Grimm Forum
Adalind's apology - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Adalind's apology (/Thread-Adalind-s-apology)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Adalind's apology - izzy - 02-23-2017

Speakeasy, I apologize, I thought I sent this post eons ago, and found it on my desktop tonight. I am sorry for the tardy reply – Izod.

(02-10-2017, 07:50 PM)speakeasy Wrote: The good news is minority groups such as black Americans, members of the LGBT community, all women, and the physically and mentally challenged have had their rights recognized by acts of law in most developed countries, and especially in the USA. The bad news is it has caused great upheaval in our society as we try to adjust to this new age.

I think it is good news overall, but I am skeptical of the advancements made for the LGBT. Note the word is skeptical. As you indicated above, my skepticism (rather than firm opinion) is in regard to the culture that makes up our society, and the level of permissiveness, also, in the generic sense when one groups rights advancement seems to be infringing on the free exercise of other people's rights, i.e. a baker who does not want to bake a cake for a LGBT couple(or other analogies).

I am going to make two more comments, not to provoke a response or a debate but to serve as qualifiers to my statement of skepticism.

#1) My brother is HIV positive, had AIDS and had his viral load backed off, so now he is just considered POZ(if anyone wants to here some disturbing commentary about that feel free to e-mail e privately, as it is bone chilling). So it is not with a bit of understanding that I frame references to LGBT.

#2) He readily acknowledges that they recent (last three decades) societal acceptance of alternative lifestyles, and the various expression of that is what lead to his situation.

So in closing on this, what I am trying to say that my skepticism around the advancement of rights for all groups may come at level of generalized societal cost.

(02-10-2017, 07:50 PM)speakeasy Wrote: Our nation's culture is richer and greater than ever, imo. But I'm not saying we have assimilated these enormous changes into the mix by any measure. It still feels like the rug's been pulled out from under us. These are scary times because we can no longer fall back on the accepted standards and mores we structured our lives around some decades back. It must be harder for those of religious faith. My feeling is it will take at least three generations to adjust to this new norm. But I have high hopes that it will improve the general lot of most of humankind.

It is interesting you came up with three generations. For cultural anthropologists (or at least when I was in school) it was taught that the appropriate pace for moving a taboo to an acceptable mores is three generations. It had been studied in culture after culture, to determine the pace that often lead to decline.

The U.S. had an almost episodic period a few decades back, when AIDs first emerged. Had homosexuality and bisexuality had the same level of acceptance level it has today, the damage to the general society could have been devastating on both financial terms and in terms of family structure. Fortunately the taboo mechanism was in tack enough to stigmatize the behavior in such a manner that it likely prevented widespread dissemination into the greater heterosexual community.

You can also see this effect in the migration of tattoo culture in the U.S. The generalized taboo in the business community probably kept enough of a check on what might have been wide dissemination of the practice that sanitation and health standards were able to get ahead of the sea adoption from a health standpoint in the majority of communities. A community like mine was less fortunate, and health related problems proliferated which caused the County to cajole the municipality to effectively ban the establishment of any new tattoo parlors and called for the long term elimination of all of them systematically. This artistic expression has been stifled in a community that may have benefited economically from it economically as a result.

(02-10-2017, 07:50 PM)speakeasy Wrote: You may be correct in your assessment that Nick's being heroic to some fans is a result of the lowering of the ethical bar by which we measure it. He's not Captain America, but he is much more genuine in his humanity, imo. Flawed but not corrupt. Uncertain but resolute. Self-contained but affectionate. Fierce but compassionate. He's a Grimm with a conscience; he's an aberration, a born executioner who acknowledges the Wesen right to life and the Wesen way of life. He's a low-keyed phenomenon, in my view.

He has killed, and he's killed for revenge. But he's used his power to destroy only wesen who do harm and has rescued countless innocent victims, both Wesen and Kehrisiete. He's a warrior on the front lines of a daily battle in the world of Grimm. He's not the hero of the halcyon days of our youth, but a more recognizable one of the here and now.

