Grimm Forum
EP loved Schrödinger's cat analogy - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+--- Thread: EP loved Schrödinger's cat analogy (/Thread-EP-loved-Schr%C3%B6dinger-s-cat-analogy)

EP loved Schrödinger's cat analogy - MarylikesGrimm - 04-05-2017

http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-2/nbc-grimm-creators-david-greenwalt-jim-kouf-post-mortem-interview

And I think also the whole Schrödinger's cat analogy was really smart.

DG: That was fun, wasn't it?

That was fun. It was mentioned a few episodes back, but actually to have that be the key to Nick getting his people back, that was cool. This scientific question basically within a fairy tale I thought was really fascinating. What was it about that worked for you guys as far as developing that idea?

JK: There was a logic to it and a way to explain other places, simultaneous worlds and parallel worlds.

After Nick goes through the wormhole thingy, there's also a world he leaves behind where everybody's dead, except the kids and Trubel.

DG: (Laughs) That's true too.

JK: We didn't go to that world. That's another plane.

Now that would be a very depressing world.

DG: Our show I think was best when myth and science met on some level. And there's a lot going on nowadays where quite advanced scientists are almost mystic, like in the Newtonian physics and even Einstein physics. They don't really hold up when you get the chaos theory and string theory and quantum physics, and so the idea is all these different realities, and then all the common occurrences in historical myths. I think our show is best when the creatures had a real point of view and a real mission to accomplish. They weren't villainous. But also when there was some science involved, that's where science and myth meet. It's a very interesting interception.

I thought the Schrödinger's cat analogy was confusing since real one has little to do with it. What do you think?

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment, usually described as a paradox, devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. It illustrates what he saw as the problem of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics applied to everyday objects. The thought experiment presents a cat that might be alive or dead, depending on an earlier random event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat_in_popular_culture

RE: EP loved Schrödinger's cat analogy - rpmaluki - 04-06-2017

The writers are just twisting themselves in knots to try and have the Las three episodes make sense. It doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

RE: EP loved Schrödinger's cat analogy - Circe27 - 04-06-2017

They are patting themselves on the back for it, thinking they are so clever but it really didn't make any sense.

RE: EP loved Schrödinger's cat analogy - speakeasy - 04-06-2017

Schroeder's cat in the box idea is very demonstrative of the Grimm ending episodes, imo. What is the reality? Which reality? That's the circular complexity of the three ending episodes and that provides the analogy for the cat concept. Is the reality that the cat died of poisoning while in the box or is the cat still alive - until the box is opened, there is no true reality because it is not perceived. Reality is perception.

So if time is taken back, removed from the individual perception, it's in effect, not there. Nick took back time from the perception of the gang via reentering the portal. The perception of that time reclaimed remained in the memory of both Nick and Diana, therefore theirs was an equal, but separate reality.

What was reality of what happened during that last three episodes? N and D's reality was true but different from the rest - they opened the box and so perceived it. The rest of the group, through manipulation of events, have a radically different reality. In the final scene in Monroe's house, N and D are standing by the closed box, and so are the rest of the group. Therefore, both are experiencing two different realities at the same time and place; they are co-happening. Same with the ending of the series.

I don't like the idea of considering two realities at the same place and the same time, but I get it. I will not be thinking about it much, though, because it freaks me out to acknowledge it, however, I feel it has scientific soundness at its foundation.

RE: EP loved Schrödinger's cat analogy - MarylikesGrimm - 04-06-2017

(04-06-2017, 07:12 AM)speakeasy Wrote: I don't like the idea of considering two realities at the same place and the same time, but I get it. I will not be thinking about it much, though, because it freaks me out to acknowledge it, however, I feel it has scientific soundness at its foundation.

Schroeder's cat the science idea is about understanding traditional quantum physics and how atomic particles and probability theory work devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. This model does not work for parallel universes and different models are used (see 2 articles below). Only some of these theories can be tested.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/736841/parallel-universes-multiverse-theory-physics-quantum-mechanics

By SEAN MARTIN
PUBLISHED: 16:56, Sat, Nov 26, 2016 | UPDATED: 17:48, Sat, Nov 26, 2016

PARALLEL universes DO exist and they influence each other, according to a revolutionary theory from a group of physicists.

"The idea of parallel universes in quantum mechanics has been around since 1957.

"In the well-known ‘Many-Worlds Interpretation’, each universe branches into a bunch of new universes every time a quantum measurement is made.

“All possibilities are therefore realised – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth. In others, Australia was colonised by the Portuguese.

