Grimm Forum
Nicholas "Nick" Burkhardt - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Characters (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Characters)
+--- Thread: Nicholas "Nick" Burkhardt (/Thread-Nicholas-Nick-Burkhardt)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Nicholas "Nick" Burkhardt - Hell Rell - 12-28-2016

Nick would need to expose the wesen world if he were going to do things truly by the book. Even Monroe and Rosalee don't think that's a good idea and the negatives would outweigh the positives. The show gives off the impression that things will be a lot worse than they already are if that were to happen.

I'll use the Naiads as an example. Is it fair or not for all wesen to go through the legal system? How would that situation be handled? The obvious solution would be for them to not commit any crimes but that's not realistic. Putting a Naiad in lockup is equal to torture. They may be criminals but would it be right for them to fear for their lives for any infraction? There would have to be concessions made for them but that would require exposing themselves. It's not a black and white issue here. I did cringe a bit in that episode for this very reason. They were being tortured and essentially being threatened with death in a short time span.

RE: Nicholas "Nick" Burkhardt - irukandji - 12-28-2016

(12-28-2016, 08:31 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: Nick would need to expose the wesen world if he were going to do things truly by the book. Even Monroe and Rosalee don't think that's a good idea and the negatives would outweigh the positives. The show gives off the impression that things will be a lot worse than they already are if that were to happen.

I'll use the Naiads as an example. Is it fair or not for all wesen to go through the legal system? How would that situation be handled? The obvious solution would be for them to not commit any crimes but that's not realistic. Putting a Naiad in lockup is equal to torture. They may be criminals but would it be right for them to fear for their lives for any infraction? There would have to be concessions made for them but that would require exposing themselves. It's not a black and white issue here. I did cringe a bit in that episode for this very reason. They were being tortured and essentially being threatened with death in a short time span.

Let me pose this question. The wesen are here in Portland, USA and have been for quite some time. They, for the most part, follow the laws set forth by the government and the city of Portland. Things have been going well. I mean, we don't see anarchy in the streets or wesen wantonly killing anyone in their path, woged.

Consider there are wesen who live their entire lives peacefully and believe in our country. They follow the laws because that's what's set up for their protection.

Nick comes along and decides he's going to enforce some maybe they're ancient grimm laws or maybe they're not ancient grimm laws. When that doesn't apply, he makes it up as he goes along.

Aren't those wesen who've made the commitment to live by US federal and state laws being betrayed by a man who "makes it up as he goes along"?

RE: Nicholas "Nick" Burkhardt - syscrash - 12-28-2016

Quote:The canon of the show is not based on two worlds, syscrash. It's based on a world that Nick has made up as he goes along. The human world of Portland including wesen existed just fine before Nick the grimm showed up on the scene.
if there was only one world there would be no wesen council. There would be no wesen practices. there would be no secret society.
Wesen did not exist just fine. There have been a lot of episodes that refer back to event before Nick even know he was a Grimm. You forget there was Mari and His mom dealing with wesen problems. What Nick does did not start with Nick. The only thing Nick added was wesen issue where not automatically a death sentence.

RE: Nicholas "Nick" Burkhardt - Hell Rell - 12-28-2016

[quote='irukandji' pid='39080' dateline='1482939848'

Aren't those wesen who've made the commitment to live by US federal and state laws being betrayed by a man who "makes it up as he goes along"?
[/quote]

I think the Naiads were treated terribly even if they were suspected of a crime. The law should protect them against torture but the laws don't apply to Naiads. The law doesn't even know that it would be torture. They apply to everyone whose lives aren't at risk if they're in lockup.

Any cop who suspected a Naiad of a crime and had good reasons to bring them in wouldn't be breaking any laws. They would just be doing their job. I don't think Naiads would be very appreciative of them just doing their job because it would lead to an agonizing death.

I think your question applies to wesen who live their lives peacefully and don't get in trouble with the law. I'm worried about the ones who do even if they're criminals. I just don't think there's a clear solution for it all. Nick just happens to be the Grimm that has to deal with them. It would be tough for anyone to decide what to do. I don't believe everything Nick does is right but not everything he does is wrong either. This is one of the few areas of the show that can get me to think about things in the grey area. It has more to do with the concept itself than the way it's written on the show.

Quote:Let me pose this question. The wesen are here in Portland, USA and have been for quite some time. They, for the most part, follow the laws set forth by the government and the city of Portland. Things have been going well. I mean, we don't see anarchy in the streets or wesen wantonly killing anyone in their path, woged.
what about Ryanacin bashing, Blutbad and bauwerswhin. Even monroe and his family where involved in that back are forth. How about Monroe talking about him and his hunting buddies.

We have many examples of things where not fine. But from the wesen it was an accepted way of life. For the humans there where unexplained disappearance or murders. Just another cold case for the police.

Quote:Consider there are wesen who live their entire lives peacefully and believe in our country. They follow the laws because that's what's set up for their protection.
In five season we did not see one wesen that did not have a story of some member of their family being a victim.

(12-28-2016, 09:01 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: I think the Naiads were treated terribly even if they were suspected of a crime. The law should protect them against torture but the laws don't apply to Naiads. The law doesn't even know that it would be torture. They apply to everyone whose lives aren't at risk if they're in lockup.

