Grimm Forum
Adalind's apology - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Adalind's apology (/Thread-Adalind-s-apology)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Adalind's apology - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-11-2017

It may seem as if Nick's friends follow him without question at the end of an episode, but that's only because he usually spends the first half of every episode asking them all the questions. Most of the time, the decision is either made by all of them together, or all Nick's options are ones they have provided him with and the decision can only be made at the last instant.

But yes, Nick's friends trust him to do the right thing. And he trusts them to point him in the right direction. The scoobie team's role is not to question Nick's choices, but to provide him with the information and options he needs to make the right ones.

If you want to know who the most heroic character is between Nick and Sean, ask yourself which character, given the same information, would be the most likely to make choices based on the interests of others even at a cost to himself and which would make choices based on his own interests at the cost of others'. Would Sean have slammed the door to the tunnel and taken on the BC army alone so nobody would know his friends were down there? Would Nick have stood by and done nothing to interfere when someone was torturing the mother of his child? Or, for that matter, a total stranger?

RE: Adalind's apology - syscrash - 02-11-2017

Her is the difference between Nick and Sean. Sean demands people to follow him. He leads through fear and intimidation. Nick never ask people to follow him. they do it because they want to. SEan always puts his interest before others. Even when Sean is doing a good thing he will benifit from it.
The same is true with Juliette / Eve and Adalind. Both Julette and Eve will sacrifice without expecting personal gain. There was no personal gain when Juliette help Nick get his powers back. There was no personal gain when Eve took on the factory or rescued Nick. With Adalind everything has been a benefit for her. Even when she left with Kelly. The argument was does she sacrifice and stay. or does she be prudent and leave. She chose to be prudent instead of making the sacrifice. Even when Nick mom explained sacrifice for the benefit of her child. Adalind was not willing to sacrifice. even people on this forum have a problem with recognizing the need to sacrifice.

That is why I keep saying Adalind's values are more inline with Sean. The same as Juliette and now Eve's values are more inline with Nick. People keep saying Adalind is a mother so that limits what she can do. But in the episode "Breakfast in Bed" Monroe who is not a father of Triplets was willing to put him self in danger and make a sacrifice without no chance of personal gain. It was not to protect the ones he cared about. It was out of reverence for a relative that was a victim. The same reverence that gave Rosalee an understanding why Monroe would make the sacrifice. I have always said Adalind make a single sacrifice that is not self serving an i will agree she is a changed person. But as of yet like Sean Every action has a self serving motive. Even if the reason for doing it is to help someone else.

RE: Adalind's apology - Robyn - 02-11-2017

I don’t think anyone has suggested Renard is a hero or even good guy. Grimm thrives on ambiguity and it’s characters are neither completely good all the time or completely bad all the time.

Nick absolutely put himself between his friends and the BC attack, so there’s no question he was willing to make that sacrifice. The WoW are pretty cut and dry - Team Grimm vs. bad Wesen. But the S5 arc wasn’t a WoW episode, and if the team had stepped outside their comfort zone and asked pertinent questions and shared information that didn't come from a book, maybe they wouldn’t have been trapped inside the loft.

Yes, Nick did not know the stick would save him when he went up against BC alone, but there was a journey that led him and his ‘no questions asked’ friends into that predicament. And as a Grimm, Nick was doing his job. It’s no different than a firefighter not expecting his buddies to go into a burning building with him.

Quote:I have always said Adalind make a single sacrifice that is not self serving an i will agree she is a changed person.
Do you see the man who chose his family above his Grimm heritage as being self serving?

Evidently, I can’t fathom this die to prove yourself worthy concept. Willing to die for someone, yes. Needing to prove it, no.

RE: Adalind's apology - syscrash - 02-11-2017

Quote:Do you see the man who chose his family above his Grimm heritage as being self serving?
Nick still being a Grimm is putting his heritage before his family and that is self serving. His realizing he now has a son, had he done like Roland Potter and stopping being a Grimm that would have been a sacrifice. Something that would have given Nick any benefit. Actually it would have made things harder because again he would be open for retaliation. Like he was when he lost his powers.

It is not needing to die to prove your willingness to sacrifice. It is putting yourself in harms way that proves you are willing to sacrifice.

RE: Adalind's apology - Hell Rell - 02-11-2017

I think one of Juliette's best moments was when she helped her friend fight off her abusive partner. Adalind had a similar moment when she came out and told Tony she would call the cops. It may not seem like much because she didn't put her fists up but she put herself in harm's way to come to Rosalee's aid. She would've been safer staying in the back because Tony hadn't yet known she was there.

RE: Adalind's apology - irukandji - 02-12-2017

(02-11-2017, 03:31 PM)syscrash Wrote: Even when Nick mom explained sacrifice for the benefit of her child. Adalind was not willing to sacrifice. even people on this forum have a problem with recognizing the need to sacrifice.

Kelly told Adalind, "sometimes we have to sacrifice what we love most."

Where's Kelly's law of sacrifice? Instead of ignoring the email from Juliette, she rushes to the house, putting Diana in extreme danger.

She's a hypocrite and her actions that night made everything a complete and catastrophic mess.

If she believed in her own words, she never would have showed up and left Nick to deal with the danger. After all, he made the decision to go along with Kelly in the first place.

RE: Adalind's apology - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-12-2017

(02-11-2017, 05:09 PM)syscrash Wrote: Nick still being a Grimm is putting his heritage before his family and that is self serving. His realizing he now has a son, had he done like Roland Potter and stopping being a Grimm that would have been a sacrifice.

We were never given any details about Rolek Porter's life as a Grimm. For all we know, Porter's wife could have raised Josh at home and told him that his dad was a travelling salesman while he spent his working years traveling the world grimming until he got too old and sick to conintue and decided to make Josh take him and his collection to Nick. The Verrat certainly knew who he was, and were dogging his path all the way to Portland. Not something that you'd expect to suddenly happen just because he decided to travel west after spending years living a quiet life.

RE: Adalind's apology - MarylikesGrimm - 02-12-2017

(02-12-2017, 12:51 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 05:09 PM)syscrash Wrote: Nick still being a Grimm is putting his heritage before his family and that is self serving. His realizing he now has a son, had he done like Roland Potter and stopping being a Grimm that would have been a sacrifice.

We were never given any details about Rolek Porter's life as a Grimm. For all we know, Porter's wife could have raised Josh at home and told him that his dad was a travelling salesman while he spent his working years traveling the world grimming until he got too old and sick to conintue and decided to make Josh take him and his collection to Nick. The Verrat certainly knew who he was, and were dogging his path all the way to Portland. Not something that you'd expect to suddenly happen just because he decided to travel west after spending years living a quiet life.

IMO Josh acted like he knew his dad well so he did see him part of the time growing up.

RE: Adalind's apology - Robyn - 02-12-2017

I don't know anything about this character except what I've read here, and I remember discussions about him choosing to be a family man instead of a Grimm. But I could be remembering speculations/wishful thinking.

RE: Adalind's apology - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-12-2017

People who travel for work do come home.