"But critics question the reality of these other universes, since they do not influence our universe at all. On this score, our ‘Many Interacting Worlds’ approach is completely different, as its name implies."

The team’s new theory proposes our universe is just one of many gigantic worlds – some of which are almost identical to ours while others are completely different.

They add all of the worlds are equally real and exist on the same timeline, and all of them interact through a universal force of repulsion – essentially bumping in to each other.

Dr Hall says their approach could help researchers test the theory of multiverses.

He said: "The beauty of our approach is that if there is just one world our theory reduces to Newtonian mechanics, while if there is a gigantic number of worlds it reproduces quantum mechanics.

"In between it predicts something new that is neither Newton's theory nor quantum theory.

"We also believe that, in providing a new mental picture of quantum effects, it will be useful in planning experiments to test and exploit quantum phenomena."

By SEAN MARTIN

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/01/what-is-the-multiverse

By Stephanie Margaret Bucklin | Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The many universes interpretation could settle some lingering questions in physics. That is, if it’s correct at all.

In fact, Chary noted that if the multiverse was purely a philosophical question, it shouldn’t be studied. For instance, if the proposed “bubbles” were too far apart, and scientists would not be able to obtain relevant data to confirm their existence, Chary says that scientists should not study it. “The nature of science is, take observational data, test a hypothesis, and try to interpret the data in the hypothesis,” he stressed. “Here, we’re trying to get absolute truth here. We would like to know why our universe is the way it is. If I can’t take data to answer that question, then I should be doing something else.”

RE: EP loved Schrödinger's cat analogy - speakeasy - 04-06-2017

(04-06-2017, 08:14 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 07:12 AM)speakeasy Wrote: I don't like the idea of considering two realities at the same place and the same time, but I get it. I will not be thinking about it much, though, because it freaks me out to acknowledge it, however, I feel it has scientific soundness at its foundation.

Schroeder's cat the science idea is about understanding traditional quantum physics and how atomic particles and probability theory work devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. This model does not work for parallel universes and different models are used (see 2 articles below). Only some of these theories can be tested.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/736841/parallel-universes-multiverse-theory-physics-quantum-mechanics

I know tha

By SEAN MARTIN

PARALLEL universes DO exist and they influence each other, according to a revolutionary theory from a group of physicists.

"The idea of parallel universes in quantum mechanics has been around since 1957.

"In the well-known ‘Many-Worlds Interpretation’, each universe branches into a bunch of new universes every time a quantum measurement is made.

“All possibilities are therefore realised – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth. In others, Australia was colonised by the Portuguese.

"But critics question the reality of these other universes, since they do not influence our universe at all. On this score, our ‘Many Interacting Worlds’ approach is completely different, as its name implies."

The team’s new theory proposes our universe is just one of many gigantic worlds – some of which are almost identical to ours while others are completely different.

They add all of the worlds are equally real and exist on the same timeline, and all of them interact through a universal force of repulsion – essentially bumping in to each other.

Dr Hall says their approach could help researchers test the theory of multiverses.

He said: "The beauty of our approach is that if there is just one world our theory reduces to Newtonian mechanics, while if there is a gigantic number of worlds it reproduces quantum mechanics.

"In between it predicts something new that is neither Newton's theory nor quantum theory.

"We also believe that, in providing a new mental picture of quantum effects, it will be useful in planning experiments to test and exploit quantum phenomena."

By SEAN MARTIN

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/01/what-is-the-multiverse

The many universes interpretation could settle some lingering questions in physics. That is, if it’s correct at all.

In fact, Chary noted that if the multiverse was purely a philosophical question, it shouldn’t be studied. For instance, if the proposed “bubbles” were too far apart, and scientists would not be able to obtain relevant data to confirm their existence, Chary says that scientists should not study it. “The nature of science is, take observational data, test a hypothesis, and try to interpret the data in the hypothesis,” he stressed. “Here, we’re trying to get absolute truth here. We would like to know why our universe is the way it is. If I can’t take data to answer that question, then I should be doing something else.”

I know that post was written in English because I recognized alot of the words. But I got the sense it supported parallel universes (except for Chary's remarks). I'm going to throw in with Stephen Hawkings theory of quantum gravity and mechanics, at least I think I am. No empirical evidence available does not automatically translate into no value in studying a certain scientific concept, imo.

So, if I interpret your post correctly, I'll stick with my original approach to the cat in the box analogy. Thanks for trying to explain a abstract notion to a concrete thinker, Tongue, appreciate the additional information.