Grimm Forum
Wu - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Characters (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Characters)
+--- Thread: Wu (/Thread-Wu--2456)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Wu - Aunt Marie - 02-02-2017

(02-02-2017, 01:46 PM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: Wouldn't Reggies Lee mother maiden name be the same as the grandfather last name?

I'll correct myself from an interview I just found.

Quote:I'm a quarter Chinese and three-quarter Filipino. I don't look Filipino; I look more Chinese or Korean. It actually works in my favor, in terms of roles, it gives me a broader canvas. Valdez was the family name, and when I started out and was doing theater I went by Reggie Valdez. But I got sent home so many times (from auditions) for not looking Hispanic. My agent said, why don't you change your name? I thought, well, I could use 'Lee,' my grandparents' name on the Chinese side. It had a certain ring to it.
Source http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/2013/04/reggie_lee_sgt_wu_on_grimm_on.html

RE: Wu - MarylikesGrimm - 04-18-2017

Mary: Reggie says Wu was ranked higher than a detective on the show.

http://www.blastr.com/2017-3-24/nbc-grimm-reggie-lee-interview

Blastr: That was a question I had. Wu should have gotten a promotion.

Reggie: I know. Interestingly enough because they treat me like a little lackey on the show, but a sergeant is above a detective. The reason I'm at crime scenes is because I have to manage and oversee all the crime scenes and actually dole out to different detectives which crime scene they should be on. I did more management stuff. So the interesting part is that it seemed like he was an underling, yet he was really ranked above.

Blastr: He was always being ordered around by everybody.

Reggie: Correct. Exactly, and I had to justify that to myself. It really was like taking this management position. Yes, you would do that for the good of the case, for the good of this. But in some ways you had to retain some semblance of having some kind of power over them in some way, shape or form. But it's hard to say once they start with that particular thing.

RE: Wu - FaceInTheCrowd - 04-18-2017

Wu is most likely of mixed Chinese and Pilipino blood, just like Reggie.

The virus that infected Wu caused an evolutionary regression. In a Blutbad, it produced a proto-blutbad that resembled a classic werewolf. In a kehrseite, it produced a proto-human. When Wu went proto, the scripts always identified him as "NeanderWu."

Police ranks are not like military ranks. They're basically just pay grades. And Detective is not a rank. It's a job title. Detectives can have the rank of Officer, Sergeant or Lieutenant.

Having a higher rank does not mean you are "over" anyone with a lower rank. You give direction to people when you're the lead, and take it from others when they are. It's not at all unusual for an Officer assigned as the lead on a case to give direction to Sergeants or even Lieutenants who become involved with that case. Wu gives direction to Detectives like Nick and Hank when he assigns them cases (and he probably manages their shift rotations as well), and takes direction from them when he's providing support to them on their cases. Not because he's "under" them, but because they are the leads on their cases.

So Reggie's understanding of PPB ranks is kind of bent, at least as far as the real life PPB would be concerned.

RE: Wu - MarylikesGrimm - 04-19-2017

(04-18-2017, 11:12 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Wu is most likely of mixed Chinese and Pilipino blood, just like Reggie.

The virus that infected Wu caused an evolutionary regression. In a Blutbad, it produced a proto-blutbad that resembled a classic werewolf. In a kehrseite, it produced a proto-human. When Wu went proto, the scripts always identified him as "NeanderWu."

Police ranks are not like military ranks. They're basically just pay grades. And Detective is not a rank. It's a job title. Detectives can have the rank of Officer, Sergeant or Lieutenant.

Having a higher rank does not mean you are "over" anyone with a lower rank. You give direction to people when you're the lead, and take it from others when they are. It's not at all unusual for an Officer assigned as the lead on a case to give direction to Sergeants or even Lieutenants who become involved with that case. Wu gives direction to Detectives like Nick and Hank when he assigns them cases (and he probably manages their shift rotations as well), and takes direction from them when he's providing support to them on their cases. Not because he's "under" them, but because they are the leads on their cases.

So Reggie's understanding of PPB ranks is kind of bent, at least as far as the real life PPB would be concerned.

Many people who watch the show think Wu works/junior to Nick and Hank instead of being in different departments? Why do you think that is happening?

RE: Wu - FaceInTheCrowd - 04-19-2017

Because they're​ making the same mistake about rank.