, Nick? She's an attractive, successful woman. You saved her life once. I don't know what it is you have against her now. What is it that you're not telling me? Do you have some kind of relationship with her?
Nick; No.
Juliette; Then what is it?
Nick; She's a witch, okay?
Juliette; You're going to need to try a little harder, Nick. What? Does she ride a broom? Because I distinctly remember her getting into a BMW.
Nick; You don't know what's going on here, Juliette.
Juliette; Then isn't it about time you tell me?
Nick; You're going to the doctor.
Juliette; I told you, I'm not going to a doctor till you tell me why you're acting so crazy.
[long pause]
Nick; Okay. You want the truth?
Juliette; Yeah, the truth would be nice.
Nick; Get your coat.
Juliette; I told you, I'm not going to a doctor. I know.
Nick; You want the truth, you're going to get it.

Here is another scene where the Juliette naivete is clearly exposed Season 2, Episode 12. Juliette and Adalind in the coffee shop. Just after Monroe catches Juliette playing tonsil hockey with Sean in the spice shop.

This bimbo, after she comes out of her coma, is constantly told of her ills before and after her coma are related to Adalind’s cat scratch, by Nick, Monroe, Rosalee and the respected Pilar she looked up to.

What does she do? Meets up with her nemesis Adalind for coffee. The same person whose cat scratched her and put her in her come. She might have forgotten Nick, but she still has memories of what led to her going into the coma and what others arround her have stated. You can clearly see how Juliette is totally oblivious to Adalind’s interrogating her for info on the whereabouts of the trailer, and succeeds, so Sean can go have a look-see for the key.

Even after Adalind brings up the subject and she is again warned by Nick over the phone before Adalind’s arrest. She still is so frekin stupid. This dumb ass know-it-all talks down to a trained criminal investigator and thinks she is a better detective than Nick and the whole Portland PD and her new beau, Captain Renard.

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - Hexenadler - 07-19-2017

The writers didn't know what to do with Juliette right from the start. Let's cut her some slack.

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - dicappatore - 07-19-2017

(07-19-2017, 12:52 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: The writers didn't know what to do with Juliette right from the start. Let's cut her some slack.

Well I am basing it on what they gave us about the character. Her flaws are in no reflection on the actor’s abilities. She is given a script to go by and is directed on attitude, mannerism, facial expressions and more. Unlike some that blame the actor playing Nick for his flaws.

If you want to see more of these actors adding their own interpretation of the character they played, try to watch Caroline and Jackie. I am told the same two actors and the rest of the cast had much more freedom to express themselves in the characters they played. Supposedly they even did lots of improvisation for the movie.

But for this series, the production staff had total control of the production. What I base my assessment on the character is based strictly on that, not what I wished for. I totally agree, IMO, the writers made many mistakes. But the Juliette I got was what’s on the screen not what I my mind.

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - irukandji - 07-21-2017

Major intelligence doesn't seem to be a high point with any of the characters. I don't know why Juliette would be singled out other than to start an argument.

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - degrimm - 07-21-2017

(07-19-2017, 06:14 AM)dicappatore Wrote: S1, E22 Woman in Black. Just before she succumbs to Adalind’s cat scratch. Proof of Juliette stubbornness and stupidity. Here is the love of her life trying to protect her from danger and all she can come up with is suspicion of infidelity. WTF is giving her that suspicion. He is a detective. As such anyone with a half brain knows they work long and unusual hours. She has a cop in uniform sitting in his car outside her house. In the previous episode she has launched her own investigation on possible unaccounted type of DNA. She also starts to question fables like Big Foot.

But this dumb bitch, when confronted with a questionable “cat’s scratch”. She can only think of infidelity. This is an opinion. This is facts of what the writers put in her mouth as the character in the plot. If you want to speculate? Ask the question. Why is she so suspicious? She is not asking him if he had a previous relationship with Adalind, but if he is having one in the present. See the dialogue.

Maybe, just maybe, given her promiscuous past. I have posted a few examples, not opinions, given as small tid-bits of her past, that’s on the script, in various episodes. She is being suspicious cause that’s how deceitful people think. A great basis for the Hexenbiest she eventually becomes. She even admits in the dialogue below that he is being more attentive to her and his concern for her well-being is totally overlooked.