I’ll just make a few comments. If Renard is to believed, most of the crime in Portland was wesen related. Nick was supposedly an effective cop before he became Grimm, implying he was effective against wesen without knowing they were wesen. Using the standard, lawful, and non-life taking measures that are the collection of procedures that make up civil law enforcement, Nick was able to effectively discharge the duties of his job. Enter Nick the Grimm and suddenly Miranda rights, search and seizure protocol is discarded, and murder, framing individuals for crimes they did not commit are in. Once again, before becoming a Grimm Nick is effective as a LEO, after Grimm, Nick turns his back on the very foundation of law that is the Rosetta Stone of our society.

Moreover, I think someone could make the case that it was Nick’s emergence as Grimm that provided the impetus for BC rising so prominently in Portland.

Kindest regards...

Izzy

RE: Adalind's apology - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-23-2017

(02-23-2017, 09:19 PM)izzy Wrote: I’ll just make a few comments. If Renard is to believed, most of the crime in Portland was wesen related. Nick was supposedly an effective cop before he became Grimm, implying he was effective against wesen without knowing they were wesen. Using the standard, lawful, and non-life taking measures that are the collection of procedures that make up civil law enforcement, Nick was able to effectively discharge the duties of his job.

My theory on this one...

From the number of wesen we saw in prison when Nick and Hank visited, and from the fact that PPB officers weren't being found gutted on a regular basis, when wesen criminals found themselves facing officers they couldn't run away from, instead of woging and killing them, they surrendered and played kehrseite all the way through the legal system. Maybe because wesen population centers all had someone who would report violations of the Gesetzbuch Ehrenkodex to the Wesen Council, and if enough violations occurred there'd be Marechaussee roaming the streets hunting for the violators.

When Nick went Grimm, individual wesen he encountered did attack him, but there still wasn't a wholesale epidemic of wesen attacking kehrseite and keherseite cops. Maybe because Nick was just one Grimm, but the Wesen Council could send way more than one Marechaussee if they wanted to...until Conrad and his buddies assasinated the Wesen Council.

Seems like all bets should be off now, doesn't it?

But really, the BC uprising in Portland wasn't nearly as big a deal as they tried to make it seem. They wrecked a bunch of shops, infiltrated one precinct and slipped a candidate into the mayoral election. Compared to 1950s Portland crime boss Jimmy Elkins, who had the mayor, the DA and the police chief in his pocket, they were a bunch of pikers.

RE: Adalind's apology - speakeasy - 02-24-2017

(02-10-2017, 07:50 PM)speakeasy Wrote: The good news is minority groups such as black Americans, members of the LGBT community, all women, and the physically and mentally challenged have had their rights recognized by acts of law in most developed countries, and especially in the USA. The bad news is it has caused great upheaval in our society as we try to adjust to this new age.

(02-23-2017, 09:19 PM)izzy Wrote: I think it is good news overall, but I am skeptical of the advancements made for the LGBT. Note the word is skeptical. As you indicated above, my skepticism (rather than firm opinion) is in regard to the culture that makes up our society, and the level of permissiveness, also, in the generic sense when one groups rights advancement seems to be infringing on the free exercise of other people's rights, i.e. a baker who does not want to bake a cake for a LGBT couple(or other analogies).

I am going to make two more comments, not to provoke a response or a debate but to serve as qualifiers to my statement of skepticism.

#1) My brother is HIV positive, had AIDS and had his viral load backed off, so now he is just considered POZ(if anyone wants to here some disturbing commentary about that feel free to e-mail e privately, as it is bone chilling). So it is not with a bit of understanding that I frame references to LGBT.

#2) He readily acknowledges that they recent (last three decades) societal acceptance of alternative lifestyles, and the various expression of that is what lead to his situation.

So in closing on this, what I am trying to say that my skepticism around the advancement of rights for all groups may come at level of generalized societal cost.