Any cop who suspected a Naiad of a crime and had good reasons to bring them in wouldn't be breaking any laws. They would just be doing their job. I don't think Naiads would be very appreciative of them just doing their job because it would lead to an agonizing death.

I think you're question applies to wesen who live their lives peacefully and don't get in trouble with the law. I'm worried about the ones who do even if they're criminals. I just don't think there's a clear solution for it all. Nick just happens to be the Grimm that has to deal with them. It would be tough for anyone to decide what to do. I don't believe everything Nick does is right but not everything he does is wrong either. This is one of the few areas of the show that can get me to think about things in the grey area. It has more to do with the concept itself than the way it's written on the show.

Just as a little FYI, my brother lives in one of those houses on the water in Portland. It is the coolest thing. He actually says there have been quite a few episodes of different programs filmed down there.

I think it comes down to something I think you said not real long ago, Hell Rell. Nick is lazy. It's easier to simply do away with wesen than come up with a better solution. If you notice, Nick never sweats out his decision to kill a criminal wesen rather than find the means to bring the wesen to justice.

If you take the Naiads into consideration, Nick isn't even following what Marie told him about saving the good ones.

Quote:Aren't those wesen who've made the commitment to live by US federal and state laws being betrayed by a man who "makes it up as he goes along"?
We never saw a single wesen that felt that they had been let down by the law. There are ones that feel the laws has butted in where they where not wanted. People forget these are wesen. Even Monroe believes the only justice is to rip the other guys throat out. Monroe had no intention of trying to arrest the ones that killed his uncle.

Krumpas was another case as to what should be done. They guy has know idea what he was doing. She he be put in jail. You let him go he will do it again. The lyconthrop case. was the mother really guilty. or the frog girl. She did everything she could to keep the guys away. There are a number of other cases that have ethical implications. Then those where the wesen is without a doubt guilty. But are to dangerous to be put in jail. The electric guy or the fire guy. The electric guy they had someone else pull the trigger. The fire guy they played dumb as to the consequences of their solution. On lochness the show have Trubel pull the trigger. Just example of how far the show goes to keep Nick's hands clean. Yet they address there is a moral issue here and there is not right or wrong answer.

(12-28-2016, 09:40 AM)syscrash Wrote:
Quote:Aren't those wesen who've made the commitment to live by US federal and state laws being betrayed by a man who "makes it up as he goes along"?
We never saw a single wesen that felt that they had been let down by the law. There are ones that feel the laws has butted in where they where not wanted. People forget these are wesen. Even Monroe believes the only justice is to rip the other guys throat out. Monroe had no intention of trying to arrest the ones that killed his uncle.

Krumpas was another case as to what should be done. They guy has know idea what he was doing. She he be put in jail. You let him go he will do it again. The lyconthrop case. was the mother really guilty. or the frog girl. She did everything she could to keep the guys away. There are a number of other cases that have ethical implications. Then those where the wesen is without a doubt guilty. But are to dangerous to be put in jail. The electric guy or the fire guy. The electric guy they had someone else pull the trigger. The fire guy they played dumb as to the consequences of their solution. On lochness the show have Trubel pull the trigger. Just example of how far the show goes to keep Nick's hands clean. Yet they address there is a moral issue here and there is not right or wrong answer.

That's not what I'm saying. We're not going to see the wesen who've made the commitment to live by US laws. What I am questioning is Nick's betrayal of those who have made the commitment and stuck to it. Nick has deliberately split the law so it suits him. In other words, there are laws for the good wesen who follow the law and Nick's rules for everyone else. He's in essence betraying those good wesen everytime he makes up his own rules for dealing with the bad ones.

Quote:That's not what I'm saying. We're not going to see the wesen who've made the commitment to live by US laws. What I am questioning is Nick's betrayal of those who have made the commitment and stuck to it. Nick has deliberately split the law so it suits him. In other words, there are laws for the good wesen who follow the law and Nick's rules for everyone else. He's in essence betraying those good wesen everytime he makes up his own rules for dealing with the bad ones.
Not sure what you are saying.
Take the father in star crossed. He was law abiding. He only struck Nick because Nick was a Grimm. Are you saying Nick was wrong for bending the law and not charging him for striking an officer. Had that been his mother she would have removed his head. Most of the encounters Nick had with wesen had it been his mother would have resulted in a dead wesen. Even Sean said charge the father for striking and officer. Nick said I don't want to do that I know why he did it.
so i that case should nick have followed the law and charged him. Followed grimm law and killed him. , or was he right to ignore the law. Also consider had the father not been wesen Nick would have charged him without a doubt.

As you see one set of rules does not fit all. when dealing with wesen you have to adjust if you want to be fair. It also means it is a case by case bases.

(12-28-2016, 11:41 AM)syscrash Wrote: Take the father in star crossed. He was law abiding. He only struck Nick because Nick was a Grimm. Are you saying Nick was wrong for bending the law and not charging him for striking an officer.

That's exactly what I'm saying. These people came to the US, they're citizens. It's against the law to strike an officer of the law. They should be charged. You're excusing the guy because he let his wesen nature get the better of him. Not every wesen goes right out and hits a law officer. This guy shouldn't be entitled to special privileges.