Grimm Forum

Full Version: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The corrupt cop thread got me thinking again about something I have been pondering for a while now. Do standard police investigations turn deadly because of Nick's very presence as a grimm?

It seems that there's a certain point during the investigation where some action, maybe locating some incriminating evidence, maybe a suspicious move, suddenly causes the invisible woge. The wesen spots Nick, and tries beating it for safe ground. That doesn't always work out so the wesen is forced to attack Nick and ends up dead for his trouble. It's self-defense.

Does Nick's very presence escalate the investigation into a deadly encounter? Would the wesen ended up alive and in custody say, if Hank did the investigation without Nick?
Hmmm, this is worth some pondering…

Adalind’s woge appeared to be unintended, but I suppose we’d have to assume Grimm instinct would have kicked in had she attacked, otherwise Nick wouldn’t know what hit him. And IIRC, Rosalee’s shock/fright when realizing Nick was a Grimm caused her to woge.

I recall a S4 or S5 or S? episode where Hank tried to provoke a suspect to woge so he & Nick would know if they were dealing with a Wesen. But I don’t recall situations where Wesen ended up dead because they attacked only because they were frightened/shocked by Nick.
Rosalee in Woge smelling the blood on the carpet, Nick said:..and she see.- season 1-
I don't really remember an episode that had this exact scenario. That being Nick showing up to a crime scene or conducting an interview where the suspect ended up dead because of woging. There was some other circumstance that caused that to happen. I can't remember a wesen dying in self-defense. I'm not certain though so I guess someone will come and correct me.
(01-10-2018, 03:46 PM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]I recall a S4 or S5 or S? episode where Hank tried to provoke a suspect to woge so he & Nick would know if they were dealing with a Wesen. But I don’t recall situations where Wesen ended up dead because they attacked only because they were frightened/shocked by Nick.

What I was thinking is that wesen are so freaked out by Nick that they panic and experience the flight or fight reflex. After Nick has chased them down, they're still freaked out by him, but now they're cornered and the only alternative left is to fight. Which naturally gets them killed.

I'm thinking that if Hank was the officer on site, things more than likely would have ended differently. A suspect can always panic and things escalate, but judging from the number that are arrested by human officers, it seems more get brought in alive with them than those who come in contact with Nick.
When wesen suspects went into invisible woge and realized Nick was a grimm, they either reacted by giving up and begging him not to kill them, or by going full woge and trying to kill him. You could possibly make an argument that the ones who tried to kill him might have panicked because they believed a grimm would kill them on sight and might not have attacked a kehrseite cop who couldn't see the invisible woge.

Any wesen suspect who jumped right to full woge and attacked would probably have done the same whether Nick was a grimm or not. We saw a few of these over the seasons who went full woge thinking they were about to eviscerate a surprised kehrseite cop.

And there are no circumstances under which attacking a pursuing cop because you are unable to outrun him/her is ever "self defense."
As far I remember, none of the wessen tried to fight, they mostly fled or begged for their lives. Nick usually could calm them, but they all looked like they remembered their childhood boggy man nightmares.
(01-10-2018, 06:27 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]What I was thinking is that wesen are so freaked out by Nick that they panic and experience the flight or fight reflex. After Nick has chased them down, they're still freaked out by him, but now they're cornered and the only alternative left is to fight. Which naturally gets them killed.

I'm thinking that if Hank was the officer on site, things more than likely would have ended differently. A suspect can always panic and things escalate, but judging from the number that are arrested by human officers, it seems more get brought in alive with them than those who come in contact with Nick.
I don’t see a Wesen as mild as Bud resisting arrest, and wouldn’t attack unless events escalated to the point he felt he did have anything to lose by trying to defend himself. But a Wesen somewhere between a Bud and a Monroe, who might otherwise not be inclined to resist or attack, could manic when realizing it’s a Grimm and not a cop who’s about to slap on the cuffs.

But as I said earlier, I don’t recall any deaths that occurred because of panic during an interrogation or arrest. But there’s a lot of episodes I probably didn’t see, and most the details of those I watched have been forgotten.

Were there Wesen arrested by other police officers? I know it make sense that there would be, but did that happen on the show?
When Nick and Hank paid a visit to a prison, there were quite a few wesen inmates. It was only the second season, so no way were they all put there by Nick.

Prior to the demise of the Wesen Council, using the woge to victimize or kill kehrseite was a violation of the Gesetzbuch Ehrenkodex and punishable by death, so if you were a wesen criminal confronted by a kehrseite cop and did not surrender to the kehrseite justice system, you'd be on a WC marechaussee hit list.
Not only that but there was a wesen being booked during the very first episode of Grimm. I also believe one was taken into custody during the time BC vandalized the shops. I could be incorrect on that, but I thought Nick and Hank were talking to one in jail.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6