Nick; Juliette?
Juliette; I’m upstairs. Coming down. Hey.
NICK: Hey.
Juliette; I don't really feel like cooking. Do you?
Nick; No. Where do you want to go?
Juliette; I was hoping that you would ask. I made a reservation at Laurelhurst Market.
One at 9:00 in your name and one at 10:00 in my name just in case, you know.
Nick; Just in case what?
Juliette; I don't know. Things have been going pretty well lately. Knock on wood.
Nick; Uh-huh. Keep going.
Juliette; Well, you've been around a little bit more. A little bit more attentive.
Nick; Mmm. And? Ooh. What bit you today?
Juliette; Not a bite. It's just a scratch.
[They are kissing and embracing each other]
Nick; From a (GRUNTS) Dog?
Juliette; Uh-uh.
Nick; Cat?
Juliette; Uh-uh.
Nick; Bird?
Juliette; Uh-uh.
Nick; Wolf?
Juliette; Mmm.
Nick; Guinea pig, sidewinder, what?
Juliette; Just a cat.
Nick; Just a cat? You never talk about your patients that way. What, did you have to put one down?
Juliette; No. I wasn't going to tell you.
Nick; Tell me what?
Juliette; You promise you won't get mad?
Nick; About a cat? Why would I get mad about a cat?
Juliette; it was Adalind's cat, and I know that you don't like her, and she knows that, too. She didn't even want me to tell you.
Nick; Let me see that.
Juliette; Nick, what's the matter with you? Take it easy.
Nick; How long ago did this happen?
Juliette; Today, just before lunch. Baby, I get scratches all the time.
Nick; Not like this you don't. [sighs] You don't understand.
Juliette; Yeah, I don't understand. You're getting all worked up about nothing.
Nick; You don't know her like I do. Okay?
Juliette; You know, you said that once before. What does that mean?
Nick; Okay, we need to get you to a doctor right now and get that thing checked out.
Juliette; I'm not going to a doctor for a cat scratch.
Nick; Listen, your life could be in danger.
Juliette; That's ridiculous.
Nick; Juliette!
Juliette; I'm tired of this.
Nick; You don't understand what she is.
Juliette; What? What is she, Nick? She's an attractive, successful woman. You saved her life once. I don't know what it is you have against her now. What is it that you're not telling me? Do you have some kind of relationship with her?
Nick; No.
Juliette; Then what is it?
Nick; She's a witch, okay?
Juliette; You're going to need to try a little harder, Nick. What? Does she ride a broom? Because I distinctly remember her getting into a BMW.
Nick; You don't know what's going on here, Juliette.
Juliette; Then isn't it about time you tell me?
Nick; You're going to the doctor.
Juliette; I told you, I'm not going to a doctor till you tell me why you're acting so crazy.
[long pause]
Nick; Okay. You want the truth?
Juliette; Yeah, the truth would be nice.
Nick; Get your coat.
Juliette; I told you, I'm not going to a doctor. I know.
Nick; You want the truth, you're going to get it.

your assessment about juliette here,to me, is totally misplaced.
you can say she's stubborn, naive but stupid in this aspect isn't just right. it is difficult to believe something that is common.
her suspicion of infidelity is totally justified cos first she's a woman and women gets jealous and also insecure; nick's stories and explanation were not concrete enough and lack facts to really convince her, like she said cat scratch is an occupational hazard and she probably got a tetanus shot as it's practically what the norm is; it's like saying u get coma from a paper cut in the office when u took time to treat it and even disinfect it.
also detectives dont work long and unusual hours all the time and we also know that detectives are very well respected and valued so it's not a stretch if she has those suspicions. it's like a doctor who also work long and unusual hours and they are well respected and valued people.
the uniform cop and her DNA investigation are 2 different scenarios and it's not until the very last minute, he blunted out that adalind was a witch.
For someone who grew up with life as close to paradise as she did even when she had knowledge of a lot of Spanish myths to her advantage, being told half stories to believe is pretty far fetched.

(07-19-2017, 06:14 AM)dicappatore Wrote: Here is another scene where the Juliette naivete is clearly exposed Season 2, Episode 12. Juliette and Adalind in the coffee shop. Just after Monroe catches Juliette playing tonsil hockey with Sean in the spice shop.

This bimbo, after she comes out of her coma, is constantly told of her ills before and after her coma are related to Adalind’s cat scratch, by Nick, Monroe, Rosalee and the respected Pilar she looked up to.

What does she do? Meets up with her nemesis Adalind for coffee. The same person whose cat scratched her and put her in her come. She might have forgotten Nick, but she still has memories of what led to her going into the coma and what others arround her have stated. You can clearly see how Juliette is totally oblivious to Adalind’s interrogating her for info on the whereabouts of the trailer, and succeeds, so Sean can go have a look-see for the key.

Even after Adalind brings up the subject and she is again warned by Nick over the phone before Adalind’s arrest. She still is so frekin stupid. This dumb ass know-it-all talks down to a trained criminal investigator and thinks she is a better detective than Nick and the whole Portland PD and her new beau, Captain Renard.

to me i base her naivety on the fact that at least something beyond your power has to be investigated as you don't get a coma from a simple cat scratch so he ought to ve been more suspicious after.
also for someone of 6 years you dont remember but you remember the other people in your life including a dog, is a stupid story line the writers and producers tried to sell us, maybe you forget someone you ve known for months cos it's short term but not years as that is long term memory and we were told she probably have a short term memory loss.