As regrettable as it is to know your brother is dealing with the effects of HIV, it is also providing medical science with ways to control or combat a contemporary virus. There will be others not associated with the gay lifestyle which may benefit from these advances. It's part of the face of the future which will march relentlessly on until it becomes the present. But consider how much more difficult it will be to make room in our world-views for this next few generations who will be required to accept changes that will come at a much faster pace - commensurate with the velocity of scientific discovery and human enlightenment.

I acknowledge the painful reality of threats to a societal establishment we all need in order to function with civility and sanity. That's the price we're going to pay. But to me our entire recorded history (including archaeological evidence) has been survival by overcoming obstacles, I feel our species will adapt.

(02-23-2017, 09:19 PM)izzy Wrote: It is interesting you came up with three generations. For cultural anthropologists (or at least when I was in school) it was taught that the appropriate pace for moving a taboo to an acceptable mores is three generations. It had been studied in culture after culture, to determine the pace that often lead to decline.

The U.S. had an almost episodic period a few decades back, when AIDs first emerged. Had homosexuality and bisexuality had the same level of acceptance level it has today, the damage to the general society could have been devastating on both financial terms and in terms of family structure. Fortunately the taboo mechanism was in tack enough to stigmatize the behavior in such a manner that it likely prevented widespread dissemination into the greater heterosexual community.

You can also see this effect in the migration of tattoo culture in the U.S. The generalized taboo in the business community probably kept enough of a check on what might have been wide dissemination of the practice that sanitation and health standards were able to get ahead of the sea adoption from a health standpoint in the majority of communities. A community like mine was less fortunate, and health related problems proliferated which caused the County to cajole the municipality to effectively ban the establishment of any new tattoo parlors and called for the long term elimination of all of them systematically. This artistic expression has been stifled in a community that may have benefited economically from it economically as a result.

Your position supports the fear that contemporary thought toward people and practices will pave the way to societal decline - and it's a fair assessment. However, I'm seeing it as the evolution of humankind toward a better understanding of the rights of all life. Only time will tell, I guess.

izzy- Wrote: I’ll just make a few comments. If Renard is to believed, most of the crime in Portland was wesen related. Nick was supposedly an effective cop before he became Grimm, implying he was effective against wesen without knowing they were wesen. Using the standard, lawful, and non-life taking measures that are the collection of procedures that make up civil law enforcement, Nick was able to effectively discharge the duties of his job. Enter Nick the Grimm and suddenly Miranda rights, search and seizure protocol is discarded, and murder, framing individuals for crimes they did not commit are in. Once again, before becoming a Grimm Nick is effective as a LEO, after Grimm, Nick turns his back on the very foundation of law that is the Rosetta Stone of our society.

Moreover, I think someone could make the case that it was Nick’s emergence as Grimm that provided the impetus for BC rising so prominently in Portland...

The laws of humans do not apply with justice to most wesen crimes on Grimm. So the Wesen Council was the authority charged with enforcing Wesen law. The two simply do not, almost without exception, cross boundaries in their application. So I can't agree with your position on this subject. Human society is a separate and equal one from Wesen society. In order for it to apply fairly, Kehriseites would have to acknowledge the existence of Wesen. Nick applies Wesen justice when it is needed and Kehrseite justice when appropriate, imo. But he's no moral pillar to be used as a model for good behavior, just a flawed but well-intentioned good guy, to this fan.

In my view, he is in no way responsible for the rise of BC.

RE: Adalind's apology - brandon - 02-24-2017

Maybe that depended if Nick got evidence. would have to be very skilled for that. Without proof, there is no trial.

(02-24-2017, 06:53 AM)brandon Wrote: Maybe that depended if Nick got evidence. would have to be very skilled for that. Without proof, there is no trial.

