Grimm Forum
Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle (/Thread-Moral-Philosophy-of-El-Cuegle)

Pages: 1 2 3

Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - wfmyers1207 - 01-28-2017

This thread is purely for academic discussion so don't anyone get all outraged on me. Smile

It would seem that the mission of El Cuegle was to kill infants before they become the next Jeffrey Dahmer or Charles Manson. Now, this brings up an some interesting hypothetical questions.

For the sake of argument, let us say that someone can see into the future and know unerringly what will happen. Would they be justified in taking preemptive action and killing someone before they have the opportunity to commit the crime ala "Minority Report".

Two possible arguments occur to me:

1) If you take no action then the blood of the people our evil baby will kill someday is also on your hands.

2) Killing a child that has not, and cannot have, done any wrong up until that moment in time can only be considered the cold blooded murder of an innocent.

Discuss. Dodgy

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - jsgrimm45 - 01-28-2017

I would add a third point to think about is the future hard or could you change the person some how? Like this thread so I'll give it more thought as I can see both your opinions.

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - Hexenadler - 01-28-2017

Whatever you feel about the issue, we think we can all agree being this kind of Wesen would have to suck.

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - speakeasy - 01-28-2017

That wesen of the week definitely saw visions of the future in which the babies murdered people when they reached adulthood. Based on that, I feel he was doing the right thing. And he obviously was a tortured soul who was suffering from the horrible reality he lived with every day. He was cursed, imo.

El Cuegles should never procreate and thus put an end to an unspeakable moral choice for their progeny. Which poses another moral dilemma.

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-28-2017

El Cuegle in this case has already not killed once, so he knows his vision of the future was right because his eye that sees the past probably makes him watch those 10 people his last missed dinner killed being murdered over and over again.

Does make me wonder, though, what if he had killed the parents instead?

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - eric - 01-28-2017

This is along the old argument--if you could go back and kill Hitler during WW1, would you do so? Conflicting moral values that cannot be resolved. Me, I would vote yes, but most of us would probably be alive because our parents(or grandparents) probably would not have married when they did, and would not have been together when they did. A whole lot of major events would not happened. Etc, Etc, etc.

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-28-2017

El Cuegle's argument was not about going back in time and changing history, it was about acting in the present because you know what the future will be. Although my guess is that he also would have voted yes on the time travel question.

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - MarylikesGrimm - 01-28-2017

(01-28-2017, 11:07 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: El Cuegle in this case has already not killed once, so he knows his vision of the future was right because his eye that sees the past probably makes him watch those 10 people his last missed dinner killed being murdered over and over again.

Does make me wonder, though, what if he had killed the parents instead?

Why not tell a wesen social worker instead?

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - Hexenadler - 01-28-2017

(01-28-2017, 10:07 AM)speakeasy Wrote: That wesen of the week definitely saw visions of the future in which the babies murdered people when they reached adulthood. Based on that, I feel he was doing the right thing. And he obviously was a tortured soul who was suffering from the horrible reality he lived with every day. He was cursed, imo.

Yup. Take action and be branded a baby-killer, or take no action and allow a monster to come into his own. It would be hell.

It makes me question the episode's fatalism. Is death really the only solution?

RE: Moral Philosophy of El Cuegle - MarylikesGrimm - 01-28-2017

(01-28-2017, 12:31 PM)Hexenadler Wrote:
(01-28-2017, 10:07 AM)speakeasy Wrote: That wesen of the week definitely saw visions of the future in which the babies murdered people when they reached adulthood. Based on that, I feel he was doing the right thing. And he obviously was a tortured soul who was suffering from the horrible reality he lived with every day. He was cursed, imo.

Yup. Take action and be branded a baby-killer, or take no action and allow a monster to come into his own. It would be hell.

It makes me question the episode's fatalism. Is death really the only solution?

Why not tell a wesen social worker instead?