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - dicappatore - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 06:55 PM)degrimm Wrote: your assessment about juliette here,to me, is totally misplaced.
you can say she's stubborn, naive but stupid in this aspect isn't just right. it is difficult to believe something that is common.
her suspicion of infidelity is totally justified cos first she's a woman and women gets jealous and also insecure; nick's stories and explanation were not concrete enough and lack facts to really convince her, like she said cat scratch is an occupational hazard and she probably got a tetanus shot as it's practically what the norm is; it's like saying u get coma from a paper cut in the office when u took time to treat it and even disinfect it.
also detectives dont work long and unusual hours all the time and we also know that detectives are very well respected and valued so it's not a stretch if she has those suspicions. it's like a doctor who also work long and unusual hours and they are well respected and valued people.
the uniform cop and her DNA investigation are 2 different scenarios and it's not until the very last minute, he blunted out that adalind was a witch.
For someone who grew up with life as close to paradise as she did even when she had knowledge of a lot of Spanish myths to her advantage, being told half stories to believe is pretty far fetched.

(07-19-2017, 06:14 AM)dicappatore Wrote: Here is another scene where the Juliette naivete is clearly exposed Season 2, Episode 12. Juliette and Adalind in the coffee shop. Just after Monroe catches Juliette playing tonsil hockey with Sean in the spice shop.

to me i base her naivety on the fact that at least something beyond your power has to be investigated as you don't get a coma from a simple cat scratch so he ought to ve been more suspicious after.
also for someone of 6 years you dont remember but you remember the other people in your life including a dog, is a stupid story line the writers and producers tried to sell us, maybe you forget someone you ve known for months cos it's short term but not years as that is long term memory and we were told she probably have a short term memory loss.

The whole coma and just forgetting about Nick was never posted by me as being a good arc or believable. I have posted plenty of re-write ideas as such. I think I even mentioned on other threads how frustrating it was for me to watch. “Dumb ass”, to me, is a local term used to mean stupid. I won’t paste the definition of the word that can be easiley looked up.

But her character in that coffee shop was so evident to me that she was being interrogated better than I have seen in some of Nick’s and Hank’s on the same show. I think this was done by the writers to show us that. Where I grew up, someone so naive would have been eaten alive.

This whole tread to point out to the pro Juliette fans that what we got on the show is not what they wished for. This was maybe at best a “Book Smart” woman but after all that has happened to her up to this point. To sit down and be so oblivious to what’s going on is stupidity.

The character of Juliette is not what some are perceiving her to be this stand up, strong intelligent person that was victimized by a Grimm. I just want to point out the character flaws that contributed to some of her bad luck.

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - irukandji - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 06:55 PM)degrimm Wrote: your assessment about juliette here,to me, is totally misplaced.

Absolutely correct. BTW, nice to see you, degrimm.

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - brandon - 07-22-2017

I think at first she is innocent, not able to imagine what was up to Nick.
Then she started to know and it was dangerous to be a police officer

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - degrimm - 07-22-2017

(07-21-2017, 09:27 PM)irukandji Wrote:

Absolutely correct. BTW, nice to see you, degrimm.

you too irukandji, it's good to be back

(07-21-2017, 08:57 PM)dicappatore Wrote: The whole coma and just forgetting about Nick was never posted by me as being a good arc or believable. I have posted plenty of re-write ideas as such. I think I even mentioned on other threads how frustrating it was for me to watch. “Dumb ass”, to me, is a local term used to mean stupid. I won’t paste the definition of the word that can be easiley looked up.

But her character in that coffee shop was so evident to me that she was being interrogated better than I have seen in some of Nick’s and Hank’s on the same show. I think this was done by the writers to show us that. Where I grew up, someone so naive would have been eaten alive.

This whole tread to point out to the pro Juliette fans that what we got on the show is not what they wished for. This was maybe at best a “Book Smart” woman but after all that has happened to her up to this point. To sit down and be so oblivious to what’s going on is stupidity.

The character of Juliette is not what some are perceiving her to be this stand up, strong intelligent person that was victimized by a Grimm. I just want to point out the character flaws that contributed to some of her bad luck.

her character fitted the bill of her being a mother theresa and being too overly trusting in people. in the coffee shop, she was looking for answers and her supposed boyfriend didn't want to help her( i know what they said about him blaming himself for juliette's problems in season 2) but during the course of season 2 with the way it was written, it seemed as if he blamed her for forgetting him and the sean renard debacle; he should have looked for a solution but instead went about moping on the chair and waiting for her memory to drop from sky. it's the more reason she didnt confide in him about her hexenbiest problem.

RE: Why Juliette is such a dumb-arse - Robyn - 07-23-2017

I don’t see this scene as presenting Juliette as dumb, stubborn, or a bitch, instead, one of the few realistic human reactions on the show. Considering that Nick was lying to Juliette, her suspicion wasn’t unfounded. We shouldn’t expect characters to react based on what we know about the storyline. Viewers were informed of the Grimm/Wesen world in the first episode. Juliette was still in the dark in episode 22.

Juliette wasn’t victimized because she didn’t instantly believe Nick’s bizarre tale. Adalind had access to Juliette because Nick refused to tell her the truth. Had Nick told Juliette sooner, she might have refused to treat Adalind’s cat.

Dicappatore, are you saying that if a loved one said your scratch was from a witch’s cat, you’d immediately accept that as fact and began treating witch-causing ailments instead of dabbing on a little Neosporin?