Think a person can be charged with a crime even without factual evidence, just the suspicion of having broken the law. A jury of peers would give a decision of guilty or not guilty an equal amount of times, imo. Because most crimes are committed without witnesses. Presenting a case in a human court that involves a wesen woging and using its superior strength to act unlawfully upon a kehrseite citizen would be thrown out because of its bizarre content. Just wouldn't work, im my opinion.

RE: Adalind's apology - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-24-2017

(02-24-2017, 06:47 AM)speakeasy Wrote: The laws of humans do not apply with justice to most wesen crimes on Grimm. So the Wesen Council was the authority charged with enforcing Wesen law. The two simply do not, almost without exception, cross boundaries in their application.

I don't think this is accidental, either. We know that wesen and grimms have worked for the royals at various times, so neither are unknown to kehrseite authority. We also know that royals, wesen and grimms have signed charters in the past.

So I think what probably happened at some point was a formal agreement in which the royals, who at the time were the kehrseite authority, agreed to keep their people in the dark about wesen (because humans have a tendency to reach for the pitchforks even if their leaders tell them not to) and the Wesen Council agreed to keep wesen from using their woge to prey excessively on kehrseite, with the grimms doing most of the field work and reapers being used to keep grimms from going off the rails.

Somewhere along the way this arrangement got fuzzy, possibly when royals lost their power, but the bones are still there. Even today's non-royal governments, when facing a wesen uprising, continued to keep the existence of wesen secret and tried to recruit grimms. Wouldn't surprise me if the Wesen Council and HW had maintained a communications channel before the Council was massacred.

(02-24-2017, 06:47 AM)speakeasy Wrote: The laws of humans do not apply with justice to most wesen crimes on Grimm. So the Wesen Council was the authority charged with enforcing Wesen law. The two simply do not, almost without exception, cross boundaries in their application.

(02-24-2017, 01:57 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: I don't think this is accidental, either. We know that wesen and grimms have worked for the royals at various times, so neither are unknown to kehrseite authority. We also know that royals, wesen and grimms have signed charters in the past.

So I think what probably happened at some point was a formal agreement in which the royals, who at the time were the kehrseite authority, agreed to keep their people in the dark about wesen (because humans have a tendency to reach for the pitchforks even if their leaders tell them not to) and the Wesen Council agreed to keep wesen from using their woge to prey excessively on kehrseite, with the grimms doing most of the field work and reapers being used to keep grimms from going off the rails.

A practical arrangement for keeping civil order that must have worked for centuries. Monroe said that most kehrseites could not process the existence of the wesen world and he was right, when we consider the trauma Hank and Wu underwent during their initiations. Lucky they had Monroe and Nick and others to ease them into it; most folks would just lose their grip on sanity because of having to face the reality of wesen on their own. And you're right; there would be blood in the streets shed by terrified kehrseites, typical human response to the perceived outside threat.

(02-24-2017, 01:57 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Somewhere along the way this arrangement got fuzzy, possibly when royals lost their power, but the bones are still there. Even today's non-royal governments, when facing a wesen uprising, continued to keep the existence of wesen secret and tried to recruit grimms. Wouldn't surprise me if the Wesen Council and HW had maintained a communications channel before the Council was massacred.

If past is prologue, they did. What seems different now, though, is those wesen who are revolting are no longer willing to move around in kehrsiete communities under cover of secrecy. But we'll most likely not see the outcome of that uprising, too little time left.

RE: Adalind's apology - izzy - 02-24-2017

(02-24-2017, 02:48 PM)speakeasy Wrote: A practical arrangement for keeping civil order that must have worked for centuries. Monroe said that most kehrseites could not process the existence of the wesen world and he was right, when we consider the trauma Hank and Wu underwent during their initiations. Lucky they had Monroe and Nick and others to ease them into it; most folks would just lose their grip on sanity because of having to face the reality of wesen on their own. And you're right; there would be blood in the streets shed by terrified kehrseites, typical human response to the perceived outside threat.

I guess I would say that is Monroe's opinions probably based on centuries of folklore. The U.S. is a very accommodating place these days(some would argue to the point of of cultural suicide). I do not recall an instances of people firing up the 4 wheel drive vehicles and hunting BigFoot after numerous sightings, some purporting violent type of encounters, same with the Loch Ness Monster or any other fantastic creatures purported to exist. Nor do I recall people being driven to the brink of insanity. More over a lot off humanoid creatures existed that were not hunted or eradicated out of malice (general great apes).

My point is, this may suit the storyllne but it hardly seems to reflect modern society. Overnight the ACLU would be representing wesen (and perhaps all ACLU lawyers are wesen anyways).

(02-24-2017, 02:48 PM)speakeasy Wrote: A practical arrangement for keeping civil order that must have worked for centuries. Monroe said that most kehrseites could not process the existence of the wesen world and he was right, when we consider the trauma Hank and Wu underwent during their initiations. Lucky they had Monroe and Nick and others to ease them into it; most folks would just lose their grip on sanity because of having to face the reality of wesen on their own. And you're right; there would be blood in the streets shed by terrified kehrseites, typical human response to the perceived outside threat.

(02-24-2017, 03:14 PM)izzy Wrote: I guess I would say that is Monroe's opinions probably based on centuries of folklore. The U.S. is a very accommodating place these days(some would argue to the point of of cultural suicide). I do not recall an instances of people firing up the 4 wheel drive vehicles and hunting BigFoot after numerous sightings, some purporting violent type of encounters, same with the Loch Ness Monster or any other fantastic creatures purported to exist. Nor do I recall people being driven to the brink of insanity. More over a lot off humanoid creatures existed that were not hunted or eradicated out of malice (general great apes).

My point is, this may suit the storyllne but it hardly seems to reflect modern society. Overnight the ACLU would be representing wesen (and perhaps all ACLU lawyers are wesen anyways).

Very astute counterpoint, izzy. You'd make a very successful lawyer. Just want to add to the record that there may be few dauntless souls who wouldn't be shaken by the specter of a person changing into an animal directly in front of them. My response would be to try to kill the thing (or flee the scene) and ask questions later. Smile

RE: Adalind's apology - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-24-2017

(02-24-2017, 02:48 PM)speakeasy Wrote: If past is prologue, they did. What seems different now, though, is those wesen who are revolting are no longer willing to move around in kehrsiete communities under cover of secrecy. But we'll most likely not see the outcome of that uprising, too little time left.

I'm thinking that the biggest reason why that happened was that when the disenfranchised came together into BC they decided to take out the Wesen Council that was enforcing the Gesetzbuch Ehrenkodex. The question, now that the majority of BC seems to have been eliminated, is what the wesen community at large, that is, the non-criminals and those who were reasonably content with things as they were, is going to do. Will they decide that they liked some of what BC claimed to stand for, or will they be clamoring for a new Wesen Council that will pick up where the old one left off?

(02-24-2017, 03:14 PM)izzy Wrote: I guess I would say that is Monroe's opinions probably based on centuries of folklore. The U.S. is a very accommodating place these days(some would argue to the point of of cultural suicide). I do not recall an instances of people firing up the 4 wheel drive vehicles and hunting BigFoot after numerous sightings, some purporting violent type of encounters, same with the Loch Ness Monster or any other fantastic creatures purported to exist. Nor do I recall people being driven to the brink of insanity. More over a lot off humanoid creatures existed that were not hunted or eradicated out of malice (general great apes).

There is presently a pending bill in the New Mexico state senate to ban public institutions from using taxpayer funds to attempt to hunt or capture Bigfoot.

Recently someone in the new federal administration argued that schools in rural areas need to keep guns on hand in case of grizzly bears.

Poaching of endangered primates is a huge problem in Africa.

We already try to eradicate out of malice without wesen:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/world/asia/kansas-attack-possible-hate-crime-srinivas-kuchibhotla.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/15/nyregion/15hate.html
http://queenstribune.com/nypd-report-hate-crimes-rise-citywide/